PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Advice Needed For a Referance Mail

Ekril
September 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
I am a Freshman Student in European University of Lefke which is located in TRNC (North Cyprus) . I tried to put some posters in student dormitories and halls. But the authority (Called Office Of the Dean of Students) had talled me that i should have a Referance mail from Canonical Corp. and/or from GNU (cause i talled them that Ubuntu GNU/Linux is an software which is produced as OpenSource and I am free to distrubate it "as is". ). But i do not know how i may get a referance which says that "As any human who lives on earth I have the right to distrubate any Open Source Software."

If there is somebody who can tell me what must i do i will be glad.

Thanks

Ekrem.

mips
September 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
You can reference this:
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/philosophy
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/shipit-faq -"How much does Ubuntu cost?"
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php
http://www.fsf.org/

Add the web links to the top of the documents when you print them.

I do not see why they need a reference email. Imagine if everyone asked for one?
The license conditions are clearly stated on their websites for all to see.

Ekril
September 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Mips thanks..

But you may be sure that i have credited nearly all the links you have mentioned. But they want "a written permission." which sounds foolish. : )

And i also know that this will be a hard process to gain (if i can) a written permission.

Hate burocracy

binbash
September 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Mips thanks..

But you may be sure that i have credited nearly all the links you have mentioned. But they want "a written permission." which sounds foolish. : )

And i also know that this will be a hard process to gain (if i can) a written permission.

Hate burocracy

Dude that is a written permission.The only difference it is not written to a name,it is public.

Ekril
September 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
binbash..

I really know that you are really right. But The fool Dean and his secretary do not understand.

I will try to learn how i may create a new distro which is totally ubuntu but the name and tell them "this is a distro which i did. ok.

I hope its easy to work with the sources.

:S

mips
September 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
binbash..

I really know that you are really right. But The fool Dean and his secretary do not understand.

Forward those links to the dean and tell them the permission is a public statement. Also, if you have discs from shipit show them the back of the cover sleeve.

Alternatively just carry on what you are doing as they have to prove that you are doing something illegal, which you are not. Maybe the head of IT knows something about GNU/FOSS and can back you up.

Fire a mail off to trademarks@ubuntu.com and explain your situation to them asking for a letter of reference and let them cc your dean.

Ekril
September 22nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Alternatively just carry on what you are doing as they have to prove that you are doing something illegal, which you are not. Maybe the head of IT knows something about GNU/FOSS and can back you up.

Man..
This is it..

If they sue me they should prove that i am guilty. Am i wrong?

haha ..

Thanks again and again.

mips
September 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Man..
This is it..

If they sue me they should prove that i am guilty. Am i wrong?

haha ..

Thanks again and again.

Not the best option, always better not to rock the boat.
Then again in a idiotic system one could always be found guilty while being innocent. So take caution.

Are you studying computer science or computer engineering? Ask the head of IT if they have any FTP servers or other file servers on campus you can get linux from. They must use linux somewhere on campus. Then ask the dean for the letter of reference :)

Ekril
September 22nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Then again in a idiotic system one could always be found guilty while being innocent. So take caution.

Are you studying computer science or computer engineering? Ask the head of IT if they have any FTP servers or other file servers on campus you can get linux from. They must use linux somewhere on campus. Then ask the dean for the letter of reference :)

Journalism..

I will write to Canonical.. Thanks for your help and advice.

ModelM
September 22nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
All you really need, I would think, is one of the official disks - either a DVD or CD.

On the back of the slipcover is written:

Ubuntu is software libre. You are encouraged and legally entitled to copy, reinstall, modify, and redistribute this CD for yourself and your friends.

uberdonkey5
September 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Then again in a idiotic system one could always be found guilty while being innocent. So take caution...

Rock the boat man! Anyway, they won't take you to court, it is them worried about being taken to court for allowing it. If it DOES go to court, it will be one of the best adverts for ubuntu ever (and a professional witness would likely be necessary, who would obviously find you innoncent). Keeping putting up the posters and just give them a print out of the ubuntu site which details the philosophy and licensing. Explain to them that the company make money out of consultancy, not the software. The law is on your side man, fight ignorance ;)

Do you think the ubuntu community (and indeed Canonical) would stand by if you were prosecuted for this??!

PS. as a caution, they won't take you to court, but usually universities have the descetion to just throw you out of the university if you annoy them. Even if they eventually realise you are right, they may stick by a decision to eject you just to stop loosing face. However... do what you're doing and convince them of this. Indeed, tell them it is an important social phenomena that is helping people who do not have access to expensive software in other countries.