PDA

View Full Version : Hackers attacked the LHC!

Lord Xeb
September 22nd, 2008, 12:52 AM
http://whatiswrongwiththeworldtoday.com/science/hackers-attack-large-hadron-collider

This was taken from the forth paragraph:

Scientists working at Cern (http://www.cern.ch/), the organisation that runs the vast smasher, were worried about what the hackers could do because they were “one step away” from the computer control system of one of the huge detectors of the machine, a vast magnet that weighs 12,500 tons, measuring around 21 metres in length and 15 metres wide/high.

tr4nce
September 22nd, 2008, 12:55 AM
God dammit hackers, now blame linux ffs.

smartboyathome
September 22nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
Wow, if that is true then we should hope that no kid knows how to hack it and sees this article. If so, this article might cause them to try to hack Halo.

mike1234
September 22nd, 2008, 12:59 AM
Why would they want that "monstrosity" networked to the outside world? This sounds like one of those bad science fiction movies. Can you imagine the Manhattan project being on the Internet? That's also why I remove Telnet from synaptic.

M.

Lord Xeb
September 22nd, 2008, 12:59 AM
Xd

Pogeymanz
September 22nd, 2008, 03:18 AM
It is networked on the web because a lot of the scientists that work for CERN don't stay there all the time. My boss is there right now, but lives in Florida. I assure you that he works while he is in Florida.

days_of_ruin
September 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
http://whatiswrongwiththeworldtoday.com/science/hackers-attack-large-hadron-collider

This was taken from the forth paragraph:

Scientists working at Cern (http://www.cern.ch/), the organisation that runs the vast smasher, were worried about what the hackers could do because they were “one step away” from the computer control system of one of the huge detectors of the machine, a vast magnet that weighs 12,500 tons, measuring around 21 metres in length and 15 metres wide/high.

Better luck next time hacker, it would be hilarious if you crap the LHC.:lolflag:

zmjjmz
September 22nd, 2008, 03:46 AM
Old news is old.
Anyways, hackers isn't the right term. Crackers are more like it.

Satanis
September 22nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be all that worried if "Hackers" hacked it. It's not like they could destroy the earth. And really anyone who thinks it could is very misguided. ;)

MaxIBoy
September 22nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
Why would they connect this equipment to the Internet? The inventors of the Worldwide Web should know at least the first thing about security.

And for that guy who knows someone who has to access it remotely:
That kind of thing shouldn't be allowed if the equipment is A) that expensive and B) has as many enemies as the LHC has. No matter what the inconvenience, physical access should be required in order to work it. Have interns run downstairs with flash drives if you have to, but don't put it on the Internet.

lisati
September 22nd, 2008, 03:53 AM
Why would they connect this equipment to the Internet? The inventors of the Worldwide Web should know at least the first thing about security.
Ssssh!!! Don't tell anyone! How do you think I learned enough to make the tame black hole I use as a filing system?

Bios Element
September 22nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Not only is this old news, But from what i read they hacked into one of thousands of systems used for processing huge amounts of data. Not only that, But it 'Was Not' connected to the actual control systems.

Where Else
September 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
This explains why the Library of Congress uses Solaris and not Linux.

eentonig
September 22nd, 2008, 06:33 AM

And for that guy who knows someone who has to access it remotely:
That kind of thing shouldn't be allowed if the equipment is A) that expensive and B) has as many enemies as the LHC has. No matter what the inconvenience, physical access should be required in order to work it. Have interns run downstairs with flash drives if you have to, but don't put it on the Internet.

That would throw a lot of companies back into the stone age, following that line of thought. There's no problem whatsoever to connect to the internet. They should just be smart enough to seperate their public services (website, mailserver, ....) from their internal tools, since you everybody knows that once your name gets a lot of attention, the kids will try to hack your servers. And remote working should be well protected via a decent vpn solution.

mike1234
September 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
This explains why the Library of Congress uses Solaris and not Linux.

How is Solaris any more secure than Linux? I just wouldn't trust Windows BSOD with being secure or reliable. Not to mention some password cracking programs that exist today. If someone can break into my system in mere seconds or even minutes. We're all kinda screwed. Or am being overly paranoid?

M.

mips
September 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Why would they connect this equipment to the Internet?

It's called scientific collaboration.

mister_pink
September 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM

I'll echo what everyone else said - its perfectly possible to keep a computer safe on the internet, you just need a good security solution.

The reason its on the internet at all is because it needs vast amounts of distributed computing power to process the tons of data it produces.

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
That thing is hooked to the internet?

There is only one thing I can say about that: IDIOTS!

mips
September 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
That thing is hooked to the internet?

There is only one thing I can say about that: IDIOTS!

I think people are going overboard here. Cern has more than one network if I can put it that way.

The web server that was hacked sits in a DMZ separated from the normal network.

The setup would be something like this:

Internet->Router->Firewall->DMZ->Router->Firewall->Followed by different lans.

The different LANs will probably be separated into normal office related stuff & process control stuff(LHC) and I probably missed out on some additional firewalls as well.

So it's not like any script kiddies are going to get their grubs on the LHC.

Pogeymanz
September 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
+1 to mips.

If you read the whole article, you would see that it was just a stupid webpage that they "hacked." One of the scientists even says it was "no big deal" half way through the article.

The mission-critical controls are on a local network and not accessible except from within CERN. However, the data and some powerful computers are accessible via the web so that scientists can work from around the world.

You have to understand also, that whoever is in charge of the website probably is also in charge of more important things too. I don't think they give a crap that their website was hacked...

smoker
September 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
hmm, looking forward to downloading my 'cracked' iso of the 'dummy's guide to black-hole creation' from the pirate bay!

now, all i need's a halo :-)

Lord Xeb
September 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
The LHC produces 15000 GB of data O_O so it needs all those computers to process all of that info.