PDA

View Full Version : Are you a otaku?

modmadmike
September 21st, 2008, 06:47 AM
Are you an otaku AKA: someone who ether reads japanese manga/watches anime. I posted this because i noticed a lot of people with pictures of anime characters for the profile (including mine which is Souske Sagera from FMP).

Gutt
September 21st, 2008, 03:29 PM
I have my otaku periods sometimes yep :P ..

NovaAesa
September 21st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Nope, I don't watch anime all that often. The most recent anime that I saw was Interstella 5555 (about 3 months ago).

Northsider
September 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
I guess, I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with anime though. I'm actually pretty picky with my anime and a lot of them I find pretty bad. The ones I like are Akira, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Blood+, and Studio Ghibli.

wishyjr
September 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
yes. yes i am.

by the way, shouldn't the question read "are you an otaku?"

sorry, a bit anal but there you go.

Sealbhach
September 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM
No, I don't really like it.

The only Japanese animation I like is Studio Ghibli - Hayao Miyazakhi.

5m0k3
September 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
No.

Chame_Wizard
September 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
C_W is proud otaku since 1997.:guitar:

modmadmike
September 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
yes. yes i am.

by the way, shouldn't the question read "are you an otaku?"

sorry, a bit anal but there you go.

thats what i originally posted but i thought it was wrong lol

Sinkingships7
September 22nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
'an' should precede any word that starts with a vowel.

"a apple" == incorrect, because apple starts with an 'A', which is a vowel.

"an apple" == correct.

Just for future reference. Also, I suppose I'm an otaku.

Lostincyberspace
September 22nd, 2008, 04:18 AM
Are you an otaku AKA: someone who ether reads japanese manga/watches anime. I posted this because i noticed a lot of people with pictures of anime characters for the profile (including mine which is Souske Sagera from FMP).

You definition is a little off.

From Wikipedia:

Otaku (おたく or オタク, Otaku?) is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, and video games.
Or in other words some one who is an addicted to gaming and only stops to get their manga fix.

But it can be applied to any one who obsesses.

Ie. I obsess over open source code, therefor I am over open source otaku. I also obsess over Tokutasu therefor I am tokutasu otaku.

zmjjmz
September 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
In the internet definition of the term, I kind of am.
Less so than, say, a year ago, when all I did was read manga. 2 years ago I watched anime too, but the last anime I religiously watched was Jungle wa Hale nochi Guu, which I finished in June of last year.
I kind of gave up on reading Naruto and Bleach over the summer, it just wasn't worth it. I still read Full Metal Alchemist, because it's such an awesome manga.

UrbanSlayer
September 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Yes, I am. Dont read a huge amount of Manga (Claymore, Kare Kano, DearS etc) but watch a fair bit of anime. Unfortunately there is a lot of average/poor anime out there atm.

Greyed
September 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
No.....

*eyes avatar*

....why do you ask?

Presto123
September 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Yup...I am.

I have a long list of anime to watch and many folders/full series.

Sugz
September 22nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
nope, life's too short for anime

Presto123
September 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
nope, life's too short for anime

Pshhh...it's just long enough to watch just over 1 million episodes...depending on your life. I assume I'll live to about 78, so...1 million episodes, give or take. :P

Skorzen
September 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Proudly, no. :-)

SomeGuyDude
September 24th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty sure "otaku" is more than just "watches anime". I mean, I think of anime as any other entertainment: some good, some bad. I'm no more "otaku" than owning a few rap CDs would make me a "wigger".

killernat
September 24th, 2008, 02:30 AM
i am an otoku in bouth english sence and japanese translation
english = anime manga lover
japanese nerd/ geek /lifeless nerd
and proud of it:popcorn:

doas777
September 24th, 2008, 02:35 AM

I've always taken otaku as a more general purpose word for geek (or more specifically a shut-in, someone who doesn't leave home much. anyone who will call off their job to play the new videogame).

I do rather like anime, so i guess i fit both definitions.

have fun,
franklin

1cewolf
September 24th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I do enjoy anime and manga quite a bit, but I wouldn't quite call myself otaku. After spending several years at college with some real otaku, I know pretty well where the line is drawn :)

Sand & Mercury
September 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I used to like watching anime until I began to delve deeper into the whole subculture and started getting increasingly freaked out and disgusted with the attitude and behavior of a lot of these people. Frankly the whole experience made me sick and I've not approached anything manga/anime/otakuish since.

spupy
September 24th, 2008, 11:13 PM
At one moment I realized I might be transforming into an otaku/weeabo:
1) I watch anime (but only more wide known series)
2) One of my favourite TV series is anime (Evangelion)
3) I am learning Japanese
4) I like japanese stuff (aesthetics)

I don't think I'm an otaku, but, man, that one time I was really close to becomming one...

Also, only one more of my friends watches animu, so I'm safe. :)

danbuter
September 25th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I watch some anime, but I'm very picky about it. Cowboy Bebop is still one of the greatest shows ever, no matter what format.

Greyed
September 25th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I used to like watching anime until I began to delve deeper into the whole subculture and started getting increasingly freaked out and disgusted with the attitude and behavior of a lot of these people. Frankly the whole experience made me sick and I've not approached anything manga/anime/otakuish since.

Yes, because the medium forces people into certain behaviors. Glad to see that myth is alive and well in some people's misguided views.