PDA

View Full Version : Linux: the girlfriend test

Ms_Angel_D
September 22nd, 2008, 05:17 AM
I thought this was an interesting article and figured I would share it :D

Linux: the girlfriend test (http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/the-linux-girlfriend-test-465968)

doorknob60
September 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Cool, they should have tried Ubuntu though, it would have handled Flash and Skype better (and doesn't rhythbox convert to MP3 for iPod automatically, I'm not sure because I use KDE but I thought it did).

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Stupid test.

If they let someone test Windows XP/Vista it is always on a box that is preconfigured.

If they want to know how user friendly Fedora is, let them install flash first and make sure skype is working.

Then ask the girlfriend how much trouble she has had.

He obviously knew these issues were going to come up before they occurred.

--

My mother, (twin)brother, 10 year old brother all use Ubuntu and none of them has any problem with it.

Even though they are all used to windows XP.

Sometimes when I am finished gaming on my XP partition and my brother want to use it, he reboots the pc to be able to use Ubuntu. And he is a complete computer noob.

I don't need these articles to tell me how user friendly Linux is. It is the best there is, once configured properly.

Chame_Wizard
September 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Stop complaining about the Pinguin

barbedsaber
September 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Cool, they should have tried Ubuntu though, it would have handled Flash and Skype better (and doesn't rhythbox convert to MP3 for iPod automatically, I'm not sure because I use KDE but I thought it did).

http://contentconsumer.com/2008/04/27/is-ubuntu-useable-enough-for-my-girlfriend/

Ms_Angel_D
September 22nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
http://contentconsumer.com/2008/04/27/is-ubuntu-useable-enough-for-my-girlfriend/

Ohh Nice, Thank you :D

qazwsx
September 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
I don't get it.

Let's give her vanilla XP resolution @800x600. Then compare. (Or try something like Mint instead)

nothingspecial
September 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Me and the kids = no windows experience whatsoever. Never touched a windows machine. We`ve never had a problem using Ubuntu.

Wife = used windows for years at work. Got our 1st home computer with Ubuntu installed and she`s totally lost.

Wife got windows laptop for her birthday so she can have a "normal" computer.

When it goes wrong I can`t fix it.

Neither can she.

Solution = install Ubuntu.

Wife has working laptop that, after a bit of reconditioning, fulfills all her needs.

Conclusion = it`s difficult to change your ways, but it can be done.

perce
September 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
We should pretend we have a girlfriend who has never used Windows, and put her in front of a Windows machine:

uh... how do I install skype? I can't find add/remove in the menu, and if I double click on the deb on my desktop, nothing happens

I need to print my e-ticket to a file, so that I don't lose it. How do I do this with IE?

I was trying to write a document, and it opened wordpad, are you kidding? it looks like in the 80's.

Why it doesn't play all my OGG collection?

I can I write Nødde Tærte (a Danish cake)?

How do I cut-and paste? the middle button does nothing!

Why the printer my boyfriend configured on his Mac desktop (using CUPS) doesn't show up in the menu?

(after a while) Why did it get so damn slow? are you serious? are you telling me someone installed a program on it from the Internet, which is eating all my CPU time and my band width to send spam??

I would write such a post myself, however I have never used Windows, so I couldn't make it factual.

brunovecchi
September 23rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
We should pretend we have a girlfriend who has never used Windows, and put her in front of a Windows machine:

uh... how do I install skype? I can't find add/remove in the menu, and if I double click on the deb on my desktop, nothing happens

I need to print my e-ticket to a file, so that I don't lose it. How do I do this with IE?

I was trying to write a document, and it opened wordpad, are you kidding? it looks like in the 80's.

Why it doesn't play all my OGG collection?

I can I write Nødde Tærte (a Danish cake)?

How do I cut-and paste? the middle button does nothing!

Why the printer my boyfriend configured on his Mac desktop (using CUPS) doesn't show up in the menu?

(after a while) Why did it get so damn slow? are you serious? are you telling me someone installed a program on it from the Internet, which is eating all my CPU time and my band width to send spam??

I would write such a post myself, however I have never used Windows, so I couldn't make it factual.

You make a good point. People expect other distros to hold Windows' users hands, while not the opposite. In fact, it tends to slip their minds how much functionality a vainilla install of any Linux distro has and how little you can do with a fresh Windows install.

macogw
September 23rd, 2008, 05:59 AM
You make a good point. People expect other distros to hold Windows' users hands, while not the opposite. In fact, it tends to slip their minds how much functionality a vainilla install of any Linux distro has and how little you can do with a fresh Windows install.

Doesn't slip my mind. I used Windows for 10 years. Haven't used it much in the last 2 years. So confused when I have to nowadays. Thankfully, the only time I have to now is in a school computer lab to run CentOS 5 in VMWare. Once someone explained that Shared Documents (on the network) is located in the My Documents window (WTF?) so I could get the disk image, I was OK.

FuturePilot
September 23rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Stupid test.

If they let someone test Windows XP/Vista it is always on a box that is preconfigured.

If they want to know how user friendly Fedora is, let them install flash first and make sure skype is working.

Then ask the girlfriend how much trouble she has had.

He obviously knew these issues were going to come up before they occurred.

--

My mother, (twin)brother, 10 year old brother all use Ubuntu and none of them has any problem with it.

Even though they are all used to windows XP.

Sometimes when I am finished gaming on my XP partition and my brother want to use it, he reboots the pc to be able to use Ubuntu. And he is a complete computer noob.

I don't need these articles to tell me how user friendly Linux is. It is the best there is, once configured properly.

Totally agreed.

macogw
September 23rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Also, hi, I'm a girl. I prefer the Linux boyfriend test. Note that the potential-boyfriend is the one being tested, not the distro.