PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Thinking about getting a Dell Inspiron Mini 9. What are the cons of Ubuntu?

dj-c-note
September 23rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Thanks for reading... Until yesterday I never heard of Ubuntu. My daughter wants to get a laptop and Dell's Inspiron Mini 9 comes with Ubuntu for $60 less than the one that comes with "ginuine windows" I am almost ready to make my decision but I need to know more about Ubuntu. I know its free, and based on the videos I have seen on YouTube it looks like a cross between windows and mac with "matrix" and "minority report" type ability's. I guess what I am trying to find out is.... what are the cons of Ubuntu I mean does it NOT work with certain types of software out there, etc... Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Chris

lisati
September 23rd, 2008, 01:15 AM
It's not exactly Windows, it's not exactly MAC, Ubuntu is more of an alternative to both.

Other users will probably have their opinions, here's mine for what it's worth: I find Ubuntu to be great for my day-to-day stuff, such as researching on the Web, email, wordprocessing, and stuff like that. Most of the software that I would use with Windows has its equivalents or can be made to run with a little help from a program called "Wine". The only thing I miss is the video editing capabilities.

EDIT: I don't miss the malware: the need to check for it is almost non-existent with Linux, other than out of courtesy for Windows users that you might interact with.

jemate18
September 23rd, 2008, 01:17 AM
Yes this is like XP since they are BOTH an operating system

But they are of different class....

XP has its own roots....

while Ubuntu can be traced to Debian and to Unix. (because it is Unix-Like)

Anyway, Ubuntu is the same as XP as they are both geared/designed to be an easy DESKTOP operating system..

However, Ubuntu has NO
1. Virus
2. Intrusion
3. Spyware
4. Trojan
5. Adware

Ubuntu has BETTER community support
Ubuntu is FREE
Ubuntu can be update via Internet to another version
Ubuntu can be customized for your needs!

Which one is better? Personally, I do all my work in UBUNTU, but I play my games for XP...

So was XP just a gaming console? ..... and Ubuntu your WORKING console?

gali98
September 23rd, 2008, 01:24 AM
What do you expect to do on this laptop?

This will be key. There are alternatives for almost every windows app out there.
But in some cases you may run into trouble. There is no itunes. If you have the newer flavors of the ipod you may hit a wall. For the most part, Ubuntu will probably meet most of your needs. It meets mine just fine.
Kory

Tatty
September 23rd, 2008, 01:32 AM
I use ubuntu for the vast majority of computer needs. It is rare that i turn to windows - only usually for gaming or cubase. Ubuntu can fulfill most computer needs, although if you need specific windows software then ubuntu is obviously not going to help you.

However, in your situation i would recommend windows. If you have never used ubuntu before and do not really understand what you are getting then you may in the short term be disappointed, as it is rather different to windows.

Most tasks you will be able to do, but certain little things you may struggle with. For example, I have never been able to upload photos to myspace whilst using ubuntu. This is something which does not bother me at all, however my girlfriend does get rather frustrated, and it is the only thing she boots into windows for.

If you want to explore ubuntu, then it would be best to install it onto another machine and dual-boot, so you can always turn back to windows if you need to. If you spend a little time practicing, learning and researching then you will know exactly whether ubuntu will be suited to you for your next computer.

simtaalo
September 23rd, 2008, 01:34 AM
im a relatively new ubuntu user.

my advice is if you're into seriously into gaming on your computer than either dont bother or use a dual boot (not overly difficuly but possibly more hassle than you might want)

if you do the standard, surfing/word processing/maybe a spreadsheet/loads your pics from your camera etc... then ubuntu is a great option. the worry of viruses and spywear dissapears.

it will take getting used to

steveneddy
September 23rd, 2008, 01:34 AM
Go Ubuntu and see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

arpanaut
September 23rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
You might want to consult your daughter as to her needs and expectations reguarding her usage...
Ubuntu is NOT windows and she may be sorely disappointed if it won't fulfill her expectations, A lot of money to spend and then have your daughter pissed at you.

