PDA

View Full Version : Linux/Open Source Ad ideas

Ellipsis
September 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Many of the user created "ads" for Linux really seem anti-Microsoft/Apple/proprietary but I would like so see a "TV-style" commercail and really like the new "I'm a PC style" of Microsoft. So here are few of my ideas:

"I'm a person counter-campaign"- I know I said that Anti-Microsoft/etc ads are bad but I thought I would relieve myself of this first.

Basically a large group of Linux/OSS users...dont care what distribution because all the AD will show would be the people. This Ad would be done pretty simply by indivuals each doing the clips, a editor putting them together and a final "Community, more than technology"..."Linux/GNU, Open Source, Community (left flashing on a white/black screen).

Of course the clips would have to be taken to certain standards and would need a 30 second/ 1 minute/ Youtube 10 minute version and a "full version" featuring everyone who submitted their videos (a hell to edit).

"SHARE"- Close up on kid in a cafeteria, the kid has a sandwich split in halfs...the kid sees another kid without a lunch beside him/her, the kid gives half to that kid. A kid across the table sees this act and shares/trades with another kid and so on rapidly moving the camera until you zoom out to the full cafeteria in a Buzz. Whiteout and a blink "SHARE", "Linux, OpennSoure, SHARE" (This Ad could be done with a voice over but I think it is pretty simple

"FREE"- Zoom in on a man finding a guitar (old broken/in the trash). Voice over: Some people say Free doesn't work. Move the Camera out of the store show the man walking home with his find. Show the man fixing it/strumming in his apartment through a window.Voice Over: Some people say Free is impossible. Spin the Camera show the man on street corner playing with a crowd and accidentally getting some money (you know in the hat kinda thing maybe in a Red Fedora ;)). Show the man as a rock star on stage (hinting that he his making millions). Show him leaving and than giving a kid his guitar. Voice Over: I see things differently. White out to "Linux/GNU, Open Source, FREE (Left blinking on the screen). (This ad isn't meant to be anti-proprietary as it shows the guy earning money)

Anyway what are your ideas? Please don't go overboard with the comparison ads. Show what Linux/OSS have to offer not Apple/Microsoft's mistakes. These are just brain storming ideas...go crazy no budget no limits.

bashveank
September 22nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
Can't think of any at the moment, but I think your ideas are brilliant, much better than the countless "winblows sucks" stuff that's on youtube.

aysiu
September 22nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
I'd like to see interviews with "average users" that are along the lines of "I don't play first-person shooter games. I don't use special accounting software. I'm not a graphic designer. All I want to do on my computer is check email, browser the web, listen to music, organize photos, and word process, and Linux allows me to do this."

eldragon
September 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
with some friends laughing, we came up with the folowing:

someone gives a condom with antivirus written on the package and says, to protect your computer use this...

computer owner says: i dont need it, i use linux :D

Ellipsis
September 22nd, 2008, 04:24 AM
I'd like to see interviews with "average users" that are along the lines of "I don't play first-person shooter games. I don't use special accounting software. I'm not a graphic designer. All I want to do on my computer is check email, browser the web, listen to music, organize photos, and word process, and Linux allows me to do this."

This is a metaphorical representation of what you are talking about but people will hopefully get it and it won't be as blunt:

"SIMPLICITY"- A average person walking along a street in a major urban capital. Sees a bunch of people break dancing, looks but continues on, walks by a cop dealing with a traffic accident, continues walking past a book signing, a reporter etc. (not sure which "professional" jobs/talents are the best choices). This is were I still have not figured it out:
a) The person steps into a club or party (highlighting the presence of community. "Simplicity, Community, Linux/GNU." as the camera pans upward into a black out.
b) The person completes some goal for example it is a mother getting groceries or something basic like that. White or Black out. Again the white out text here will have to be carefully chosen.

with some friends laughing, we came up with the folowing:

someone gives a condom with antivirus written on the package and says, to protect your computer use this...

computer owner says: i dont need it, i use linux :D

That would make a great Youtube vid but it would not be very "professional" and it is still going with the "Windows Sucks" theme. Also I think it could be negatively interpreted because of the "Sex without a Condom is bad and you are being a ignorant person if you do it" thing. Linux could be interpreted similarly (that we are a bunch of ignorant guys who dont use condoms and have a lot of babies), Nonetheless, I would love to see a video of that.

kilosan
September 22nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
Isnt the new I am PC Ad looks like Ubuntuish motto?

If ubuntu made an AD it would be people from all over the world with different races and language saying "Im a Human Being and Im Free".

Ub1476
September 22nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
Seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwL0G9wK8j4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHjT5-XM9o&feature=related

Anyway I agree to that the Microsoft ad fits more for Ubuntu/Linux.

lswest
September 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
Wow, I like that last idea with the guitar bit. Someone like Novell should use it. (Have you seen the Linux ads where it's a kid and he's learning, I think it's from IBM or so, they were good too).

Nice ideas!

Ms_Angel_D
September 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Ok so I don't write commercials, but this is sorta an Idea, that just kind of passed over me while reading through this thread.

Normally when your in the business section of a big city you see all kinds of people walking around in business type suits, they can all look the same.

So you get this on film, maybe pan out from it a bit then Zero in on guy/chic wearing something totally different, but yet they are still business minded folks, getting their work done just in a different manner. Fade to white screen.

