PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to write Chinese in Open Office or Abi?

lesterness
September 22nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
I have Xubuntu,Hardy Heron, and Open Office 2.4, as well as Abi, on my laptop. I would like to set up Open Office (or Abi) to type Chinese characters, particularly the traditional characters used 100 years ago. The instructions given by N. Sivin at ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin/chinp.html no longer seem to work. (He assumes Gutsy Gibbon and probably an older version of Open Office.)

So does anyone know how to set up Chinese character typing? Linux is the official operating system of the People's Republic, so it ought to be possible. :-)

Thanks.

Lesterness

ethoxyethaan
September 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
is this a font, Keyboard layout or encoding related issue?

better: which of the following is not working

expatCM
September 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM
You need to enable Chinese language support (system / administration / language support)

You then need to install scim which is the input method. Since you use Xubuntu I am not sure if you use scim or skim but I would try scim. I seem to recall there are a couple of other scim related items in synaptic which you also need to support traditional characters.

You may also want to fonts at some stage. The Hong Kong government has some traditional Chinese fonts for free download .... just use google.

I had to set up language support for simplified and traditional Chinese together with Thai for my wife to use so I know it work and it is not hard but that is on Ubuntu.....

lesterness
September 23rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
is this a font, Keyboard layout or encoding related issue?

better: which of the following is not working

I followed Dr. Sivin's instructions, but when I press Ctrl-space, nothing. I should get a little window that shows characters when I type in pinyin.

Lesterness

expatCM
September 23rd, 2008, 12:26 AM
There are other ways if you have it all set up completely ........... for example there may be a keyboard icon in the system tray, when you want to type in Chinese you select the keyboard icon and then Chinese from the popup.

When you then go into an application to type what happens is you type the phonetic or roman equivalent of the character and a short pop up list appears. From that list you choose the character you want.

lesterness
September 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
You need to enable Chinese language support (system / administration / language support)

You then need to install scim which is the input method. Since you use Xubuntu I am not sure if you use scim or skim but I would try scim. I seem to recall there are a couple of other scim related items in synaptic which you also need to support traditional characters.

You may also want to fonts at some stage. The Hong Kong government has some traditional Chinese fonts for free download .... just use google.

I had to set up language support for simplified and traditional Chinese together with Thai for my wife to use so I know it work and it is not hard but that is on Ubuntu.....

Thanks. I'll try it. Can you recommend a URL for fonts? I need both old and new.

lesterness

expatCM
September 23rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
I suggest you first look in synaptic, there is a good selection of simplified and traditional to be found. If you cannot find anything on the HK Government site then the newspaper publishers in Taiwan offer some free fonts (traditional) and I think xinhua has a number of free downloads of simplified ......

You may also want to see what Alan Wood's site has to offer. You will fall into this site any moment now .........

afeasfaerw23231233
October 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM
昆明的朋友,你好!
you can have a look at this thread started by me
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589279&highlight=scim
with screenshot
You should able to make scim work following that helpful guy's instructions.