Although I love Ubuntu,I recommend it to many people. Is it worth $60 to have her not satisfied with your purchase?

Kids will drive you crazy that way.

Chokkan
Why not try a LIve CD? Just follow the instructions from the Ubuntu website and you can try Ubuntu without installing it on your computer. It'll give you an idea of what you get from a basic Ubuntu install without putting it on your computer.

As others have said, we can help more if we know what you'll be using the computer for.

cobra741
To be totally honest, if you've only used windows in the past you may be a little intimidated by ubuntu. under the hood there's a world of difference.
here's a brief list of pro's and cons associated with moving from windows to ubuntu

Pro's

Security - much better than windows, i've had ubuntu for almost a year now and have yet to be infected by any type of virus, spyware, trojan etc

Free Software - pretty much everything you could ever want be it office, internet, financial, games etc is available completely free of charge via the ubuntu repo's. even from a fresh install you'll have yourself a totally MS Office compatable office suite, internet browser, a few games plus a heap more.

Ease of use - once you get over the initial (small for end-users) learning curve ubuntu functions so much better that windows. everything you need is right at your fingertips and "Just Works" :)

System Stability - since installing ubuntu my system has been 100% stable since day 1 (well.. admittedly i've crashed it a few times while tinkering :P)

Support: ubuntu forums is total gold, anytime you have a problem you'll more than likely find an answer here and if not, it never takes long for someone to give you a hand if you post a new problem

There are heaps more pro's to moving to ubuntu, there are just too many good things to be able to list all at once!

Cons:

Limited Windows application compatibility - as ubuntu is a linux distribution windows applications are not able to be installed straight out of the box, there is an application called WINE available which is a "Windows Emulator" (for lack of a better term) it will function perfectly with most applications however some require some tinkering to get working.

File system differences: since ubuntu uses a totally different file structure (no c:\ anymore :P ) it can be a little difficult for end-users to get used to how things are stored. when it comes down to it all you really need to care about is your /home folder which is where everything in your profile is stored (documents, pics, etc). there is a heap of doco available detailing all this in much greater detail than i'm capable of explaining but shouldn't be much of an issue for most people.

Command line heavy: this is certainly not a con for most computer savvy people (like myself, i'll always use command line over GUI!) but some end users can be rather intimidated by needing to use the command line for some functions. Though in saying that, a Dell machine with pre-configured ubuntu shouldn't require the user to use the commandline all that much but there will always be a "better way" with it. to be totally honest i haven't had to touch the command line since i got ubuntu the way i like it so this may be a totally moot point when it comes to a pre-bundled machine.

In conclusion i'd heavily recommend giving ubuntu a fair go. considering you won't have to go through all the fun of setup and configuration you initial experience will be a lot more trouble free than most users "giving it a go" on their old/new hardware.

the world of open souce is a great one, i've always had major gripes paying MS hundreds of $$ at a time for apps that at honestly no better than what's out there for free.

go for it! you won't regret it!! :) :KS

chrisod
September 23rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
I'm an open source advocate but if you need to ask that question I would recommend sticking with Windows. If your daughter needs help with something 99.9% of her friends will have Windows and won't be able to help her, and I don't get the impression from your question (admittedly not a large sample size) that either one of you are ready to jump headfirst into free and open source software. Get Windows and then come back here and we'll help you set it up to run both Windows and Ubuntu. Then you can ease into it and in time you can make an informed decision.

snowpine
September 23rd, 2008, 01:47 AM
Thanks for reading... Until yesterday I never heard of Ubuntu. My daughter wants to get a laptop and Dell's Inspiron Mini 9 comes with Ubuntu for $60 less than the one that comes with "ginuine windows" I am almost ready to make my decision but I need to know more about Ubuntu. I know its free, and based on the videos I have seen on YouTube it looks like a cross between windows and mac with "matrix" and "minority report" type ability's. I guess what I am trying to find out is.... what are the cons of Ubuntu I mean does it NOT work with certain types of software out there, etc... Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Chris

If you look closer at the pricing of the Dell Mini 9, you will see that for the same configuration (ram, hard drive size, webcam, etc.) there is little or no cost savings for the Ubuntu version. Therefore, I can't recommend getting the Ubuntu version simply to save money. The only reason to choose the Ubuntu version is if your daughter likes Ubuntu or is excited to learn about it. If she prefers Windows, she will be very disappointed in Ubuntu. If you get the Windows version, she can always experiment with Ubuntu at a later date (because it is free and it can co-exist with Windows on the same computer by setting up a "dual boot" or using Wubi).

You and your daughter can try out Ubuntu for free, right now, by downloading and burning a "Live CD" and running it on your current computer. Perhaps that will help you decide; trying it for yourself will tell you more than anything I can tell you. (The only warning is that running from a Live CD is much slower than actually having it installed on your computer, so don't judge it harshly on that factor).

My personal opinion is that Ubuntu is superior to Windows in just about every way. Ubuntu does not run Windows applications natively; it has its own applications that, again, I believe are largely superior to their Windows counterparts. However, that's just my personal opinion, and clearly 95% of the computer-buying public disagrees with me. :) I would help my friends and family get started if they are already interested, but I would never force Ubuntu on them without asking.

gali98
September 23rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
But you also have to realize that Dell will already have a lot of stuff working. Codecs should work out of the box. I suggest using a live cd and let your daughter play around with it. If you need help on that:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
Kory

randancing
September 23rd, 2008, 01:55 AM
If your daughter is a teenager, she will run into the peer pressure issue without Windows. If you asked her, she would probably want a Mac, but a Windows system is capable of doing everything that teenagers want. Teens have a great many Windows only entertainment things that are not available (or are only available with a great deal of effort) with a linux system. The best advice here is to ask her what she is going to use it for and find out what software she is going to use. Get an Ubuntu live cd (if you have a working desktop, just download the ISO and burn it to a cd) Boot your desktop into linux,(it will not interfere with your working windows software) and let her try it. See if it will do everything she needs. If so, save $60. If not, save the cd and use it to play with. You may find that you prefer it to windows yourself. Something to keep in mind when you upgrade to your next computer.

sloggerkhan
September 23rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
Re poster who claims you can't up photos to myspace w/ ubuntu: That's not true. I've done and it works fine. You MIGHT need java, but I don't even remember needing it.

Overall I think Ubuntu would be a great thing for your daughter. It's easy to use for normal stuff. However, if she's the kind of person who has to follow what all her peers do or be the same as theme, or if she has things like an iPod or special software for windows that she absolutely must have, then use Windows.

If she's interested in programming or customizing her desktop and theming and that kind of thing, Ubuntu might be a good choice. Really, I think it depends on your daughter more than anything. I'd get a live cd and maybe play with on the family computer to get an idea.

Ubuntu can do MSN, Skype, AOL, email, web browsing, and those kind of things. The main place it falls short if commercial gaming. However you will not be able to go to Microsoft's website and get MSN messenger. You will use a program that's already installed called gaim, or go to add remove software and install an MSN program, for example.

kansasnoob
September 23rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
Why not try a LIve CD? Just follow the instructions from the Ubuntu website and you can try Ubuntu without installing it on your computer. It'll give you an idea of what you get from a basic Ubuntu install without putting it on your computer.

As others have said, we can help more if we know what you'll be using the computer for.

This is exactly what I was thinking! Burn a live Cd and choose to "run without making changes to computer". It'll run slower than an actual installation, but it will give you some idea if it's going to be even remotely what you want!

