PDA

View Full Version : Sitting down and drinking a glass ...

iV IV
September 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Drinking my first beer this evening.

My oncle left me a 4core 2,4GH PC - with windows XP on it. The fastes computer in the house... Good for emptying my Nikon SLR in RAW format.

But then I tried to install Ubuntu on the seccond drive 'because its like OSX a bit'... And I happen to be a long time Apple fan.
There were some problems with formating that drive. And warnings did appear. But now Umbuto is whizzing on this machine. I even found software for the RAW format for Nikon.

:popcorn:
BUT there was only one drive in the thing, with two partitions...
Windows gone, pictures gone. And I don't know what is more horrible: using XP or installing it.

So here is my first post. And this is my new OS.
I will be here a lot. Installing RAWstudio will be the first hurdle.

I like it so far, but I should have red the manual first...

Proost! Greetings from Viv

karellen
September 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
before you start fiddling with someone's else pc, make sure you know what you are doing ;)

uberdonkey5
September 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
lol, sounds like fun. I always liked taking things apart and finding I couldn't put them back together. Maybe there should be a warning on ubuntu like.. 'warning.. this distro allows you to do ALOT of things on your computer, some of which you may wish you hadn't done.'

he he

good luck on your journey. My top advice is ALWAYS keep your original ubuntu CD (and realise you have it), back up data, and play around! I have learnt so much by completely messing up my computer :D

wolfen69
September 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
before you start fiddling with someone's else pc, make sure you know what you are doing ;)

he said the computer was left to him. therefore not his uncle's anymore.

iV IV
September 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
I like this OS. And now the PC is indeed fast,
And there is a price in making an OS idiot-proof: you get hints
and popups and wizzards, and you are not allowed to do what you like.

And there is indeed a lot of good free software.

... but nothing to get my little .NEFs back

There is a lot of software to discover,

::-({|= Viv