PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Install ends at blank screen

Worsin
September 23rd, 2008, 03:49 AM
I have a raid 0 array with Windows XP on 1 partition Windows Vista on a second and a 100 gig partition set aside for Ubuntu.

When i boot off the install cd and select the install option it shows the Ubuntu Loading screen and then just goes blank.

I have tried to install this various times over a couple year period and never have been able to get it going on this computer.

Asus m2n sli deluxe mb (nVidia 570 AMD Chipset)
nVidia Raid Controller
evga 7600GT Video
Fatality Soundcard
4gb ram
4 250 gig HD in a Raid 0 Array

Really would like help with this as i have been trying to get this computer to triple boot for WAY too long now and do not want to have to try another build of linux.

EDIT: I just tried using the Install Ubuntu Inside Windows option and upon boot up it takes me to a command prompt that says (initramfs).

I guess Ubuntu just does not want to load on my computer for some reason. Im not using anything completely unusual which to me seems to reflect Ubuntus lack of support. I sure hope this becomes easier because i really hate windows.

Another Edit: i read up on some "fixes" for this issue. Tried turning all controllers to RAID nothing helps. I have tried every install option there is with no luck at all.

Someone please help!!!

Worsin
September 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
20 views and not 1 response?

Come on i was told this was an ACTIVE community.

Out of shear frustration i am attempting to uninstall the Ubuntu i have installed through windows. I had installed it using the install into windows function and now it wont uninstall. I try using add/remove programs and it does nothing.

Nice Job Guys cant even UNINSTALL IT!!!

Ubuntu is making me HATE LINUX.

Someone please help me turn this around so i don't have such a terrible opinion of this distro.

steveneddy
September 25th, 2008, 12:32 AM
This IS an active community.

You used WUBI? Installed through Windows?

Just install it on the disc after you partition.

WUBI sucks and gives problems.

Check for hardware compatibility or buy a machine with Ubuntu preinstalled.

cariboo
September 25th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Ignore the previous poster. Have a look at this howto:

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-ubuntu8.04-with-software-raid1

It looks a bit complicated, but if you installed operating system before you shouldn't have any problems.

Jim