Catchphrase "Being Different can make all the difference!"

Don't know if it's good or not, just a passing Idea... ;)

lswest
September 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Ok so I don't write commercials, but this is sorta an Idea, that just kind of passed over me while reading through this thread.

Normally when your in the business section of a big city you see all kinds of people walking around in business type suits, they can all look the same.

So you get this on film, maybe pan out from it a bit then Zero in on guy/chic wearing something totally different, but yet they are still business minded folks, getting their work done just in a different manner. Fade to white screen.

I like it, simple, yet effective. And isn't that what Linux is about? Being different, and to allow you to express yourself. Customization/uniqueness and all that.

artir
September 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Here is my idea:

A voice over saying: We've being powering X percent of supercomputers.
We've being powering X percent of servers
While that is said, videos are shown showing I don't know what, tell me. XD
After that:

Ubuntu. Now on your desktop
www.ubuntu.com
And then, a thunder sounds.

uberdonkey5
September 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
I think professionalism and subtelty is the key. People DO like unusual things. When I first saw the ubuntu log in screen I said 'what's that!.

e.g.
"a diver in heavy diving gear (maybe working on a rig) comes to the surface of a rough sea (everything is dark/grey colours). As he turns around you see the ubuntu emblem on the back of his helmet, and some type of catch phrase ('let ubuntu set you free' or 'powered by ubuntu' etc)"

Obviously a series of completely different adds like that. People will ask, what the heck is the advert about! Eventually the very few people out there will see, thats ubuntu, come and have a look.

Needs to be REALLY professionally filmed and sharp though. I was thinking a catch phrase like 'you can rely on ubuntu' but I'm afraid its not true enough :)

of course this would only work on television.. not on you tube

uberdonkey5
September 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Here is my idea:

A voice over saying: We've being powering X percent of supercomputers.
We've being powering X percent of servers
While that is said, videos are shown showing I don't know what, tell me. XD
After that:

Ubuntu. Now on your desktop
www.ubuntu.com
And then, a thunder sounds.

dancing girls ;) he he

artir
September 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
dancing girls ;) he he

We would get a lot of attention XD.

We have the ubuntu-calendar in the repos <-- Another sentence for the add

god0fgod
September 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
I don't like the "share" one lol. People will probably think communism.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
[This post has moved forwards in time and space]

uberdonkey5
September 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM

Yeh, businesses need to get onboard with linux (I mean, as a PC). We shouldn't be marketing to geeks like ourselves, but to businesses that want proper and effective 'business solutions'*
Ubuntu should stop being a hobby.

(* God I hate that expression)

Ellipsis
September 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM

Yeah the whole Linux is communism thing is kinda bad but at least we will get the commies on board. Anyway that is why I think the second ad would be more targeted for business.

I think that share should be run at the same time because "SHARE" expresses the social and technologically value of sharing. While "FREE" expresses how one can turn what is shared into profit (business value) and give back at the same time.

Yeh, businesses need to get onboard with linux (I mean, as a PC). We shouldn't be marketing to geeks like ourselves, but to businesses that want proper and effective 'business solutions'*
Ubuntu should stop being a hobby.

(* God I hate that expression)

I think we can get an ad to express that sentiment as well.

"PLAY" Show a baby stacking some blocks...spin the camera around (yeah I find that effect cool), show the a kid building a sandcastle, spin again show a teen putting together a model of the Eiffel tower,spin again then show a man's back (grown up version of the kid) with plans in front of him then pan upward to show a giant skyscraper completed/almost completed. I have no idea what kind of inspiring text or voice over to put in there but maybe just putting "Innovation Through Play. Open Source. Linux." would be enough.

Ms_Angel_D
September 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
I like it, simple, yet effective. And isn't that what Linux is about? Being different, and to allow you to express yourself. Customization/uniqueness and all that.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it :D

Ellipsis
September 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM

Very good. Not sure about the catch phrase though "can make all the difference" is a very overused statement.

DeadSuperHero
September 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Heh, these conversations always seem to come up.

Here's a thread with some ideas.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=488414

Ms_Angel_D
September 23rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
Very good. Not sure about the catch phrase though "can make all the difference" is a very overused statement.

Your probably right, but I think anything about being different could work, I did say I don't write commercials.. ;-) :lolflag:

littletinman
September 23rd, 2008, 01:19 AM
Hey, i've done Voice talent stuff before, and have the equipment on hand to do soem voice recording. I'd love to help out where i can. Shoot me a private mail witha ny projects you'd like done.

Ellipsis
September 24th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hey, i've done Voice talent stuff before, and have the equipment on hand to do soem voice recording. I'd love to help out where i can. Shoot me a private mail witha ny projects you'd like done.

As long as you weren't a chipmunk I think that would be great. Even if you where I think that would still be cool though a little hard to do a Ad targeted towards business.

Anyway I created a YouTube group for anyone interested...the first project is just a no-script, under 10 second "introductory" set of videos to see if we can do anything with them.

http://www.youtube.com/group/10secs

MaxIBoy
September 24th, 2008, 01:01 AM

I play first-person-shooter games. I don't use special accounting software. I'm a graphic designer. I also check email, browse the web, and listen to music. I haven't used Windows in almost a month now.