PDA

View Full Version : Preferences vs Adminstration

gilgongo
September 22nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now, but I've never been able to get my head around where to look for stuff in the System menu. It seems to me that Preferences is a sub-set of Administration anyway (ie anything that's a system preference is part of system admin). It's a bit like having a menu called "Cooking" and one called "Baking" at the same level.

Would it not be a better to have a single System menu and have the ability to create arbitrary sub-directories in that if needed? For example, by default have a small number of (hopefully uncontroversial) categories called something like "Hardware" "Software" "Appearance" "Networking" or whatever, and then shoving anything that doesn't fit in those categories (like "About Me" or "Users & Groups") at the top level.

At the very least, this would reduce the number of items you'd have to scan through at any one time. I've just spent far too long trying to find the "Sessions" control because it was lost in the 25 other items I have in the Preferences (or was it Administration?) list.

lukjad007
September 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
As far as I can tell, preferences are the changes you can make to a system with little permanent damage possibility.

lisati
September 23rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
Preferences tend to be on a user-by-user basis, while Administration tends to affect everyone.

lukjad007
September 23rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
That is the best explanation I ever heard. Thanks!

cardinals_fan
September 23rd, 2008, 04:48 AM
Preferences tend to be on a user-by-user basis, while Administration tends to affect everyone.
In other words, preferences require only user permissions, while admin requires root privileges.

Sef
September 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Moved to Absolute Beginners.