PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] what is ~/.local/share/trash ?

tjwoosta
September 23rd, 2008, 02:55 AM
is this the actual trash?

the reason i want to know is because i was running a virus scan with clamav and i got this

tj@tj-laptop:~$ sudo clamscan -i -r /
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games/quake4/q4base/pak004.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games/quake4/q4base/pak005.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games/quake4/q4base/pak012.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games/quake4/q4base/pak003.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games/quake4/q4base/pak007.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games/quake4/q4base/pak019.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games/quake4/q4base/pak011.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games/quake4/q4base/pak008.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games/quake4/q4base/pak006.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games.2/quake4/q4base/pak004.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games.2/quake4/q4base/pak005.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND
//root/.local/share/Trash/files/games.2/quake4/q4base/pak012.pk4: Oversized.Zip FOUND

now first off i thought i uninstalled Quake4 a long time ago because it woudn't run on my computer

secondly i thought this was the trash folder but my trash says its empty

and third why is this in root's trash directory but not in /home/tj/.local/share/trash ?

diablo75
September 23rd, 2008, 02:58 AM
That is a seperate trash folder. It is where things go when you delete stuff as the root user using the sudo command.

I would run:

sudo nautilus

in a terminal window, browse to that folder, and then empty it. Use CTRL-H to reveal hidden folders so you can be sure to get it all out. Just make sure you don't delete something important by accident.

aysiu
September 23rd, 2008, 03:15 AM
It should be
gksudo nautilus not sudo nautilus

tjwoosta
September 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
ok awesome

just out of curiosity, how do i get to a root terminal?

i know i have done it before but i forget the command

tjwoosta
September 23rd, 2008, 03:19 AM
nevermind i figured it out

sudo -s

thanks for the help guys

aysiu
September 23rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
nevermind i figured it out

sudo -s

thanks for the help guys
It actually should be
sudo -i and not sudo -s

sudo -i gives you a root login with root's environment and sudo -s gives you a root login with a user environment.

Same problem with sudo nautilus. More details here:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo