PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Unable to boot off Live Install CD

Yumpin_Yimminie
September 22nd, 2008, 12:29 AM
I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 with Windows XP. I just recently finished reinstalling the Windows XP operating system. When I reinstalled the XP system I partitioned the hard drive. With about 15 GB for Windows XP. Have another partition set up with 45 GB that is NTFS that will be used for data. Then I have another partition that hasn't been formatted that I planned to use for installing Ubuntu on.

I copied the Ubuntu off the web and burned an ISO image on a disc. It works. At least it works with no problem on my HP laptop which is fading fast. However when I put that Live Image Ubuntu CD into my Dell desktop it won't do it's job .... so to speak. I'll get the screen about 'which language'. Then I will select English and it will give me the next screen which includes options like Installing Ubuntu without changing the machine, check disk, check memory, etc. I'll select any of the options and the CD light will go off and the light for the hard drive comes on, and stays on. Periodically the CD light will flash once the hard drive stays on.

I'm not an Ubuntu guru. I installed Ubuntu on my HP laptop but then had to peel it off because I didn't have the time to be able to convert to the experimentation of a dual boot system. So my exposure to Ubuntu is very limited. Now the laptop is almost dead, (catastrophic keyboard failure) so I really can't use both computers simulataneously to try to work out a solution.

When I am in Windows XP on the Dell and put in the Live Ubuntu CD it will start up. Ask if I want to install within Windows XP. It just won't let me install from a cold boot. I am totally perplexed.

You help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

pieoncar
September 22nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
I had a similar problem when I was installing - I wasted a couple days of work and about 6 CDs before I figured out that I was burning and reading from a "sketchy" CD drive. I ended up burning the minimal CD (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD) because it is less than 10 MB. Luckily I was able to get a clean burn and a clean read from it.

The minimal CD will download almost all its packages from the Ubuntu servers, so that might not be a good option if you have a poor network connection, or it's highly throttled, etc.

It sounds like you're having a problem with the CD more than a hardware issue to me, at least.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 22nd, 2008, 12:59 AM
I figured out that I was burning and reading from a "sketchy" CD drive.

Yeah, if the "check disk" option does not work, I'd say it's a cd problem.

jemate18
September 22nd, 2008, 01:12 AM
I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 with Windows XP. I just recently finished reinstalling the Windows XP operating system. When I reinstalled the XP system I partitioned the hard drive. With about 15 GB for Windows XP. Have another partition set up with 45 GB that is NTFS that will be used for data. Then I have another partition that hasn't been formatted that I planned to use for installing Ubuntu on.

I copied the Ubuntu off the web and burned an ISO image on a disc. It works. At least it works with no problem on my HP laptop which is fading fast. However when I put that Live Image Ubuntu CD into my Dell desktop it won't do it's job .... so to speak. I'll get the screen about 'which language'. Then I will select English and it will give me the next screen which includes options like Installing Ubuntu without changing the machine, check disk, check memory, etc. I'll select any of the options and the CD light will go off and the light for the hard drive comes on, and stays on. Periodically the CD light will flash once the hard drive stays on.

I'm not an Ubuntu guru. I installed Ubuntu on my HP laptop but then had to peel it off because I didn't have the time to be able to convert to the experimentation of a dual boot system. So my exposure to Ubuntu is very limited. Now the laptop is almost dead, (catastrophic keyboard failure) so I really can't use both computers simulataneously to try to work out a solution.

When I am in Windows XP on the Dell and put in the Live Ubuntu CD it will start up. Ask if I want to install within Windows XP. It just won't let me install from a cold boot. I am totally perplexed.

You help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

Yes upon checking CD for errors and found it (errors). Problem is the d.

Download from other mirror and BURN in slower speed

Yumpin_Yimminie
September 22nd, 2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks everyone. It was a CD drive that had gone bad.

Have a Great Day,
Jim