PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Synaptic Package Manager

kensmith
September 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
I have noticed that the package manager does not keep up with new updates, for example, on wine. There may be others. I use 7.04 ubuntu and the wine I have is .9 version but there is a 1.0 and higher version available. Are there something I am missing to this package to check for these updates.

Ken Smith

oldos2er
September 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
The package manager only "knows" about programs in the repositories, and the program repositories are updated just every six months, coinciding with each new Ubuntu release. You are free to install programs downloaded from the internet, but that may involve compiling source code which can be intimidating if you haven't done it before.

timcredible
September 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
if you don't like the version of wine in the ubuntu repositories, you can add new repositories and install a newer version. just find out who has a repository with the newer version of wine, add it to synaptic, do a reload, and install the new version. keep in mind, just because there's a new version of a package available, doesn't necessarily mean that anyone has taken the time to add it into a repository.

kensmith
September 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Ok thanks everyone. I was just wondering about that as I never saw it being updated when new version come out.

Ken