PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE4 plasmoids install but are not accessible

cisforcojo
September 22nd, 2008, 02:23 AM
Having some troubles with KDE4 (but still love it!)

1) When I download and install plasmoids through KDE4's graphical plasmoid installer (you can choose to install new plasmoids while looking at the +Add widgets dialog), the plasmoids download and install but are never added to the list of available widgets to add.

2) I have downloaded a .deb of lancelot from the repos and THAT is now in the list but I cannot use it. I can add the menu icon to my panel but I cannot open a menu with it. I can look at settings but can never use the menu editor.

3) One more thing of note, I can't actually add ANY of the plasmoids in the widget list to my desktop (for example, the binary clock, the notes widget, etc). When I choose to add a widget, the plasmoid will just show up as a small default box in the top left of my screen with no properties. This is standard for all of the widgets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pro-reason
September 22nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I get that too. There are so many bugs in KDE 4. My solution has been to ditch it in favour of GNOME. I'll return to KDE 4 when they bring out a stable version.

cisforcojo
September 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
I never had these problems with openSUSE 11 (I had problems with openSUSE itself but not much that was KDE-related) just for the record. I love KDE4.1 and I love what they're doing. I'm willing to look past a lack of function for the sake of innovation.

awakatanka
September 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kde4libs/+bug/254184 for the 2 on kde-look now you need also superkaramba for kde4

2. No problem here using hardy and intrepid, but also see 3

3. Think its better to rename ~/.kde4 to somethin else and ctrl-alt-backspace after that so it makes a new ~/.kde4 for me that solved all problems after a upgrade.

cisforcojo
October 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks!
As the new Ubuntu is coming out in 11 days, I'll just wait until then to try it out hehe. Hopefully it'll be ironed out in the new version.