I personally still love a dual boot with Win XP.

calraith
September 23rd, 2008, 02:09 AM
Read this blog posting (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=926381). It's an excellent metaphor that compares choosing among Windows, Mac and Linux with choosing a car. It's pretty accurate.

HotCupOfJava
September 23rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
I migrated to Ubuntu earlier this year. I do have some heavy games I play so I made my machine a dual-boot (Windows XP and Ubuntu).

I hardly ever boot into Windows anymore. I have found application equivalents for just about any Windows app in the Ubuntu repositories. And I haven't had to pay one red cent for them (whereas the Windows versions would have been hundreds of dollars).

As other users have mentioned, I have had NO virues, and NO spyware. The machine also runs much faster under Ubuntu.

I never need to defragment the HD - the Linux filesystem is much more efficient than Windows when it comes to managing disk sectors.

I have found networking to be WAY simpler in Ubuntu. Linux was originally concieved as a multi-user OS, so it stands to reason that it would network better. Got a broadband connection? Just plug it in and you're on!

I thought I'd have a tough time getting the wife to use it, but she loves Ubuntu, too.

I do some programming, and Ubuntu is an EXCELLENT platform for that....

So what do I need Windows for? As I mentioned, I do play some games that just don't run in Linux, AND I use Windows to sync my Palm Tungsten E. Ubuntu WILL actually talk to my Palm, but the apps on the Palm don't have a Linux version for the desktop. It will keep the databases backed up though........

As another poster mentioned, iTunes is an issue. We use it, but we have to boot into Windows for that.

So.....it comes down to this: what does your daughter want to use the computer for? If she's gonna be using iTunes or gaming, Windows will probably be the better choice. Otherwise, I would highly recommend Ubuntu over Windows.

matt79
September 23rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
I would get the laptop with windows and then download ubuntu and install them both. I do most of may work off of ubuntu but alot of people use windows in the world. So you really should have the option of either depending on the work you are doing. Since it will be cheaper to buy windows with the laptop, then to buy it after you have the laptop, I would buy it with windows. Ubuntu is free whether you "buy" it from dell or download it from the ubuntu website.

yragrelluf
September 23rd, 2008, 02:25 AM
Hey! My advice would be to buy the computer with windows, because 60 bucks is no big deal, but make sure it comes with the windows OS install disc, not just the "recovery drive". Then after you get it, you can either set up a dual boot system and have the best of both worlds, or wipe out windows completely and install ubuntu, or any linux distro you want and see if you like it. That way, as long as you have the OS disc from windows you can try it and see if it is for you and your daughter. 60 bucks for windows really isnt bad though, if you buy the computer with ubuntu installed and dont like it, you will end up spending much more than 60 bucks for a copy of windows.

wawadave
September 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
I have mostly used windows in its varies forms.I find there are some programs that i use daily in windows i cannot get to run or run well under ubuntu they 3d graphic arts programs like daz studios and bryce.

I think id you did not have and windows specific type programs that need to be run Ubuntu is an operating system choice you could make.

I believe Ubuntu is ready for the average computer user to use if they don,t mind reading a bit to learn how things work.

I have hammered the hell out of ubuntu literally trying to kill it.

It still functions fully.I have put windows systems through the same type of paces and though most still worked you never knew when they would give a cryptic error and blue screen of windows death would arrive.

I have a lot to learn on ubuntu. But i,m happy with what i can do on it so far. These forums are a gold mine of info and the community quite helpful.

So find out what windows programs she will need find out if ubuntu has the equivalent out can be added.
or if wine can successfully run them.

I,ve gotted quite a few windows third party programs to run useing wine in ubuntu. But not the two i need most. Or windows would be removed from all other of my computers.

If a persons just going to do office type work surf the net work on pictures play music unbuntu will do just fine. Plus there is much more.

egalvan
September 23rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
The advantage of buying the computer with Linux pre-installed is that the drivers and codecs should be set up correctly.
Wireless, sound, video, buttons, etc, should work with no hassles.

