PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm thinking about the Peace Corps..

Goombie
September 23rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
A couple weeks ago, I got the idea to join the Peace Corps (www.peacecorps.gov). I've been flip-flopping back and forth as to whether or not to actually apply, and if so, when to apply. So, I'd like to ask you guys and girls' opinion on it to (maybe) help me decide.

When did you volunteer the Peace Corps?
What was it like?
Is there anything you'd do differently?

This has been driving me crazy. Currently, I'm a junior at University, but I'm kind of "slow" so I likely won't finish at University until 2011 if I don't join the Peace Corps. I've been wanting a break of some kind as well, to get out of town. But, I also want to get my degree. You see why I'm going crazy here?
Thanks for the feedback! :popcorn:

Dr Small
September 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM
I've never heard of them before.

I-75
September 23rd, 2008, 03:32 AM
I don't know anything about the Peace Corps. I would suggest getting your degree first and get it out of the way. This way you can be free to pursue what you want.

jrusso2
September 23rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
I have had friends in the Peace Corp, it takes a real commitment. No Luxury.

If you have to ask if you should go your not ready.

dioltas
September 23rd, 2008, 05:13 AM
I'm not American, so I've never heard of it, but looks like some experience, and you'd be helping people out. I'd say definetly go for it. You probably won't have the chance to do something like it again.

I mean in 40 years you don't want to be looking back and regretting that kind of stuff. Just my opinion though. Fair play to you for thinking about it.

Edit: Just re-read your post, ya definitely get your degree first. Least you always have that under your belt then, whatever you do.

Whiffle
September 23rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
I have had friends in the Peace Corp, it takes a real commitment. No Luxury.

If you have to ask if you should go your not ready.

No kidding. I know someone who ended up in Kiev, Ukraine, in like, November. Big difference compared to Texas, which is bright and sunny most of the time. She ended up coming back.

I'd suggest two things:

1) Make sure the major you're doing right now is something you actually don't mind doing. It does not have to be exactly what you want to do the rest of your life, but make sure its something you can do without losing your mind.

2) Finish your degree, get it done and out of the way. You'll be more valuable to the Peace Corps anyway if you know some things.

3) ???

Goombie
September 23rd, 2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks for all the comments so far, everyone. Keep them coming!
Whiffle: I'm studying for a degree in Computer Science, although I haven't been accepted into the Computer Science program yet. Hopefully I wouldn't end up in Kiev; I'm hoping for South America, since I speak some Spanish.

Here's another thing to throw out: a friend of mine is going to China next year, for an entire year. I dunno, maybe it's jealousy on my part?

isaacj87
September 23rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
My Dad was in the Peace Corps and he absolutely loved it. In fact, he gives me such a hard time for joining the military and wished I would of went the Peace Corps route. Since I've never been in the Peace Corps, I can't give any personal feedback, but I can tell you that my Dad considers his experience incredibly enriching. He can go on for hours about it. In fact, that's how he met my Mom! (and they've been married for 30 years :) ) If anything, I think you should go for it. It's better to have experienced it and hated it then to look back years later wondering "what if."

If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to ask my Dad anything you'd like to know.

I appreciate anyone who does anything for country and with the hopes of making human lives better.

Take care!

matthew
September 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
I knew/met several Peace Corps people in Morocco and was always impressed with their kindness, their attitudes toward and willingness to do hard work, both in development and in language learning, and with their respect for other people.

They made a positive impression on me as an outsider.

earthpigg
September 23rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
I'm in the Marines, and let me tell you: screw that. I wouldn't do it.

Fundamental and basic things that you will always get in the military are entirely absent in the Peace Corps. An easy example of that is a tax-payer-provided source of clean-ish water.... even in Iraq, we had water tanks following us around and water purification systems, etc.

Peace Corps folks drink what the locals drink - you may have at least a source of iodine tablets but that is it. Same applies for everything else - if your out in the jungle in Nepal and break your leg... guess who's going to be fixing you up?

It is comparing apples to oranges, of course... but we always think of things in relative terms, and that is what I am able to relate it to with my experiences. :)

edit - s/f, isaacj87.

Bill Day
April 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I realize that I am coming to this thread a little late, but it is never too late to join the Peace Corps.

I served in Morocco from 1988-1990 and regard those two years as among the most valuable and rewarding in my life. I lived in a small oasis between the Middle Atlas Mountains and the Sahara Desert, among some of the kindest and most generous people I have ever met in my life. I taught high school English in my village during the school year, and then I worked in an orphanage in Casablanca during the summer break. Among other benefits, I think I came away with a more thoughtful appreciation of the Arab and Muslim world.

If I had to tote up my best lifelong friends, I would say that more of them come from the ranks of my fellow Peace Corps Volunteers than anywhere else.

There's a lot of dirt and drudgery, psychological isolation can take a real toll, and the job is not really very romantic, but it really is a great experience if you stick with it.

Jackelope
April 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Have you thought about AmeriCore? It's the same idea but here in the states....might be a cleaner/easier alternative if you're unsure about taking the Peace Core plunge. I looked into both a few years back, but decided to help the local community instead of either....which is also a good choice. Kudos to you for trying to do some good in this world.