PDA

View Full Version : Arch in a virual machine

SunnyRabbiera
September 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM
I am just wondering if anyone has experience with running arch in a virtual machine, and how well it works.

Rumor
September 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I don't have experience doing it myself. I have seen posts in the Arch user forums from folks who have done so. Some have encountered problems and others say it works fine without any issues.

Barrucadu
September 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
I ran CRUX in Qemu for a few hours, but couldn't figure out how to share the internet connection so I stopped. Apart from that, it was fine.

Rumor
September 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
This is being posted from Arch running in VirtualBox on my Windows computer at the office. the install was straightforward. VirtualBox has an option for creating an Arch Linux box, which is what I chose during the creation process.

DrOlaf
September 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I tried Arch in a VirtualBox on my Ubuntu Gutsy (at the time) laptop. It worked so well that I ditched the VirtualBox, and Gutsy, and now the lappy runs Arch full-time. I should complete the circle and put Ubuntu in a VirtualBox on it now.

wolfvorkian1
September 23rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
I could never get Arch to run at all within either Vmware or Virtualbox installed on a Debian distribution. In fact I had a difficult time getting Arch to run at all with the old stock onboard video card in it's own partion on the hard drive. Xorg would crash terrible each time after I loaded a half-dozen or so programs.

I finally installed an old Nvdia card the kid had thrown into the junk pile and Arch runs magnificentally with it. i'll probably never change distributions.

The point of my post is that whether it will or not may be hardware dependent. It certainly seemed to be that with me. Try it, doesn't take all that long to install a virtual package and Arch takes no time once you've done it a few times.

smartboyathome
September 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I tried on Vista to get Arch installed in Virtualbox (my sis needs her games, and it would be easiest to do this), but it didn't work past the command line. X would always start in 1600x1200. I couldn't use seamless or fullscreen desktop. So I'm afraid I am forced to use Vista and XP (XP on my school's laptop) until I get a new comp. :(

drudogg
September 25th, 2008, 02:53 AM
give faunOS a try. it is arch based, and runs from a flashdrive. download teh .iso for a dvd from one of the mirrors (i had an issue with the download finishing from the FaunOS server) and boot it. it runs live, if you like it run Gparted on teh flashdrive of your choice, and partition it as ext2, then run the installer on it straight from the desktop. voila! new computer on a flash drive. just make sure you save changes when you shutdown. the good thing is if you really foul tings up, you don't have to save changes and you are right back where you were before last session.