Second, you will get some measure of phone support from Dell.
Unless they specifically disown Linux. Read the fine print.

Same applies to Windows.

I don't own an iPod, but I've read posts where owners have used Linux with success.

I have XP/Ubuntu-Kubunut dual-booted on three laptops...
Thinkpad T40P
Thinkpad T60P
HP DV8135nr

and several desktops, Dell and HP.

ErnestG

matthekc
September 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
It helps if you have a local Linux group or a Linux savvy friend. If you get stuck or need more personal help than the forums provide.

These are howto videos that cover a range of topics
http://ubuntuclips.org/

This covers some common windows software alternatives
http://www.pcworld.com/article/143396/linux_replacements_for_your_favorite_windows_apps. html

Ub1476
September 23rd, 2008, 06:03 AM
Ubuntu is a modern OS which works with todays standards. Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice which can save in .odt, .doc, .pdf and much more. It has preinstalled software which can do heavy image eaditing, listening to music, video playing, sorting your photos and so on. It comes with Firefox 3 installed as the web browser.

I'm 15 and I use it for school (research and writing mostly) + at home (IM (msn), Youtube etc). I prefer it much more than XP.

Ubuntu on the DELL is after all customized to work and look good on such a small laptop. XP will look rather large and bulky. 9" is pretty small.

I suggest you go to www.ubuntu.com and download a live cd of Ubuntu 8.04.1. You can burn it to a CD by following the instructions listed on that page. Pop it in your computer, reboot and try Ubuntu (this wont affect your computer unless you click "install" and follow the instructions completely).

TheSlipstream
September 23rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
I have nothing to add, except that the Ubuntu that comes with the Mini 9 is Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It isn't the same thing as the stock, Windows-esque Ubuntu.

Personally, I find Ubuntu is far superior to Windows, but for a teenage girl, I really don't know. Linux at the moment is mature and efficient, but unfortunately many humans aren't. The massive change in just about everything, including philosophy (that's right, we follow the GNU in this) and the need for at times complex workarounds (but with Dell having configured everything, you may never need them) can severely put non-technical users out. Although, if your daughter is a geek, she'll love it.

Find out her needs from a netbook. If they are simple tasks, Ubuntu all the way. If it turns out she wants to use it for everything, and she isn't a knowledgeable user, then perhaps give it a pass and go Windows, a safe choice.

dj-c-note
September 23rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks alot you guys for helping me out. I still have a bit of mixed emotions about Ubuntu. I love the fact that you dont have to worry about any spyware and malware and the way that the desktop operates but I'm not too happy about no tech support and having to configure windows apps to work with Ubuntu. My daughter is 7 years old and this will be her 1st computer. Although she is taking typing classes at school she has never really gotten hands on with a computer so i want to make her 1st laptop a special and good experience. I think I will try out live cd for myself as Chokkan and many others have suggested.

dj-c-note
September 23rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Do you guys know if its possible to run both windows and Ubuntu on my laptop?

calraith
September 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Do you guys know if its possible to run both windows and Ubuntu on my laptop?

It is very possible. Have Windows installed first, and then install Ubuntu. (I recommend Edubuntu (http://www.edubuntu.org/).) The installer will automatically resize the Windows partition, and pretty much take care of everything to make sure Windows is still available. Whenever the machine is powered on after installation, you'll be prompted to choose either Windows or Linux -- and when you want to switch, just reboot and choose the other.

...I'm not too happy about no tech support and having to configure windows apps to work with Ubuntu. My daughter is 7 years old and this will be her 1st computer.

