PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ubuntu/Kubuntu upgrading too fast?

nitehawk777
September 23rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
Just a quick question,...
I'm still fairly new to Linux (less than a year,..but have tried oodles)! Kubuntu is just working TERRIFIC for me,...(love it). But I have read many posts and other things on the net that suggest NOT to use (quote) "any of the "buntus".....as they get upgraded far too quickly (six-months cycles) and there-fore may eventually "breakdown"......(?)

I'm not too sure what they mean, exactly,...but I believe they mean that the kernal may get up-graded too quickly for some of the apps to fit,..(etc.)

So does anyone experienced in the Ubuntu community have any ideas or input on that? Will Ubuntu/Kubuntu be fairly stable for some time to come? (hope so). Can't believe how well I like Kubuntu,....and I had read horror stories about it on the web (how you couldn't find any apps for it, etc. etc. etc.). I'm a "newbie"...and I've been able to install all I need (Wine, Firefox3.01, games,........)....works for me.:KS

jemate18
September 23rd, 2008, 01:48 AM
Just a quick question,...
I'm still fairly new to Linux (less than a year,..but have tried oodles)! Kubuntu is just working TERRIFIC for me,...(love it). But I have read many posts and other things on the net that suggest NOT to use (quote) "any of the "buntus".....as they get upgraded far too quickly (six-months cycles) and there-fore may eventually "breakdown"......(?)

I'm not too sure what they mean, exactly,...but I believe they mean that the kernal may get up-graded too quickly for some of the apps to fit,..(etc.)

So does anyone experienced in the Ubuntu community have any ideas or input on that? Will Ubuntu/Kubuntu be fairly stable for some time to come? (hope so). Can't believe how well I like Kubuntu,....and I had read horror stories about it on the web (how you couldn't find any apps for it, etc. etc. etc.). I'm a "newbie"...and I've been able to install all I need (Wine, Firefox3.01, games,........)....works for me.:KS

"Not to use any buntu?" Why? Ubuntu is very stable.. It works WELL. It is the best Linux Distro for the DESKTOP....

It is up to you if you want to upgrade every 6months. Each release is supported up to 18 months and for LTS 3 years.... HOw come it is not good? UPdating is removing the bugs and fixes it..

FOR ME. UBUNTU is the BEST.. and check out the UBUNTUFORUMS... THE COMMUNITY SUPPORT IS AWESOME... We spent our time in helping others..

If you are curious, check out other LINUX DISTRO FORUMS and see how THEIR community responds.. You will find out that UBUNTU has the BEST and has the MOST community supporters....

I'm so sad of hearing/reading that "not to use any buntu".... Ubuntu team gives all the effort, the COMMUNITY members give all time and effort.. and by hearing that makes me sick...

pansz
September 23rd, 2008, 04:29 AM
Ubuntu is the best gnome-based Linux distribution now. The problem is that ubuntu put very limited developing resources on other Desktop environments such as Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.

openSUSE is the best KDE-based Linux distribution now and they treat different desktop environment equally. The problem is that openSUSE lacks the Debian archive and the powerful apt-get.

Upgrading per 6-months is not a big issue if the distribution is stable enough. However, only the gnome-based ubuntu has enough resources to provide a stable-enough system in 6-months, others like kubuntu, xubuntu which does not have the same level of developer resources are having a hard time catch up with the quality branded by "ubuntu".

IMO Kubuntu is far from the "best" KDE-based Linux distributions, however, if the current version of Kubuntu satifies OP very well, so do the future versions of Kubuntu. Kubuntu is getting better everyday.

nitehawk777
September 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
yes,..I think you're 100% correct about Ubuntu being the very best Linux distro. I've only been with linux less than a year,.....but (like most) have just about tried them all!!!! I loved Ubuntu,..as it just worked, and recognized all of my computer hardware and stuff. I had NO problem with installing all of the "restricted codecs"..even with my little slow cheap dialup!!!! I think I just preferred Kubuntu, because I don't really care for a "bar" at the top of my screen. Other than that, (and I even tried "Linux Mint" which HATED my video card) I have had absolutely NO trouble with Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I use Puppy Linux4 on another old computer (which works excellent,...and is another SUPER distro for really slow and older stuff....)....(and is maybe another story for another thread/forum)

I am only concered that Ubuntu will be there in the future,..(since I intend to STAY with Ubuntu/Kubuntu). I have found my ultimate "main" distro. (I'll either decide to stay with Kubuntu,..or go back to the main Ubuntu). Either one is just super in my book.

