PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Arch Linux or Ubuntu?

gjoellee
September 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM
I am wondering what is the best of Arch Linux and Ubuntu and why.

clanky
September 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
How can you say that any OS or one distro is better than another, it is all about what suits your needs.

For me at the moment Fedora is the distro which best suits my needs, but I think there will come a point when Arch is what I want, but that will not be the same for everyone.

Some people view Ubuntu as a "beginners'" distro, but for some it is what is best for them, some people hate windows, but for some it is what works, none of them are necessarily better or worse than any other, but some will suit some people more than others.

You need to try both and then decide which one best suits your needs / likes.

1/0
September 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM
This might be a flame war... I'd go for Arch if you need speed and want to configure more. Ubuntu if you want the Windows version of GNU/Linux, i.e. easy to use.

Ub1476
September 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM
In Arch Linux you setup Gnu/Linux yourself and you get up-to-date packages. The system is also faster. In Ubuntu stuff works out of the box and you get new packages every 6 month. It runs fast, but it's not the fastest.

If you have some time on your hand, I suggest you try Arch Linux and read the Beginners wiki.

gn2
September 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Which is best, oranges or pomegranates?

Depends what you want from a distro which suits better.

There is no "best" distro, just the one that best suits a user's needs.

GreyShadow
September 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM
I like to idea of Arch and it seems to be really fast and up to date. But I am having a real hard time with the networking aspect of it. Puppy Linux is so easy to set up I usually use that on my computers. I guess I get too frustrated on configuration.:( So go with what works!

angryfirelord
September 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
If you're new to Arch, the wiki is a wonderful resource of information: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page

They also have a beginner's guide: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

However, to answer your question, there is no "better" distro. It all is dependent on what you're looking in an operating system. If you want to build your OS from the ground up and have extensive control on what get installed on your system, Arch fits that field. If you want a distro that orientates itself to desktop work and ease-of-use, Ubuntu fills that area.

Sealbhach
September 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Is Arch quicker than Xubuntu?

That was quite zippy when I tried it out.

1/0
September 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM

Arch with Fluxbox was faster for me. Xubuntu is compiled for i586 where Arch is compiled for i686. On the other hand, I did a lot of tweaks, such as prelinking.

cardinals_fan
September 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM

Xubuntu is about as slow as an Xfce distro can be.

SomeGuyDude
September 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM
Arch is very fast, completely customizeable, and light as can be. However, be prepared to spend quite a lot of time setting it up, and have an ethernet cord handy because it can be a huge PITA to get wireless rolling.

Ubuntu is drop dead easy on most machines, once it's installed chances are it'll be almost set, and comes with almost everything you'd need. However, it's slower that Arch, comes with a lot of stuff you definitely won't need, and is more resource intensive.

I stick with Ubuntu for convenience, but if I really wanted to buckle down and work, Arch is just a great OS for those types.

Tom--d
September 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Arch Linux: Fast, configure till your heart content! But be prepared to spend some time setting it up. But onced you've configured everything its stable as a rock! Just run 'pacman -Syu' everyday and you will have an up to date machine.

Ubuntu: Fast, but not as fast as Arch (well, All depends what you have running). Very very easy to get working. Its just put the disk in. Away you go!

I've just recently switched to Arch from Ubuntu because I wanted up to date software ;)

Dr Small
September 21st, 2008, 11:26 PM
+1 for Arch. It's the fastest distro I have ever used!

binbash
September 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
I agree most parts.Ubuntu is the easiest distro to set up.YOu got decent speed.You got everything working pretty easy.I never get a problem on my linux boxes, i only need to edit my alsa settings to get the sound working.

I got also archlinux on one of my partitons.I always got free space so i like playing with distros.It is faster then archlinux but of course gentoo is faster then archlinux : )

Artificial Intelligence
September 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
By uninstalling and disable stuff in Ubuntu that you don't need, Ubuntu can be quiet fast as well - Or do a minimal installation of ubuntu and install the stuff you only need like core of gnome etc. and still have the ease of Ubuntu.

gjoellee
September 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Xubuntu is about as slow as an Xfce distro can be.
I agree there. I find Ubuntu faster then Xubuntu actually