PDA

View Full Version : New to programming on linux machine

ChazZeromus
September 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm really looking forward to programming on a linux machine and I would love to start programming GUI programs. I'd like to know what libraries I should use to begin writing GUI applications. And another question, I've been using NASM and when I use the AOUT object format, I can't seem to link with the GCC linker with the other ELF object files. Judging by the Nasm reference, the object emitted by the linker is a very only unix object format. So, what can I do about this?

The only linker that actually puts together modern elf32 object files is the DJGPP linker. But that belongs to a collection of DOS compilers for windows. I've tried running it with wine but I cam across programs I can't seem to fix, at first it was the 64K memory problem where the program could not access the bottom 64K area of memory. I fixed it, even though it was patched because of the exploit. But when I ran it again a different problem happened when the program complained about interrupt vectors. So I guess Wine doesn't support 16-bit DOs programs.

So are there any alternative linkers? That I can use with all ELF formats?