PDA

View Full Version : My Boss felt i went extreme with this ..

bigbrovar
September 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Am Building a new website for the school where i work ... My boss was quite happy with what i have done so far but felt i went extreme with some views in the computer lab page ... http://www.aust.edu.ng/node/70 ... please i need your opinion ... did i cross the line

karellen
September 22nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
only in the last part:

Microsoft Vista Ultimate $399.95
Microsoft Office Professional 2007 $199.95
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition $2319.00
Microsoft Visual Studio Professional Edition $1,422.00
Norton AntiVirus 2009 $39.99
TOTAL: $4380.89 (per Desktop)

you've purposely chosen the most expensive products (Vista Ultimate, Office Professional) in their fields. plus it's hard to believe there are no discounts (for educational purposes or simply because of the volume licensing , something like that) for a university's lab :D
not that I say Windows would've been a better alternative. but distorting the facts a little less would be wiser in the future ;). Linux doesn't need to rely on such tactics in order to succeed

NovaAesa
September 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I don't understand why you would need Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition for each desktop computer. Isn't that just run on the central server?

smoker
September 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
nice website, laid out well and informative, i don't think too extreme, well done :-)

Bölvağur
September 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
I agree. In most countries schools get major discount to get to the students. Very dirty move that works.

Two Computer Labs, each with 21 Workstations (Ubuntu 8.04).
I wasnt too sure that was a good move to include the os because you already stated what os is being used already. (btw is captial W supposed to be there? seems out of place unless if this would have been German).

is an operating system that surpasses Microsoft Windows in all aspects, especially security, stability, scalabilty, support and productivity
I would strongly suggest not saying MS Windows, but rather other operating systems. And perhaps rephrase it like... actually, why would you need to say its better in the first place? It is just a website to let people know what you are using isn't it?

*added*
Seems a bit like zealotism

Tomosaur
September 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
All of this:

For African universities the use of licensed Windows computers is not a viable option. The table below lists the barebones setup for one computer desktop.

At AUST we have 52 desktops in our labs. Implementing a Microsoft Windows environment would have cost us a whopping $227,806.28. And this is not counting all the academic software needed to provide Ivy-League standard education.
Instead of paying such a bizarre price for software that is so unstable, insecure, virus-prone and unflexible, AUST took the bold and visionary step of implementing a fully Free and Open-Source solution for the IT infrastructure. Our servers and the computer lab desktops all run Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/), an enterprise-level operating system superior to Windows, and completely free of charge. Add to this, the myriad of high-powered free and open-source academic software packages we have installed for our students.
In order for Africa's universities to meaningfully contribute to this continent's advancement, then the stifling yoke of Microsoft must be shed, in favour of the most sensible , most qualitative and economically viable path: Linux, the operating system used by computer science, engineering and science departments at universities worldwide. Free and Open-Source Software for the enlightenment and nuturing of the young minds that are to shape our future in this world. Tomorrow's Einsteins.

Is over-the-top and unnecessary. 'Stifling yoke of Microsoft'? Come on - be professional about it. You could just have said 'we prefer Ubuntu for it's stability, security, and openness, which is aligned with our university's vision', and left it at that. There is no need to describe why you have eliminated Microsoft from the university.

Also, the figures you use do not describe a 'bare-bones' installation at all.

As always 'If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all'.

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I would remove the prices, but other than that, the website looks very good and professional.

--

And I must say, those computer looks great. Nice widescreen monitors too.

bigbrovar
September 22nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
the reason why i compared with microsoft was because most prof who come here wonder why we dont use window .. even some of the student .. ask the same question ..

we could ask for a grant from MS but the protocol is long and honestly we don't have the time that it would take to go through all that .. beside we run a custom Ubuntu here .. modified to suit our needs .. that wont be possible to do with windows ..we have a perfect system here ... the student have what there need ... but i felt we should let the world know what the alternative would have cost .. many people don't know linux / Ubuntu can be used to run a production environment .. those that know think MS is a better option .. the page is to let them know why we choose Linux above Windows .. and to be honest i don't think i said anything about windows we don't already know before ..

mips
September 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
All of this:

Is over-the-top and unnecessary. 'Stifling yoke of Microsoft'? Come on - be professional about it. You could just have said 'we prefer Ubuntu for it's stability, security, and openness, which is aligned with our university's vision', and left it at that. There is no need to describe why you have eliminated Microsoft from the university.

As always 'If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all'.

+1

The same could have been achieved in a nicer more professional way.

bigbrovar
September 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Is over-the-top and unnecessary. 'Stifling yoke of Microsoft'? Come on - be professional about it.

the complete statement is

In order for Africa's universities to meaningfully contribute to this continent's advancement, then the stifling yoke of Microsoft must be shed, in favour of the most sensible , most qualitative and economically viable path: Linux, the operating system used by computer science, engineering and science departments at universities worldwide. Free and Open-Source Software for the enlightenment and nuturing of the young minds that are to shape our future in this world. Tomorrow's Einsteins.

it is my opinion .. many university in Africa spend thousands of dollar on MS and its Ecosystem. .. when free alternatives exist i just felt i should point that out ..

we are talking about a complete lab.. if we used windows .. it would mean going with the windows ecosystem .. u cant isolate an OS from its ecosystem when u want to setup a production environment can u?

As always 'If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all'
i think its better to just say the truth ..

jespdj
September 22nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
This looks totally unrealistic. First of all, why do you think you would need two versions of Windows on each machine (Vista Ultimate and Server 2003 EE)?

Why do you think you would need Vista Ultimate? The difference in features between Vista Ultimate and Home Premium is very small, but the price difference is very big. Also, according to Microsoft, the suggested retail price for Ultimate is $ 319.95 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx), not $ 399.95. And Vista Home Edition costs $ 259.95.

Also, you would not need Microsoft Office at all; OpenOffice, which is free and which you are using on Ubuntu, runs on Windows as well.

I don't know what you're going to do with regards to programming, but there are free compilers and IDEs for Windows available instead of Visual Studio.

A more realistic looking list would be:

Microsoft Vista Home Premium $259.95
TOTAL: $299.94 (per Desktop)
That's ofcourse still more than the $0 that an Ubuntu desktop costs...

Solicitous
September 22nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Well firstly Microsoft have education rates for educational facilities.
Secondly, as already mentioned, the cost of Server 2003 is not relevant when it comes to desktops.
Thirdly, what Ubuntu and/or Open Source products are you using instead of Microsoft products? ie: I see Microsoft Visual Studio as a cost, but what it being used on Ubuntu to replace it?

I think to make it easier, perform a comparison ie;

OS
Windows $XXXX
Ubuntu $Free
Office Suite.....you get the idea. Just showing a list of prices for one product when trying to argue the use for another seems a little too biased.

That said, the site itself looks great. Couldn't fault anything else.

bigbrovar
September 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
This looks totally unrealistic. First of all, why do you think you would need two versions of Windows on each machine (Vista Ultimate and Server 2003 EE)?

i didnt use home premium or basic because their are not meant for enterprise ... use .. why would i use a windows OS meantfor home users on a production lab .. (not that i would use windows but if i wanted to i would go for the best .. right?)

Also, you would not need Microsoft Office at all; OpenOffice, which is free and which you are using on Ubuntu, runs on Windows as well. true ..

I don't know what you're going to do with regards to programming, but there are free compilers and IDEs for Windows available instead of Visual Studio.
Netbeans,eclipse,Kdevelop ..
yeah i know that some of the programs we use on ubuntu are also available for windows .. but cost is just one of my many reasons .. what about free as in speech .. which allows us to have a custom ubuntu that comes with all the stuff we need and allows us to creat an image of it using system imager ..Which is then installed on all the lab systems with minimal effort .. with Ubuntu upgrading and installing new software is a breese .. we use apt-cacher . and through si-update clients we are able to update every client with at a go .. the best problem with windows is the ecosystem and the license .. i would still go for Ubuntu is it cost as much as vista

Tomosaur
September 22nd, 2008, 01:23 PM
i didnt use home premium or basic because their are not meant for enterprise ... use .. why would i use a windows OS meantfor home users on a production lab .. (not that i would use windows but if i wanted to i would go for the best .. right?)

true ..

Netbeans,eclipse,Kdevelop ..
yeah i know that some of the programs we use on ubuntu are also available for windows .. but cost is just one of my many reasons .. what about free as in speech .. which allows us to have a custom ubuntu that comes with all the stuff we need and allows us to creat an image of it using system imager ..Which is then installed on all the lab systems with minimal effort .. with Ubuntu upgrading and installing new software is a breese .. we use apt-cacher . and through si-update clients we are able to update every client with at a go .. the best problem with windows is the ecosystem and the license .. i would still go for Ubuntu is it cost as much as vista

We're not disagreeing with your reasons for choosing Ubuntu - we're saying you should avoid the kind of language you used to explain your reasons on the website. If I was looking to go to a university and wanted to check out what they used, I would be impressed by the fact that your university uses Ubuntu, but the over-the-top remarks about Windows and the cost of a Windows lab would turn me right off. I don't want to spend my whole day working with evangelicals, I just want to get my work done.