I read where others have claimed that a new "upgrade" of Ubuntu no longer supports their particular hardware,.breaks stuff,.....etc. etc. etc.

But I think I have found what I wish to stay with,......

Ubuntu/Kubuntu just works for me,....:) (and the support is unsurpassed!)

nitehawk777
September 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Okay,....
I just re-installed Ubuntu (went back to it from Kubuntu).
I can get used to the bar on the top,...(as per you say that Ubuntu is the "main" supported distro).

Guess I got too used to "windoze" is all,..........I can get used to the top bar for a "world-class" top-of-the-line linux distro (which I see that Ubuntu is.)

Thanks for your info and input,...

I have absolutely NO problem with Ubuntu at this point,....
I'm a "newbie" that is having all things in Ubuntu work out well so far (don't you wish that could happen with EVERYONE????):)

Using a 7-year-old DELL Optiplex (PIII/ 1G/ 512mem/ 160G HD + 20G HD)
Ubuntu is working fine.

Mornedhel
September 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
If everything works on your system, please consider running System > Administration > Hardware Testing to report what hardware you have and how well it works.

snowpine
September 23rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
You can stick with the Long Term Support (LTS) releases, such as the current 8.04 Hardy Heron, if you like, rather than upgrade every 6 months. Hardy will be supported through April 2011. It's pretty stable and secure now, and will become more so over time as bugs are patched.

Midahed
September 23rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Okay,....
I just re-installed Ubuntu (went back to it from Kubuntu).
I can get used to the bar on the top,...(as per you say that Ubuntu is the "main" supported distro).
If you found that Kubuntu really suited you why not stick with it? I wouldn't let something like the dominance of Ubuntu over Kubuntu (in terms of development resources) force me to decide which desktop environment to use.

I've been using Ubuntu and the Gnome desktop since Feisty was first released. After doing a recent re-install to move up to Hardy 8.04 LTS I decided to install the KDE desktop and give it a try - mainly because I wanted to use a number of KDE apps that were better (in my view) than their Gnome equivalents. Personally I prefer KDE to Gnome, but I now have both environments on my system and can switch sessions between the two as I want. It gives me the best of both environments and I'll end-up speaking KDE as fluently as I speak Gnome ;-)

Mornedhel
September 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I've been using Ubuntu and the Gnome desktop since Feisty was first released. After doing a recent re-install to move up to Hardy 8.04 LTS I decided to install the KDE desktop and give it a try - mainly because I wanted to use a number of KDE apps that were better (in my view) than their Gnome equivalents. Personally I prefer KDE to Gnome, but I now have both environments on my system and can switch sessions between the two as I want. It gives me the best of both environments and I'll end-up speaking KDE as fluently as I speak Gnome ;-)

Exact same situation here. Except I ended up disappointed of KDE's killer apps (Amarok and KOffice, including Krita and others). I went back to Gnome after a few months.

The only thing I miss is the ability to set multiple wallpapers...

bsh
September 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
you can just remove the "top bar" completely if you want, and of course you can place it anywhere else on the screen. you can auto-hide it too. you can do just about anything.
and you can have multiple wallpapers too, of course.

Mornedhel
September 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
and you can have multiple wallpapers too, of course.

Wait, what ? Can you get a different wallpaper for each workspace ? On Gnome ? Since when ? I had tried a Python script that did that a long time ago, but there was a noticeable delay (say, 1 or 1.5s) between a workspace switch and the wallpaper changing.

I had pretty much given up on it since KDE had it for such a long time and there was no intention of adding the feature in Gnome, even though it was often requested.