PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Fortran programs

GeoffreyBernardo
September 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Hallo there,

I have installed the intel fortran compiler and I am trying to run my first program. I write the program (e.g. test) in gedit and save it in the home/[username] directory as test.f90. Then I compile it in the command line with ifort test.f90. The a.out file is created. Then when I type in test in the command line, I get the error command not found.

Please help.

aeiah
September 22nd, 2008, 01:23 PM
i havent messed with fortran, but at a guess, if the compiler spat out a.out, that is your compiled program. in that case, you would want to, whilst in the directory that your program resides, do:

./a.out

the reason for the ./ is because the program is not in your path, and you need to specify that you're executing the file that's located in your working directory.

GeoffreyBernardo
September 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
i havent messed with fortran, but at a guess, if the compiler spat out a.out, that is your compiled program. in that case, you would want to, whilst in the directory that your program resides, do:

./a.out

the reason for the ./ is because the program is not in your path, and you need to specify that you're executing the file that's located in your working directory.

Thanks very much! That works splendidly.

GeoffreyBernardo
September 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
How do I compile a file that is in a directory other than the home/[username] directory?

For example, I have a file ch0701.f90 in the /home/geoffrey/Documents/Fortran Computer Programming directory.

GeoffreyBernardo
September 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
How do I compile a file that is in a directory other than the home/[username] directory?

For example, I have a file ch0701.f90 in the /home/geoffrey/Documents/Fortran Computer Programming directory.

Nevermind. I got it.

ifort ./Documents/Fortran\ Computer \Programming/ch0701.f90

:)