I really, really recommend you either get rid of the Windows stuff completely (and just replace it with good things about Ubuntu - open source, secure, reliable etc), or you really tone down the language you used to describe Windows. People don't want to see that kind of stuff at a respectable institution, especially one as important as a university.

kevdog
September 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
I dont think a picture of the rack server is necessary. And although I am aware of the FOSS costs, it would seem on first glance the page is an advertisement for Linux and Ubuntu in general.

K.Mandla
September 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
I think it's definitely worth mentioning the cost, but I would double-check the math, and perhaps show the cost against Windows if you use any available open source alternatives too. Linux will still come out the winner, even if you can find discounts or package deals.

And unlike some others I don't think it's too heavy-handed to suggest the "stifling yoke" like you did. I think it's critical for businesses and schools in developing nations to understand the consequences of adopting software with licensing restrictions, etc. I do think there might be a more professional way to describe it though ...

And +1 to making the topmost picture a little more ... interesting? ;)

karellen
September 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM

there's no difference in programming on Home Premium or Ultimate. and if you really want to be picky about "going for the best" why didn't you do a little math involving the price of Red Hat Enterprise Linux instead of Ubuntu? or SLED. these are Linux-es meant for enterprise in the first place

bigbrovar
September 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
ok since its the opinion of most pple that i went a bit extreme with the language .. i guess i would have to tone things down .. and rephrase some of my statements .. to press home the same point

And +1 to making the topmost picture a little more ... interesting?
i have changed it ... is it any better now

Canis familiaris
September 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
+1

the same could have been achieved in a nicer more professional way.

+2

earthpigg
September 22nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
the stifling yoke of Microsoft must be shed

epic quote ;)

lukjad
September 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Since I am at school and cannot access the site through the proxy, I can only rely on the quotes I saw. I think that you exaggerated your case a bit and come off as bitter to the reader. When I get home I'll post a more detailed answer. (Unless someone posts a screenshot. :D)

TwiceOver
September 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Sorry but I have to agree with the posters that think the numbers are far out of whack.

Where I'm employed we have an associated cost per machine of $1100. This includes:

Machine + Monitor + Accessories
Vista Business
AVG License
Adobe Acrobat Standard
Server 2003 License
Office 2003 Basic

Then add on the $2500 server + SBS 2003 $700 = $3200

So 50 Workstations x $1100 + 3200 = $58,200. A far cry from the couple hundred thousand you have listed.

Just an FYI. Go ahead and beat them up all you want, but don't blatantly lie about it.

NOTE: I left out our ERP licensing because that would not apply to your situation.

geoken
September 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Where did you get those prices from?

Student versions of Vista are all below $200. The student version of Visual studio pro 08 sells for $115 (and btw, I'm pretty sure there is a version of Eclipse for Windows).

The credibility of the entire page is basically reduced to 0 an account of what appears to be obvious lying.

karellen
September 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
what bothers the most is the double standard: let's throw into the equation Vista Ultimate + MS Server (:confused:) but on the other side let's have a free (gratis) version of Linux (Ubuntu). why didn't you pick RHEL or SLED, if you wanted only top of the line enterprise OS for a school lab?

aeiah
September 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
you've turned a page that's supposed to describe your facilities into a page long anti-microsoft rant.

im assuming you are deliberatley trying to put across a strong anti-microsoft view and distorting facts along the way to reinforce your point of view. someone in your position should be aware that you could use a server based, subscription pay model for norton (if indeed you choose norton over other alternatives) and that the best version of vista to use would be vista business ($299) and im pretty sure most software has discounted student editions. on top of that, you've included the server price in your per desktop total.

im pretty sure a lot of people who read that page will notice what you are doing too, after all, by its nature your college should be attracting intelligent and knowledgeable people.

im sure linux is the way to go but simply saying 'the $1500 per computer saved by not using a microsoft environment can be used to better benefit our students' and being generally calmer about it will look more professional and less off-putting

lswest
September 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Don't know if it was mentioned before (I'm under time pressure atm) but I did notice this:
Two Computer Labs, each with 21 Workstations (Ubuntu 8.04). Both these labs have Mimio installed on the professor's Workstation. Mimio is an interactive whiteboard software, that can be used for live computer-based demonstrations of scientific experiments and procedures.

