PDA

View Full Version : Bitcomet in Wine still Blows away other clients

tommygunner
September 22nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
I did some experimenting today with some torrents. I tried the same torrent file in several different clients:

Transmission
Deluge
Bitcomet (in Wine)

Bitcomet started showing downloading activity right away and achieved a much higher download speed after a few minutes.

I'm wondering if any others have noticed this? Can these other programs be tuned to perform better or am I using the wrong linux torrent client?

NoReflex
September 22nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
I don't think that there are programs that download faster than others...it depends where you are downloading from. I use uTorrent in Windows and Linux, Bitcomet in Windows, Transmission, uTorrent + Wine and Deluge in Ubuntu and I must say that all reached the same max download speed (the same torrent file was used). I think uTorrent has the best interface but since I no longer use Windows as my main OS I chosed Deluge as my bittorrent client.
When you start Deluge it asks you about your connection...and based on what you choose it sets some limits - you may want to check the Bandwidth settings.

Best wishes,
NoReflex

sloggerkhan
September 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
I've thought bitcomet sucked in every time I've tried it.
pretty much deluge, ktorrent, transmission, and uTorrent are the only real options at this point.

SupaSonic
September 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
BitComet is not really a good choice:

Quote:
BitComet was banned from KickAssAnime because of the following reason:

"ok here is exactly why. BitComet reports false data to the tracker and to other peers. it reports that it is sending out way more data to peers than it actually is. so by banning it, and forcing the leechers to use clients that dont cheat, we get a healthier torrent. because (not sure if everyone knows) a healthy torrent works on the rewards system most of the time. meaning its like "ok ill send you a piece of this torrent, then you tell me when you sent it to someone else, and ill send you another." Bitcomet, as soon as it recieves a piece, wether it sends or not, reports back to the client that it recieved it from that it sent it to another peer. by removing the leechy client by nature, the torrent gets healthier, and the people who use real clients, and try to go 1:1 on the torrents get the complete torrent faster."

Bakon Jarser
September 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
I don't think that there are programs that download faster than others...it depends where you are downloading from. I use uTorrent in Windows and Linux, Bitcomet in Windows, Transmission, uTorrent + Wine and Deluge in Ubuntu and I must say that all reached the same max download speed (the same torrent file was used). I think uTorrent has the best interface but since I no longer use Windows as my main OS I chosed Deluge as my bittorrent client.
When you start Deluge it asks you about your connection...and based on what you choose it sets some limits - you may want to check the Bandwidth settings.

Best wishes,
NoReflex

I've only got anecdotal evidence but the client seems to make a difference to me. Deluge is quite a bit faster then Transmission. Also different clients take up different amounts of ram. Azereus is a memory hog because it uses java, but it also has a ton of options.

pt123
September 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Bit Comet is banned on many of the prvate servers. When I am using a public server I always ban all the bit comet client users.

karellen
September 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
never liked bitcomet. I use utorrent in Vista and Ktorrent in Linux

Polygon
September 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
you do realize bitcomet is banned by not only many trackers, but many clients as well (they refuse connections from bitcomet clients) cause it is 'unfair' with upload/download rations and reports false data

zekopeko
September 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
last time i used bitcomet it was becoming an ad infested badware.
if you are on windows use utorrent.

sharks
September 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
the reason why ubuntu (linux) doesnt support bitcomet is that it uses some illegal code to download faster.......

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
I did some experimenting today with some torrents. I tried the same torrent file in several different clients:

Transmission
Deluge
Bitcomet (in Wine)

Bitcomet started showing downloading activity right away and achieved a much higher download speed after a few minutes.

I'm wondering if any others have noticed this? Can these other programs be tuned to perform better or am I using the wrong linux torrent client?

If I download a torrent, I hit 600kb/s (my top speed) after 10-20 seconds in transmission (on private trackers that is).

So this isn't a issue for me. I don't download from public trackers, so I can't comment on that.

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM

Transmission
Deluge
Bitcomet (in Wine)

It could also be you settings.

I am on ADSL.

If I allow other users to use my full upload speed, then my download is slower.

If I allow them half my upload speed, then my download speed maxs out.

tommygunner
September 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Well I also tried Utorrent through Wine shortly after on the same torrent it the download speeds were even better.

I'm starting to like Utorrent much better than Bitcomet. Bitcomet has been getting sloppy looking with pop ups and so on. Also as someone mentioned they are banned in some places.

I haven't tried adjusting the speed settings on the linux clients. I just selected the default options.

the_darkside_986
September 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Indeed, a bittorrent client's rating must never be based on download speed because the protocol is based on sharing ratio fairness. So the theoretical "best" client would that which downloads AND uploads the most fairly in the fastest time.