Canonical offers paid support if you're looking for commercial assistance. There are also a plethora of methods (http://www.ubuntu.com/support) of getting support from the community. The message boards are only one. Finally, keep in mind that Ubuntu is Linux. RedHat is also Linux. So are OpenSUSE, Gentoo, Slackware, and hundreds of other flavors. You can get support from those communities as well! The #linux or #linuxhelp channels on pretty much every major Internet Relay Chat network are usually stocked with geeks who enjoy a good mental challenge. There's LinuxQuestions.org (http://linuxquestions.org/), another forum like this, but distro-agnostic (not tied to a specific distribution of Linux). HowtoForge (http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos/linux/ubuntu) has tons of tutorials for Ubuntu. The list goes on.

Regarding running Windows apps on Ubuntu, bear in mind that you're bending the laws of nature. However, your chances of success for running a Windows app on Linux is far greater than that of running a Windows app on a Mac. And Linux is more likely to run a Mac app than Windows would. Oh, not a direct binary of course, but Mac is based on FreeBSD, which is like a second cousin to Linux in the POSIX family.

snowpine
September 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks alot you guys for helping me out. I still have a bit of mixed emotions about Ubuntu. I love the fact that you dont have to worry about any spyware and malware and the way that the desktop operates but I'm not too happy about no tech support and having to configure windows apps to work with Ubuntu.

Surely you are joking about "no tech support"... we've given you 3 pages of well-thought out answers to your question in less than 12 hours, for free. That's what the word "Ubuntu" means. :)

If you look around the Forums a bit, you'll see there's even a Dell-specific sub forum.

skintythe1andonly
September 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
I have to agree with snowpine when you say "no tech support", there is loads of advice out there from good sources instead of having to ring a premium number to hear sombody read out a manual. If this is a real issue, Im sure you can pay the opional extra with dell to have an extended support. If she is only 7 then I think Ubuntu is a much safer option. You can have full control over the applications that get installed, and you do not have to worry about her clicking an .exe sent to her via email or something. She also cant mess up the laptop due to the way the linux file system works provided she is not admin. She will also know for the future that there is always free software alternatives so you will be educating her if anything. She will find it a lot more intuitive that you will initially as Windows has taught you how to use a computer a certain way (I remember thinking "where is the C:\ drive?" at first). Also the last thing you want to do is frustrate her and you want ger to continue to use it. With a windows UMPC, the computer will become slow after a while and slowly frustrate her to the point where she stops using it. This should not happen with the Ubuntu version.

Good luck

TheSlipstream
September 23rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
My daughter is 7 years old and this will be her 1st computer.

Try Ubuntu. She'll be brilliant by the time she starts posting here. :P

Mr. Picklesworth
September 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Also on the topic of technical support, you can give Launchpad Answers (http://answers.launchpad.net) a try. It is aimed squarely at tech support (whereas Ubuntu Forums is more like support + big community discussions).
The neat thing with Launchpad Answers is it runs on the same system where we track bugs, develop software and plan new features. This means that if you have a problem which turns out to be a bug, or could be fixed by a new feature, your question gets linked to that bug and you can follow / influence its progress!

It is worth mentioning that Ubuntu is easier to use in some aspects, particularly when it comes to organizing files (the bread and butter of modern computing, sadly ignored by many). For example, when you insert a disk you don't need to go hunting for it in My Computer; it appears on your desktop and in your Places menu. There is no weird drive letter thing to worry about; the disk is accessed by its name. It makes a lot more sense, and honestly I think it's easier for people to learn with this pattern and it gets less confusing when there are a lot of disks.

On the topic of compatibility, this really comes down to the different services you may be using. If school is involved at any point, ask them if they support free / open source software like Ubuntu and OpenOffice. They should since it's borderline corrupt for them to only support proprietary (and expensive) software like Windows and Mac, but at some point necessity must win over that stuff.

I think people are being a bit too extreme when saying "Windows software doesn't work". Everything normal people work on in Windows can be done just fine in Ubuntu; Rhythmbox will connect to a new iPod, Firefox is a web browser (eg: Internet Explorer, but better), OpenOffice works like Microsoft Office and can, at your option, open or create Microsoft Office (Word) documents. OpenOffice can also create PDFs.
Just approach this like you may approach a Mac (since Apple did a nice job explaining it...) and you will be just fine.
Another thing you can do is check out Wine Appdb (http://appdb.winehq.org) to see if certain Windows applications will run. That database has the results people have encountered trying to run regular Windows software on their machines with Wine. People always use games as an example because really, that's the only kind of software for which there is not a free alternative that runs in Ubuntu. For example, a game that I love pointing people to is ChessMaster (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10198). As you can see, it does not work, but I will know when Wine releases an update that is compatible. Naturally, this is a small laptop so it isn't going to do much game playing anyway, so I personally don't think it will be much of a problem. That's up to you, though ;)

Installing software is a lot safer here. There is a tool you can access in the Applications menu, titled "Add / Remove Applications". That tool gives you a list with tons of completely free software that you can add. Just choose something, then it is downloaded and installed for you. The software in that list is all completely tested with Ubuntu and is updated with the big release every 6 months. (The next release being Intrepid Ibex in October, I believe).
Oh, and don't worry that the next release is just a short way away! The version available right now is a long term support release, which means it gets full support for three years. (Three years?). Upgrading to the next release is completely free and completely easy, just so long as Ubuntu hasn't been fiddled with in any unusual way (for example by installing third party software).
In there you can search for what you want to do and hopefully relevant software will appear!

Armed with that knowledge, I hope you have fun with the live CD. Welcome aboard!

Ub1476
September 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM

On the topic of compatibility, this really comes down to the different services you may be using. If school is involved at any point, ask them if they support open source software like Ubuntu. They should since it's borderline corrupt for them to only support proprietary (and expensive) software like Windows and Mac, but at some point necessity must win over that stuff.

I'm happy to say that the school I attend too, a private school (with more wealth than most), will switch to OpenOffice at the beginning of the next year, 2009. Already a lot of computers have OpenOffice installed though. It's about 1000 students on the school.

dj-c-note
September 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Surely you are joking about "no tech support"... we've given you 3 pages of well-thought out answers to your question in less than 12 hours, for free. That's what the word "Ubuntu" means. :)

If you look around the Forums a bit, you'll see there's even a Dell-specific sub forum.

Yah you guys are right. There is tech support here on the forums. It just takes a little Q&A. I think I am going to get windows for her. I will try Ubuntu on my laptop, let her try it and if she likes we can do a dual boot on hers as I will do on mine. Thank you guys very much!!!!!!!!

gali98
September 23rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
You are very welcome. Welcome to the community..
Kory
Edit: You sure went thank-crazy :)

Hoshnasi
September 23rd, 2008, 11:47 PM

This made me laugh. Great point!

fraserj
September 26th, 2008, 05:18 AM
For a brand new computer user, you'd be doing her a great favor by choosing a secure and trouble-free Ubuntu OS. Since it's a default and thoroughly-tested OEM installation you'll find it to be less hassle than XP - think of it as another kind of OS X, if you like, since they share similar design philosophies underneath.
Ubuntu has a much friendlier interface for new users. Without having to un-learn all the poor habits of your typical XP user, your little girl will be far ahead of the curve. And, not worrying about viruses and/or re-installing a corrupted WinXP every 3 months = priceless.

earthpigg
September 26th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Yah you guys are right. There is tech support here on the forums. It just takes a little Q&A. I think I am going to get windows for her. I will try Ubuntu on my laptop, let her try it and if she likes we can do a dual boot on hers as I will do on mine. Thank you guys very much!!!!!!!!

keep in mind when trying Ubuntu on your laptop that the default interface is very different on the custom Dell "Mini 9" version of Ubuntu.

Specifically, it uses a few big buttons with big icons in place of a lot of small text in order to make it more usable on an 8 inch screen.

