PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus Issue

Unanimated
September 22nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
There is a problem with Nautilus on my machine. Running "gksu nautilus" in the terminal doesn't do anything, and "sudo nautilus" returns nothing, but "gksudo nautilus" returns Segmentation fault. I really like Nautilus, but I use root on my file browser a lot, so I've had to resort to Thunar. I don't really like Thunar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tuxxy
September 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Whats the error you are receving in the terminal after running gksu nautilus

Unanimated
September 23rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
There isn't one. The only thing that comes up is this:

Initializing nautilus-share extension

Unanimated
September 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM
bump

NewDisciple
September 26th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Do you have the script for that installed. There are numerous root privilege nautilus scripts available. I use them frequently and find them a little more convenient for doing numerous small tasks.

NullHead
September 26th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Try changing your user to root then running nautilus.
sudo -i
nautilus

Unanimated
September 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Wait, I just updated Nautilus and I'm actually getting an error message:

(nautilus:10962): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:10962): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:10962): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:10962): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_fin ish: runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)

Unanimated
September 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM
bump

Unanimated
September 29th, 2008, 10:38 PM
bump...........

Am I just going to have to reinstall Nautilus?

Or where do I get the sudo script and how do I install it?

Unanimated
September 30th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I installed the sudo script, and.... it doesn't work.

gandaran
September 30th, 2008, 09:10 AM
usually you can fix these problems by just deleting the configuration files in you home folder
go to the hidden home .gconf/apps and delete the nautilus folder, now run gksu nautilus, should work
by deleting the nautilus folder, you are going to loose all your own nautilus settings, nautilus will now start with default settings

Unanimated
September 30th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Nope, that didn't work. I got the same error as before.

EnGorDiaz
September 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
here you go a full script for your nautilus

#!/bin/bash

if [[ -x /usr/bin/gksu || -x /opt/gnome/bin/gksu ]]; then
sudotool=gksu
elif [[ -x /usr/bin/gnomesu || -x /opt/gnome/bin/gnomesu ]]; then
sudotool=gnomesu
fi

$sudotool "nautilus --no-desktop $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI"\

save it as a .sh file

Unanimated
September 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Nope, that didn't work.

NewDisciple
October 1st, 2008, 02:45 AM
When you say that it didn't work could you elaborate a little bit. How did you install the script? How did you try to use it? Without knowing exactly what you are doing it's hard to pinpoint the problem. If there is something wrong with your nautilus why not reinstall? Takes less than a minute in the repository.

Unanimated
October 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
What I did was copy his script, put it into a text file, saved the next file to ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts, then CD'd to that directory and ran chmod +x root-nautilus-here (what I saved it as). Then I opened my home folder and tried to run the script, and nothing happened except it asked for my password.

NewDisciple
October 3rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
Perplexing to say the least. Just for the heck of it go into your home folder (hidden files)>.gnome2 >nautilus >nautilus scripts >your script. Right click & choose properties. Check permission status, also check the executable tag box.

Unanimated
October 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, it's all checked. I'll just reinstall it through Synaptic.

Unanimated
October 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I reinstalled Nautilus and got the same error. I also installed the nautilus-gksu package, and that didn't solve anything, either.

Unanimated
October 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM
bump

NullHead
October 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Have you tried doing
sudo -ithen running nautilus?

Unanimated
October 11th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yes.

NullHead
October 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
uh ... well .. I duno what to tell you, but thunar works :P

cyberfin
October 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm seconding this problem. Exactly the same errors. Exactly the same futile attempts to fix.

Can someone pull me out of my perplexed state and tell me what's wrong here?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Unanimated
October 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm seconding this problem. Exactly the same errors. Exactly the same futile attempts to fix.

Can someone pull me out of my perplexed state and tell me what's wrong here?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I wish I could fix it, but Intrepid is coming out in five days with Nautilus and X.Org updates, so what I would do is just use Thunar until Intrepid comes out.

cyberfin
October 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
just use Thunar until Intrepid comes out.

I'm reluctant to just ram through the problem and not look back at something that is integrated it to a LTS OS... although I will probably upgrade to Intrepid anyway.

My problem at the moment is that I can't risk upgrading until I've finished a project I'm working on.

Scooby Doo
October 27th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I take it that there was no solution for this.

I'm getting the same problem with gedit when I try to save a new file. Editing existing files doesn't appear to be a problem, just new ones.

(gedit:6908): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(gedit:6908): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_fin ish: runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)When I try to Save as... gedit closes and the above error appears in the Terminal.

cyberfin
October 28th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Indeed, it has not been solved and I would have thought that this is quite a real issue. I know I can do everything through the terminal (hail the terminal!) but when I have to move stuff (and we're not talking 2 files) I get kind of hacked off with term and want to do it GUI style. Anyway, just in case some geeky geek that is feeling generous today and decides to bless us with his awesomeness and raw heavenly powers... I thought I would paste my error msg:

gksudo nautilus

(nautilus:9385): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:9385): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:9385): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:9385): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_fin ish: runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)

I AM... thou humblest servant, milords.

Good day.

Scooby Doo
October 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Well, I seem to have fixed it. Don't ask me how or why though.

This is what happened. I'd shutdown and restarted quite a few times and I was still getting the errors. At this time I had a CD in the drive that had an image of the Puppy linux .iso on. I ejected this CD and restarted. I'd done no other changes since the last restart and this time my system was back to normal. No more errors. :confused:

I have absolutely no idea why this worked for me but I'm glad it did.

Buzzbait
October 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I had the same error when running gksu nautilus. It turned out that I had a blank DVD in my DVD drive. The minute I ejected the blank DVD, gksu nautilus ran fine.

Strange days.

cyberfin
October 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
After reading your posts I thought that it just couldn't be that simple. I looked at my DVD drive. I pushed the button and... behold! A blank CD!

Un-effin-believable.

Go figure. Thanks guys.

lakitu
November 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
i 3rd this problem, & the fix. =/ thanks for the help
maybe someone should launchpad.net this.

getglenn
November 26th, 2008, 09:25 PM
i too can confirm this...

after ejecting the blank cd "gksudo nautilus" works again!

i didnt have to reboot, restart or ANYTHING else, other than eject the blank cd!@#$%?

something is terribly wrong!

Jack005
January 20th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I confirm too...

I ejected the blank cd and then everything ("gksudo nautilus") was back to normal. I put back the blank CD in the drive and poof - "gksudo nautilus" does not work!!

Viperlin
February 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
same here, got nautilus running separately in openbox too so most of gnome is disabled.

guessing its a bug in the nautilus-cd-burner package then

or some other cd-drive extension to nautilus, very strange bug indeed heh

Francewhoa
August 1st, 2009, 12:58 AM
I can confirm this bug too. I ejected a DVD. Run the same following command. And it worked.

gksudo nautilus