PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! Graphics card issues

BuyOurEverything
September 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I don't know a whole lot about Linux so I'd appreciate some help with this issue here. I recently reinstalled Ubuntu 8.4 on my computer, I'm now running a dual Ubuntu/XP boot on a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop. I was trying to get compiz running, so I wanted to make sure my graphics card driver was up to date and running.

I downloaded and installed the driver from nVidia and activated the accelerated graphics driver. I think I messed something up somewhere though, because when I rebooted, Ubuntu didn't recognize my graphics card driver and ran in low-res mode, which I'm stuck in now.

I tried selecting my graphics card from the menu that came up or start up, but it didn't do anything. I have a nVidia GeForce FX Go5200. I tried running Envy both automatically and manually selecting my card, which seemed to work but every time when I restart, it doesn't recognize my graphics card, and boots in low-res mode.

I would really appreciate some ideas about this. What else can I do?

Tatty
September 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
can you post the output of

lsmod | grep nvidia

So we can see if the correct driver is running.

BuyOurEverything
September 23rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
OK, so I actually tried using Envy to uninstall the graphics card driver, and when I rebooted it seemed to recognize my card, and everything worked fine. When I went to enable the accelerated graphics driver and rebooted again, it stopped recognizing my card again.

Now I'm in low-res mode again, and this is what that command gives:

nvidia 4718832 0
i2c_core 24832 1 nvidia
agpgart 34760 2 nvidia,intel_agp

BuyOurEverything
September 23rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
So I tried using Envy to remove my driver again and restarted but this time, it still didn't recognize my card. I'm still stuck in low-res mode. This time, when I run the command, I get:

nvidia 7106084 26
i2c_core 24832 1 nvidia
agpgart 34760 2 nvidia,intel_agp