PDA

View Full Version : Looking for GIMP filter to give artistic look

kung fu buntu
September 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM
I have a real world picture and would like to give it an artistic look.
It's a picture of myself and the idea would be to change in it a way that my identity is preserved (aka people can't recognize me) but I still look human (aka not a big blur).

I have seen some images that seem to have been sketched up, but I haven't found anything for that in GIMP.
I have played with all the filters in the artistic menu and several others as well... but nothing did really please me.

Another question is, how do I add third party filters?
I have found this script http://registry.gimp.org/node/5921
But where the heck do I add/import the scm file?

Thank you.

Half-Left
September 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
Looks for "gimp-plugin-registry" it's in the repos and gives all sorts of great plugins/Filters, including the ones like Photoshop.

kung fu buntu
September 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Looks for "gimp-plugin-registry" it's in the repos and gives all sorts of great plugins/Filters, including the ones like Photoshop.
I'm on Debian but I already have that package installed... And nothing special about it :(

The thing is that:
1) I didn't found anything apparently usefull on the gimp registry (aside from the one I posted the URL)
2) I still don't know how to add the scm script file

EDIT
2) to install the script just copy it to .gimp-2.4/scripts/

Half-Left
September 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
It's not a case of finding one filter that does it all, you have to mix them to gain your desired effect. Sometimes it can take hours to get the effect your looking for.

If you want to quick effect like that, try Colours--->Threshold

kung fu buntu
September 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
It's not a case of finding one filter that does it all, you have to mix them to gain your desired effect. Sometimes it can take hours to get the effect your looking for.
That kind of sucks :(

FWIW, I found a nice package of scripts:
http://gimpfx-foundry.sourceforge.net/

I solved my "problem" with the sepoina script ^_^

BTW, I really sucks for scripts not showing a preview image. It's annoying having to open the same script over and over again... :(
(yes, I know, pressing ctrl+shift+f helps)