PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Big news to me!!

cartisdm
September 21st, 2008, 05:45 AM
Fellow Ubuntu-ors,

I have been in love with you since I discovered your book on the floor of the nerd aisle in Barnes and Noble. Best $26 I have ever spent. I started with the brand new release of 7.04 and people, of course, complained of bugs all over the place. Luckily, I had a smooth install with only one minor hickup in the beginning (ATI video driver, had to do text installer then update before I saw any GUI....yeah risky for a newbie).

Things ran great for me and my laptop until good ol' Hardy Heron decided he was too good for my 3945 wireless card. Of course, I still LOVED 8.04, but I was forced to have an ugly Linksys USB wireless dongle hang out the side of my laptop. The thing is huge, so trust me..it was a big deal. I checked every thread, forum, post I could find and everyone had the same problem.

That was until 10 minutes ago I decided to take my 3945 wireless card off my blacklist (etc/modprobe.d/blacklist) for the heck of it. Upon reboot....INTERNET AGAIN!!! YAY

Long story short, I had no idea an update was finally available. I'm so happy again. (Mods, please move this post to the appropriate location. I just want others like me to know they can go back to their old ways).

nhasian
September 21st, 2008, 05:56 AM
actually i've been looking for a good ubuntu linux book. i'd like to know more about what different folders like /etc/init.d or /var/log are used for as well as how command line tools got there names like sudo or grep. I think its easier to remember a command if you knew what it stands for...

cartisdm
September 21st, 2008, 05:59 AM
actually i've been looking for a good ubuntu linux book. i'd like to know more about what different folders like /etc/init.d or /var/log are used for as well as how command line tools got there names like sudo or grep. I think its easier to remember a command if you knew what it stands for...

I can't remember quite how detailed mine was but it was brightly colored, talked highly about the simplicity to use and understand Ubuntu, and came with a CD. Couldn't pass it up, glad I didn't.

Vivaldi Gloria
September 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
i'd like to know more about what different folders like /etc/init.d or /var/log are used for

There are good links in part B in CLI in my sig. Especially see the links in 13 about the filesystem hierarchy there.