I think you can leave out the OS bit again, and the Both is just bad sentence structure. These labs [etc.] sounds a bit more professional. Also, workstations should be all lowercase.

Just what I noticed.

And as was said above, either change the cost (since it's both erroneous and superfluous) to suit a more objective look (maybe add prices for macs too?) or just leave it out, as it's not really necessary (hence the term superfluous earlier). After all, it's a site about your school using Ubuntu, not a site about your school NOT using windows (or should be that way at least). Oh also, I didn't see much info about the laptops, it would be nice to have some more information about those though.

Other than that I agree that it's a nice site, and well done. Those classrooms look nice.

Just read it to the end, you start to repeat yourself in the last few paragraphs, maybe revise it so that you expand upon earlier topics, or just leave out a part of it.

uberdonkey5
September 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
beautifully layed out website. One thing I learnt in writing scientific papers is to just state the facts plainly and objectively. The writing makes it sound biased, despite the fact that there is a very strong and obvious case for using ubuntu in Africas universities.

From the line "The Free and Open-Source spirit is one that AUST has subscribed to..." I would cut all the remainder into a single paragraph (because it is only one point in what is obsviously a larger explanaition). It sounds too wordy as well.

e.g. replace with:

Linux was a clear choice of operating system above windows and Mac OS, predominantly due to security and cost. Windows software is prohibitively expensive (around 300 dollars for the base software for each desktop, plus additional costs for upgrades and any new software that is required). The Ubuntu distribution of linux is completely free, upgrades are free and the vast range of available software is free (and directly downloadable over the internet). Much of this software is directly equivalent to windows software (e.g. open-office) or is software designed for professional use e.g. cineralla (professional video editing software), though there is a greater range of available software than within windows. Viruses are also of particular concern in an environment where computers are shared by many users, and linux operating systems are more secure.

Ubuntu is open source (users can see how the software is written)and is designed to allow more control over the operation of the computer than windows. This allows students to actively engage in computing rather than be passive software operators.

[damn, it is hard not to sound biased cos linux systems are so much better!]

bigbrovar
September 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for your input guys .. point taken and the page would be edited .. looking at it again i feel i must have gone a bit too far .. and i will fix it soon ..

ukripper
September 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Am Building a new website for the school where i work ... My boss was quite happy with what i have done so far but felt i went extreme with some views in the computer lab page ... http://www.aust.edu.ng/node/70 ... please i need your opinion ... did i cross the line

I agree with your boss for this page...Too much of ubuntu on one page!

god0fgod
September 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I read the same thing about 3 times over. So the answer is yes.

boobuntu
September 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Where did you cross the line?

Ub1476
September 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
A bit to much preaching longer down there I believe.

I don't think "Ubuntu is superior this and Ubuntu is better that", but more like in a neutral tone:

Ubuntu provides an excellent choice of free and open productivity applications which is suitable for our school. Since Ubuntu and its software is free (as in ...), it enables the students to easily interact with each other without paying for propitiatory software, while still maintaining the same productivity rate.

Something like that I think. Not more than two (small) paragraphs of Ubuntu facts.

original_jamingrit
September 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
If I can make a suggestion;

Please do not remove that information about MS, as it is an important point of consideration. Instead, maybe if you moved it to it's own webpage, that may be a good thing. In a manner of speaking, your information on FOSS and Microsoft would be better used on it's own page. If this was done, the webpage about the Computer Labs themselves would be more readable, as well. Simply link to the FOSS vs. MSFT explanation from the Computer Labs page.

NoWayBill
September 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Much of it reads more like an Ubuntu advertisement than an advertisement for the University, which is what it's supposed to be.

Promote what you do have, not what you don't.
Students and parents are much more concerned with what a school does have than what it doesn't.

The three computer labs of AUST are equipped as follows:
I don't see where the features of the third lab are mentioned.

By all means, push FOSS as it does promote a much better learning environment than any Closed Source environment can offer.

But remember, you're supposed to be promoting the University, its curriculum and its learning environment, not necessarily specific software.

The only mention of the labs hardware is the overhead projector, which IMO is a mute point.
Were I considering schooling there, I'd want to know what kind of hardware I'd be learning on.

Passion is fine, but don't let it interfere with your objectivity.

koenn
September 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I don't think it's that bad.
It clearly expresses a vision as to the role of the university in society, and how choosing FOSS is an integral part of that vision, both because of the inherent benefits of open source, as because of the financial aspect - "For African universities the use of licensed Windows computers is not a viable option."

