PDA

View Full Version : Media Players

boobuntu
September 22nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a noob to the Ubuntu world but I'm loving it so far! Can someone recommend me a good media player. Now when I say media, I'm mostly talking mp3's but I'll take any kind of DVD related answers as well.

Thanks!!

dje
September 22nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
banshee, rhythmbox, vlc 0.9.2 which isn't in the ubuntu repos - install guide (http://blog.jetienne.com/2008/09/vlc-092-on-ubuntu-804.html) - (although the one in the repos is also awesome)

dje

paul101
September 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Audacious, the best ;)

kinna like winamp

RiceMonster
September 22nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Audacious, the best ;)

kinna like winamp

That's what I was going to say. Audacious for sure; especially if you like winamp (with classic skins).

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
I can suggest bmpx.

I especially like its shoutcast features (thousands of online radios available from within the player).

And it looks pretty good also.

--

I myself use Exaile.

It has an easy normal library (unlike Banshee!). And the playlists are easy to make.

I also don't like Mono so Banshee is a no go for me.

--

If you are looking for something different (and with that much harder to set-up, but easier to use), take a look at this article I wrote.

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/07/27/setting-up-mpd-locally/

--

Some people might suggest Audacious. I find it a horrible player.

If you need something like that, I suggest you find a .deb for xmms.

boobuntu
September 22nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Great! Some nice suggestions here for me to look into. Thanks!

jeyaganesh
boobuntu, try banshee first. You will love it.

boobuntu
boobuntu, try banshee first. You will love it.

For you - I will! Hehe. I will give that a go first.

andrewabc
September 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
If you want something that works and looks like winamp use audacious.

Erdaron
September 22nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
You can also run foobar2000 through wine. Works perfectly, and it is an awesome player. It gets right to the point of playing music and not doing any crazy hoobaloos.

RiceMonster
September 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
You can also run foobar2000 through wine. Works perfectly, and it is an awesome player. It gets right to the point of playing music and not doing any crazy hoobaloos.

Yeah, I think foobar2000 is the best audio player on any platform. I don't run it on Linux though because I try to avoid using wine.

I myself use Exaile.

It has an easy normal library (unlike Banshee!). And the playlists are easy to make.

I also don't like Mono so Banshee is a no go for me.

I'd use Exaile if the equailzer worked properly. It looks really promising (can't wait for 0.3!). I don't like banshee either, and not just because it uses mono.