PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardware Harvesting With Linux (Ubuntu)

timjm25
September 22nd, 2008, 12:26 AM
Dear Forum Colleagues:

I have been reading a lot about Vista and it seems that the program harvests hardware parameters (Mac Address etc.) like crazy. I am not a huge proponent of privacy, but this seemed crazy to me. I am thus going to make the plunge into Linux.

I was wondering though, is Linux free of hardware parameter harvesting?

Thanks.

virtuallinux
September 22nd, 2008, 12:34 AM
Well, if by parameter harvesting you mean gathering details about your computer and sending them back to Microsoft or someone else, I don't think so. Keep in mind though, the operating system has to know the details about your hardware to be able to communicate with it correctly. But I don't think that Ubuntu is in the business of collecting information on everyone's computer.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 22nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
I was wondering though, is Linux free of hardware parameter harvesting?

Yes it is, far greater concern about these questions in the linux world. Some (most ?) of us would switch distro if ubuntu started doing things like this without our approval.

jimmy the saint
September 22nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
Here Here Yannick!! One of the fundamental philosophies of linux (and open source in general) is user choice and control. If Canonical decided to make Ubuntu an distro that was little more than a vehicle for DRM and proprietary spyware like MS does with its OS, it would soon find itself obselete. *nix users would move on because we have options!

timjm25
September 22nd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Thank you all.

I think I have finally found home, at least in an operating system.

perlluver
September 22nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
Thank you all.

I think I have finally found home, at least in an operating system.

Welcome, enjoy your stay, and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need help.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 22nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
*nix users would move on because we have options!

Hi Jimmy, that's one of the main reason I like linux so much and cannot stand proprietary software.

We just have to be careful about the path ubuntu follows so that if/when it changes direction -> back to debian sid :)

Linux rocks :guitar: