PDA

View Full Version : if you designed a keyboard where whould you put the control key?

2cute4u
September 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Being someone who grew up on a mac, where the main modifoer key (that case the cmd key) is next to the spsacebar, where it wold be hit by the thumb; I think its totally crazy that linux uses a key in the far lower corner as the main modifier (in this case control) key. Of course I realize that this is biased by my experience, but I'm still convinced that the mac way is ergonomicly and functionally better. So I was curious, if people with different experiences, would think different about where the best place for the control key is.

So, if you were suddenly in charge of defining the standard keyboard layout, and you didn't have to concern yourself with what people are already used to, where would you put the the control key, and why?

beercz
September 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Why limit it to the control key?

Why not choose where any of the other keys go? Or perhaps why some keys should be added/removed?

I like my keyboard the way it is btw.

uberdonkey5
September 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
I agree, but prefer things to stay how they are cos I am used to it.

Also, I'm english, but adapting to portugues key board lay-out. We have the character, and also a key to allow you to do things like this . The plus and minus and other stuff is in different places. Worst still, I found using a french collegues keyboard impossible, the letters are even in a different order!

P.S. why not have a random assignment to keys everytime we turn on the computer :) would be a funny virus at least

Barrucadu
September 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
I think I'd slowly go mad without the control key in the bottom left. However I would change the following (for keyboards where these keys exist):

Relabel the Windows key to Super, and only have one (next to control)
Relabel the Alt key to Meta, and only have one (next to super)
Add a Compose key next to Alt Gr
Remove Scroll Lock (seriously, what does it do?)

UbuWu
September 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
I would combine the control, alt and both windows keys in one key. And I would remove both the caps lock and scroll lock keys. And I would also leave out the print screen/sysrq and pause/break keys.

Craziest thing: my current keyboard has a key between the left shift and the Z labeled "not used".

geoken
September 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
I would leave the main modifier exactly where it is. Having it on the corner makes it really easy to hit. Also, the corner position makes it easier for me to hit the greatest amount of keys while typing with one hand.

2cute4u
September 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
I think I'd slowly go mad without the control key in the bottom left.

I agree, but prefer things to stay how they are cos I am used to it.

But are you used to it because you adaptred to a bad design, or do you actually think thats the best place for it, and would optimally put it there.

Everyone wants things should be the way they are used it it being, but I think, that where I'm used it it being (next to the space bar) is objectively better, and even if I wasn't used to anything I still would put it there. So if you were not used to anything, would you still put it in the bottom left corner?

I would leave the main modifier exactly where it is. Having it on the corner makes it really easy to hit. Also, the corner position makes it easier for me to hit the greatest amount of keys while typing with one hand.

Do you really like using your pinky instead of your thumb?

Bungo Pony
September 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
The keyboard I grew up with placed the CTRL key beside the letter Q. I'd probably put it there. The tab key can move down to the bottom left.

As for the 3 useless wonders (Print Screen / SysRq, Scroll Lock, Pause/Break) the only one I have never used is Scroll Lock. Although many people use it, I could also do without the number pad. I never use it, but that also comes from growing up with a keyboard that didn't have one.

Oh yeah, and replace the Caps Lock key with a REAL button - one that stays in when it's pressed. There's too many stupid keyboard designs where you can't tell if it's on or not. If it actually locks in the down position, it's easy to tell by feel and look.

linux5uper
September 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
But are you used to it because you adaptred to a bad design, or do you actually think thats the best place for it, and would optimally put it there.

Do you really like using your pinky instead of your thumb?

Yes I do. That way I can reach P with my left thumb while pressing the left ctrl button. This helps me achieve a better stretch on my guitar fretboard too! :guitar: