PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting up a bandwith limiter on a shared connection

ConMan318
September 23rd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Hello all. I live in a house of many (20-ish) people that use a shared internet connection. This can cause problems when someone is downloading something, and everyone else's connection slows to a crawl.

In short, I would like to set up our network in such a way that allows people to download all they want, but to have the speed of the download be limited so much that the effect on the internet for everyone else is negligible.

I have no idea how to go about doing this, but I have the support of everyone in the house to get this set up.

Ideally, this would be something that would allow on-the-fly changes to this limit; we all know each other rather well and it would be nice to be able to raise/lower this limit for short times on a personal basis, like if someone had to download something urgently for a class, I could grant them some time of unlimited data transmission.

How would I go about doing this? I am not new to Linux/Ubuntu, but am extremely unexperienced with setting up things like this.

Thanks in advance.

TriSwords
September 23rd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Not 100% sure if how well this works, but a co-worked of mine told me about this program last year if you have a router that supports it. Here is an article

http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

Supposed to allow you to put a custom firmware on supported routers that gives you control to who gets preference on the internet and what programs and such get priority for bandwidth (along with other controls).

He was living in a house with 10-12 people, and was the one in charge of controlling the router so he put a few of the online games some people in the house played as priority and told me he gave himself preferential treatment on the router too :lolflag:

ConMan318
September 23rd, 2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the post, but unfortunately the router we have is not supported. :(

It is a pretty old router. Any other suggestions? :)