4 min video shows the interface, which just may be even better for a seven year old than Windows or default Ubuntu UI... only way to get that interface (at this time) is to get it on a brand new Mini 9 with Ubuntu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb1iMYODSjM

doorknob60
September 26th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Yeah, I actually would choose Ubuntu for someone who's never used a computer before, I think it will be an easier and more pleasant experince, considering she doesn't need and isn't used to Windows apps, it will be nice not having to worry about viruses and crap (I'd know, newer computer users get viruses much easier, I know I did :-P), and Dell's custom UI will likely be much easier to learn than Windows XP. If it's not too late, I'd suggest reconsidering :)

chrisod
September 27th, 2008, 08:05 PM
In my original answer I was assuming a teenage girl. For a 7 year old getting her first computer Ubuntu would be a fine choice for all the safety and security reasons already mentioned. The only downside is that the games she inevitably wants to run (because her friends play them) probably won't work even with Wine.

sloggerkhan
September 28th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I agree that the younger the child, the better a choice ubuntu is. Getting used to windows can make it harder to lear Linux.

Presto123
September 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Oh...I'm happy someone brought this up. It was on the front page of the Dell flier. It's pretty cool and the UMPC looks much better than what EeePc has to offer, really (at least in screen space, anyway).

I know this is already marked as solved...but, really, you should download a copy of a live CD and see PART of what it has to offer. The main thing is that you will never HAVE to buy the programs/games if you don't want. OpenOffice is a great alternative to Microsoft Office.

Just know that the whole spirit of Ubuntu is community...so if you have problems, there are many of us fellow users who can assist you.

If you DO buy the thing...please take some time and let us know how good/bad it is.

earthpigg
September 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
In my original answer I was assuming a teenage girl. For a 7 year old getting her first computer Ubuntu would be a fine choice for all the safety and security reasons already mentioned. The only downside is that the games she inevitably wants to run (because her friends play them) probably won't work even with Wine.

my guess is your typical 7 year old girl isn't trying to play CoD4... she is trying to play things on Disney.com... which are 100% linux compatible ;)

cyclist23
October 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM
I agree with everyone on here. At her age, Ubuntu would be an excellent choice. There are many free educational software and games available. And the best part is, Ubuntu will be natural for her because she doesn't have a Windows bias. Also, Ubuntu will be safer and not high maintenance like Windows.

fraserj
October 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM
after ordering the XP mini (couldn't wait!) I really wish I'd waited a bit longer for Ubuntu. XP runs like crap on this thing, the interface doesn't shoehorn well onto a 9" screen.

If somebody wants to see a brilliant interface try GParted LiveUSB on the Mini. It's ridiculously quick. At this point I'm wiping out XP to get Ubuntu 8.10 - anything's better than Windows on this particular machine.

Some more notes: the screen isn't spectacularly good. It's about on par with the average Macbook with its dirt cheap TN panel. Don't expect a Dell Ultrasharp. I'd rate it somewhere between the Aspire One (good) and Asus EEE 901 (crap).
Also, the keyboard is 1/2 the quality of an Aspire One.

--
Updates after some use: (posted from the Dell)
1. Ubuntu 8.10 beta 1 turns this machine into a real netbook!
2. keyboard is still merely OK but the screen is actually pretty good. Revisiting the Aspire One, I'd say they are very similar in terms of quality when in use.
3. Dell > eee/AAO/MSI Wind in one major way - it is silent. Doesn't heat up much either.

Origin
October 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ubuntu-powered laptops have terrible battery life compared to Windows-powered laptops. I get 3 hours on my Ubuntu but well over 6 hours on my Vista. I think I get more if I'm on XP.

nick09
October 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Get the XP one and give her a taste of Ubuntu if she wants to try it.

LaRoza
October 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Get the XP one and give her a taste of Ubuntu if she wants to try it.

Why should the expensive, legacy OS be the default? Give her a free modern OS and give her a taste of XP someday to see if she wants it.