PDA

View Full Version : Searching text by regexp (not Grep!)

speedsix
September 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM
I want a command line tool that can search some text (file or piped input) using regular expressions AND that can return only the part of the expression I specify, any ideas?

Grep searches line by line and afaik can't return only parts of a regular expressions.

Sed is purely for editing text is it not?

Thanks

speedsix
September 22nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Anyone? :KS

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
Hi speedsix,

I usually use perl or sed for that.

There is egrep too (to some extent).

They all do different things, perl being the heavier but more powerful solution.

Example using sed :

cat file | sed '/reg.*exp/!d; s/^.*\(reg.*exp\).*$/\1/'

Of course, you will have to learn using sed for yourself, get some documentation on the web. Perl is another thing, you cannot use it if you don't spend (much?) time learning the language.

Just my .02$

koenn
September 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
I want a command line tool that can search some text (file or piped input) using regular expressions AND that can return only the part of the expression I specify, any ideas?
Thanks

"return only the part of the expression I specify" doesn't seem to make sense. If you only want a partial match of your regexp, your regexp is too wide and you should narrow it down, no ? Or am i missing something ?

other than that, grep is exactly what you want. If I'm not mistaking, ' grep -e ' allows extended regexp syntax, allowing matchas on start and end of word etc, if that's what you"re after.

As for piping and searching file, grep will do all that. It will read any text you feed it, ether from a pipe, a file, or all files in a given directory

spupy
September 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
Try this command:

man grep

In particular:

-E, --extended-regexp
Interpret PATTERN as an extended regular expression (see below).

-e PATTERN, --regexp=PATTERN
Use PATTERN as the pattern; useful to protect patterns beginning
with -.

-o, --only-matching
Show only the part of a matching line that matches PATTERN.

Your grep-fu is not strong enough!

speedsix
December 13th, 2008, 10:37 PM
But the pattern is sometimes the minimum required to match the line I want but more than I actually want to show, if that makes sense.

For example if I want to grep just the temperature reading (i.e 35c) for 'temp2' from the sensors output

chipset sensor blah01
temp 1 45c
temp 2 35c (max 70c)

Grepping temp2 will give me the correct line but I only want the 35c bit. Returning only the pattern will still give me the temp2 at the start of the line.

koenn
December 13th, 2008, 10:56 PM
wow, 3 months later and you're still worrying about this ? :)

with your example in a file 't' :

:~$ grep 'temp 2' t |grep -o "[0-9]*c "
35c

the first grep selects the line with temp 2; the second grep selects the 35c-part from that line

in this case, where the output is formatted in fields and delimiters, you can also use cut

grep 'temp 2' t | cut -d' ' -f3 -

i.e. return the 3rd field (using space ' ' as delimiter)