PDA

View Full Version : Long Report on *nix / Open Source

TreeFinger
September 22nd, 2008, 01:54 AM
For one of my classes at university this semester I am required to write a long report on a subject that pertains to the business world. I was thinking that I would like to write about *nix and/or open source software and how it can be connected with the business world.

I'm here because I need some ideas. I really need a good topic right now.. I also am required to use at least 5 books in my research. The report has to be at least 7 pages long.

Anyone wanna throw some topics around? I'm worried I won't be able to find any books on the subject of open source and/or *nix

Lord Xeb
September 22nd, 2008, 02:07 AM
How about how linux has helped the server industry. It makes up like 17%.

Bölvağur
September 22nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
There must be something about different ways to gain money from oss.

Redhat and HP go very different ways in gaining the money. Also Google with it's Android and Chrome. All every different angles on how to gain from oss. But Im not sure if there are any books about it.

Therion
September 22nd, 2008, 02:18 AM
What about open-source licensure and such? You could touch on intellectual property law, ownership and licensing of copyrights, patents, trademarks, "Academic licenses" and alternative licenses like the ones used by Mozilla, CP (Common Public License), OSL (Open Source License) and AFL (Academic Free License) as well as the benefits of open source, and the obligations and risks facing businesses that choose to deploy open source software.