PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Java problem with openoffice Calc

mr wilson
September 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I am having problems with OpenOffice's Calc spread sheet. I have only just started to use it and cannot seem to use macro on it. The follow error came up:

“OpenOffice.org requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice. Please install the open openoffice-java-common package for this functionality”.

I am pretty certain I have a JRE installed – is there any way to check? Or is there something else I should do. I am a fair novice with ubuntu.

I also find that Calc tends to struggle a bit with large sheets. Is this just Calc? Is there a way to optimize it or something? Or is there superior spread sheet out there (that runs on linux)?

Cheers

tangibleorange
September 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I am having problems with OpenOffice's Calc spread sheet. I have only just started to use it and cannot seem to use macro on it. The follow error came up:

“OpenOffice.org requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice. Please install the open openoffice-java-common package for this functionality”.

I am pretty certain I have a JRE installed – is there any way to check? Or is there something else I should do. I am a fair novice with ubuntu.

I also find that Calc tends to struggle a bit with large sheets. Is this just Calc? Is there a way to optimize it or something? Or is there superior spread sheet out there (that runs on linux)?

Cheers

try installing the package it's asking for:

sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-java-common

and see if it solves the problem

mr wilson
September 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Well that's embarrasing. Sorry to waste your time and thanks.

tangibleorange
September 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Well that's embarrasing. Sorry to waste your time and thanks.

hehe no problem! glad I could help :)