Because of the relevance of these financial constraints, I think it's appropriate to list the prices, but you need to get the numbers and the math right.

* as others have mentioned, Microsoft has lower pricing in educational, governement and (corporate) "volume" licensing. You'd have to compare against those.
* You may opt for an enterprise level OS, but that's not necessarily "Ultimate Edition". Business Edition may be sufficient if Home/Premium are inadequate for your (lab's) needs.

* you do mention that the server OS is 1 per Lab, but you still seem to calculate it's price in the per workstation total. That's incorrect.

*You do, however, leave out that, apart from a workstation OS license and a server OS license, Microsoft requires an additional "Client Access License" for each computer or user that connects to a server (unless they've dropped in the last few years)

Apart from that, the second half of the page is a bit long-winded and repetitive, which makes it sound a bit like preaching. If you can make the same points in half the space, I think it 'd be better.

smoker
September 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
i would leave the prices, but i would also put a link to where you got the prices from (ie, ms, retailer, whomever). yes, there may be certain discounts available at certain times, but these won't be available to all who view the page. i would also more state the longevity of linux, eg, it will always be free, whereas windows will have to be paid for over and over to keep current (how much will windows7 be?).

nothing wrong with promoting linux, ubuntu, and obviously with cost being a major factor, why not emphasise the savings?

best of luck

koenn
September 22nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
nothing wrong with promoting linux, ubuntu, ...

but the purpose of that web page is probably to promote the university, no ?

... and obviously with cost being a major factor, why not emphasise the savings?

because too much emphasis on the savings risks coming of as "we can't afford the real stuff, so we have to settle for cheap".
In my opinion, FOSS in in science and education makes sense because
- it's adaptable to the extreme (as stated on that site)
- the source code could actually serve as study material in computer science classes. Use the software, see what it does, AND see how it works on the inside
- open source software is build roughly following the same methodology as scientific research : research - publish -peer review : there are apparently common values between the two fields, rather than a stricktly business, customer-vendor relation
-the adherence to open standards makes information (stored or processed by the software) easily exchangeable with other institutions or among students, and the access to source code ensures that programs to access that information will always be available.

lukjad
September 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition $2319.00 (one-time for whole lab)

This does not make sense mathematically.

If the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition is a one time fee for the entire classroom, then the price per desktop drops drastically.

Whiffle
September 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
While we're at it; this sentance is very strangely worded. Try reading it out loud. (too many commas)

In this way, the professor is able to project the screen of the computer to the wall, and present the day's lecture to the students in a manner, which enhances the learning experience, by fostering stronger and more direct interactivity between professor, curriculum and student.

On the whole, its seems to me like it gives a little bit about how the classes are setup, and then a whole bunch about how great linux and the philosophy behind it are. I would put the whole thing about Ubuntu on a separate page, and make it sound more professional. For example, replace the word "distro," with distribution. It sounds less like something read on a blog and more like something you'd expect from a University.

Also, those numbers are whack. Why do you include two different operating systems (Vista and Server), in the numbers for each computer? That looks especially goofy when you write "(one-time for whole lab)" next to the cost of the server version.

Overall its pretty decent, although I think the Ubuntu portion is a bit over the top and some of it looks very unprofessional. I would surf the webpages of some other schools to get a feel for the kinds of things people would expect to see on such a page. The pictures included are pretty random and would do a whole lot better with some captions. Try to look at it from the view of someone who doesn't have a clue what Linux or Ubuntu are. Better yet, get someone who doesn't know to look at it.

Sealbhach
September 22nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Nice webpage, looks really good.

You sound a bit fanboy towards the end, could tone it down a notch.:)

bigbrovar
September 27th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Ok ok I finally edited the Computer page and removed the controversial MS vs GNU/Linux/FOSS comparison apparently some one from MS called my boss and that was the finally straw .but i was going to remove it anyway so they could have just saved their phone bill http://www.aust.edu.ng/node/70

steveneddy
September 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Very nice.

Great work!

You are a great mind that will lead many to the heart of technology.

I applaud your efforts.

bigbrovar
September 27th, 2008, 03:20 AM
steveneddy
Re: My Boss felt i went extreme with this ..
Very nice.

Great work!

You are a great mind that will lead many to the heart of technology.

I applaud your efforts. Thanks for your kind words

zmjjmz
September 27th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Wait, someone from MS called?
Are you serious? That's ridiculous.

bigbrovar
September 27th, 2008, 04:24 AM
zmjjmz
Re: My Boss felt i went extreme with this ..
Wait, someone from MS called?
Are you serious? That's ridiculous.

yep

zmjjmz
September 27th, 2008, 04:50 AM
yep

But what could they possibly do to you or the university?
It's not like you're their customer or anything.

geogur
September 27th, 2008, 05:00 AM
you guys are on the cutting edge of computing thats why ms is concerned , i am really glad to see the wide use of linux in school. i have to teach my self for i am 48 and did not have pc`s when i went through school . but i am a linux only pc user.(ubuntu/zandros/fedora) 3 distros for 2 laptops and a pc . no ms .

bigbrovar
September 27th, 2008, 05:13 AM
But what could they possibly do to you or the university?
It's not like you're their customer or anything.
Well the school is an initiative of the World Bank and has some power private and public sponsors, some of whom are MS partners. If MS presses Them. They might Press Us.

davidryder
September 27th, 2008, 05:27 AM
The mission of the page is confusing. Is the purpose to bash MS and promote Ubuntu or to educate visitors on the computer labs? If it's the latter, you went way overboard. Besides that, but your numbers are WAY off.

bigbrovar
September 27th, 2008, 05:47 AM
The mission of the page is confusing. Is the purpose to bash MS and promote Ubuntu or to educate visitors on the computer labs? If it's the latter, you went way overboard. Besides that, but your numbers are WAY off.

Well its a matter of opinion. Personally i dont think i went overboard. the first thing we get from new people here is why don't we use MS.many people here dont even know how much MS cost many feel the $2 they pay is actually the price of MS. i felt the need to let them know before hand why we use Linux hence the Comparison.About the price i got them from MS partners on the net from MS official sites.we tried getting consideration from MS for a reduced version of Windows but there insisted we used Vista and even then we have not been granted .the protocol is just too long hence the Proposed windows lab is underlock and key becuase we dont have the money to pay for a full version of windows esp when the Labs are performing well.

S0VERE1GN
September 27th, 2008, 06:35 AM
hehe.

it is kind of a shameless plug for ubuntu linux.

informing that you use ubuntu at the school is cool for sure, but id remove the penguin and try to keep your biased comments about ubuntu to a minimum. possibly have a friend read it who isn't so into the linux scene and have him tell you what's silly.

bigbrovar
September 27th, 2008, 06:54 AM
but id remove the penguin and try to keep your biased comments about ubuntu to a minimum. possibly have a friend read it who isn't so into the linux scene and have him tell you what's silly.

how is it shameless? we are talking about a computer lab page. not the home screen. so if i put the windows logo there as one of the product we use would u find it biased. or if i replaced Ubuntu with Windows/mac while describing a Computer lab that windows/lab would it still me silly.Open source is an advantage especially in an educational environment where the school and the students are allowed to adapt the software to their needs which is what we did at AUST. so what is wrong talking about it .

techmarks
September 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Each student has been provided with a laptop that comes equipped with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Linux. Ubuntu is our university's operating system of choice, and it has been installed on all student laptops and all computers in the labs.

Two Computer Labs, each with 21 workstations (Ubuntu 8.04). Both these labs have Mimio installed on the professor's Workstation. Mimio is an interactive whiteboard software, that can be used for live computer-based demonstrations of scientific experiments and procedures.

We have adopted the Linux distribution Ubuntu as the platform of choice for our IT infrastructure.

Ubuntu is the Linux distro used in our two computer labs

Our servers and the computer lab desktops all run Ubuntu, an enterprise-level operating system that is completely free of charge.

The penguin graphic comes across badly, the multiple references to the Ubuntu brand are repetive and indicative of someone with an axe to grind.

It seems to me the page should be less impassioned and concentrated on the description of the technological aspects of the lab.

Ubuntu is just one of many operating systems available, and most students will eventually be exposed to other OS's.

I don't mean to sound harsh about it, but the writing style and tone could be improved.

Still the page looks nice and has a good and pleasing design.

Canis familiaris
September 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM
What I would recommend:
Remove those Ubuntu Logos. No University I know uses logos of Operating Systems in their Websites.
In the monitor picture post, the picture of the Desktop NOT the login screen. The Login Screen seems much like an advertisement and has no appeal. The picture of the desktop would not be advertising and would be more helpful.
And I don't think the part on Free and Open Source Software is needed...