PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] help PLEASE I am Tired of windows xp and want Xubuntu

anime2
September 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
I want to install xubuntu over windows xp on this computer because windows xp cannot be fixed and i've tried everything. Gateway no longer supports our model of computer :(. I have a pentium 4 processor 630 supporting hyperthreading technology, 200gb sata hd, 1024 mb ddr, double layer16x multiformat dvd+/-rw & 16x dvd-rom drives, 3 firewire, 7 usb ports, sapphire radeon x1650, digital memorey card reader 8 in 1, and i hooked up a netgear wireless router so i could play games over the internet on ps3/wii. Im tired of xp freezing and having to press the power button to get it off. I want to install xubuntu but i need help! please help!

Atsuko
September 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
What kind of help do you need?
And please try to hit the Enter key now and then.

anime2
September 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Sorry. Basically I have Xubuntu burned to a Memorex CD-R and I want to install it but I have Windows XP still installed. I do not know how to go about installing Xubuntu. Oh and I have a netgear wireless router so I do not know if linux can handle that or not.

oilchangeguy
September 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
I want to install xubuntu over windows xp on this computer because windows xp cannot be fixed and i've tried everything. Gateway no longer supports our model of computer :(. I have a pentium 4 processor 630 supporting hyperthreading technology, 200gb sata hd, 1024 mb ddr, double layer16x multiformat dvd+/-rw & 16x dvd-rom drives, 3 firewire, 7 usb ports, sapphire radeon x1650, digital memorey card reader 8 in 1, and i hooked up a netgear wireless router so i could play games over the internet on ps3/wii. Im tired of xp freezing and having to press the power button to get it off. I want to install xubuntu but i need help! please help!

first, why xubuntu? your computer will run ubuntu. and just because the warranty has expired does not mean windows can't be fixed. the computer came with restore cd's, right?

anime2
September 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
first, why xubuntu? your computer will run ubuntu. and just because the warranty has expired does not mean windows can't be fixed. the computer came with restore cd's, right?

I'm using the burned xubuntu cd right now to try it but did not install it. It uses less ram for one. I do not like windows xp and I do not want to reinstall windows xp. I would feel alot better with Linux.

oilchangeguy
September 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm using the burned ubuntu cd right now to try it but did not install it. It uses less ram for one. I do not like windows xp and I do not want to reinstall windows xp. I would feel alot better with Linux.

your computer has more than enough ram to run ubuntu. i suggest reinstall windows, and ubuntu. that way you'll be able to run things that may be problematic in ubuntu. when windows (or any other operating system) is properly maintained, it's fine. don't blame the operating system for operator failure.

anime2
September 22nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
your computer has more than enough ram to run ubuntu. i suggest reinstall windows, and ubuntu. that way you'll be able to run things that may be problematic in ubuntu. when windows (or any other operating system) is properly maintained, it's fine. don't blame the operating system for operator failure. I have reinstalled XP about 10 times on this computer. Windows XP just does not work right. I would rather just install ubuntu than because windows xp is just not for me.

oilchangeguy
September 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
I have reinstalled XP about 10 times on this computer. Windows XP just does not work right. I would rather just install ubuntu than because windows xp is just not for me.

like i said, don't blame the operating system, for operator failure.

anime2
September 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
like i said, don't blame the operating system, for operator failure.

Yes I know but I just would rather have Ubuntu

Atsuko
September 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Put the cd in and reboot your computer. when it starts it will have run with out installing or install
Just pick the install and when it gets to the part asking you how to install it on your drive just click the "use the full drive"or some thing like that.
it is really easy to install it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingXubuntu

Screen shots showing how and you do what you want to your computer ok.
http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=Xubuntu%208.04%20H ardy%20Heron%20LTS

snowpine
September 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
First of all, Xubuntu is a fine choice, it isn't any better or worse than Ubuntu, just different.

I recommend using the Live CD for a while without installing anything to your computer. This way, you can make sure you like it and that all of your hardware is supported. When you are ready, you can just click the Install icon on your desktop to install Xubuntu onto your hard drive. If you choose "Guided Install--Entire Disk" it will completely wipe and reformat your hard drive, destroying Windows, which I think is what you want in this case. :)

Are you able to boot the Live CD and get to the Xubuntu desktop?

anime2
September 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
First of all, Xubuntu is a fine choice, it isn't any better or worse than Ubuntu, just different.

I recommend using the Live CD for a while without installing anything to your computer. This way, you can make sure you like it and that all of your hardware is supported. When you are ready, you can just click the Install icon on your desktop to install Xubuntu onto your hard drive. If you choose "Guided Install--Entire Disk" it will completely wipe and reformat your hard drive, destroying Windows, which I think is what you want in this case. :)

Are you able to boot the Live CD and get to the Xubuntu desktop? yes im using the xubuntu right now

snowpine
September 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
yes im using the xubuntu right now

If your video and internet and everything works okay, you can follow the instructions Atsuko linked to and install Xubuntu to your hard drive. :)