PDA

View Full Version : Who has multiple DEs on the same computer?

MaxIBoy
September 21st, 2008, 05:27 AM
On my laptop, I have GNOME plus LXDE. I just stick with GNOME these days since I got my desktop working again, but in the past I used LXDE often because GNOME tended to crash on games. Later I figured out that Compiz was the source of the problem.

On my desktop, I have GNOME, Xfce, Fluxbox, and KDE. I got Xfce for the same reason I put LXDE on my laptop, again before I figured out that turning off Compiz fixed the problems. I now use the Xfce window manager under GNOME when I want to do some gaming (using the fusion-icon.) I got Fluxbox because I wanted to investigate the possibility of creating a desktop environment based on it (I still haven't ruled it out, I've got a lot of cool ideas, but I'm too busy these days.) I got KDE because I was tired of installing all kinds of Qt packages separately and I wanted to just install them all at once.

Giant Speck
September 21st, 2008, 05:52 AM
My primary DE is KDE 3.5.10 , which I use about 99% of the time.

I also have GNOME and KDE 4.1, which I update regularly. I keep them, just in case I decide to make the switch.

aysiu
September 21st, 2008, 06:02 AM
I used to keep switching desktop environments.

After a while, I gave them up altogether. Now I just use IceWM.

ronnielsen1
September 21st, 2008, 06:06 AM
Ubuntu - Gnome, Kde, Lxde - (Lxde will take over - watch and see)
Mepis - Kde
PCLinux - Kde - because it's my sons favorite
Windows XP- Windows XP window manager - really new one here - been forever since I tried it - figured I'd see if it got better - it didn't - never been so bored installing a "distro" in my life. I couldn't do anything but watch it format for 2 hours and now I need to hunt up a driver for the dsl modem - wasn't recognized - no really - oh well - like windows belongs on the net anyway

RiceMonster
September 21st, 2008, 06:08 AM
I have Xfce and Openbox right now. I use mostly Openbox

clanky
September 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Windows XP

Ubuntu with Gnome

Fedora with KDE

I prefer KDE of the 3, but I have a friend who runs arch with fluxbox, which for me is the way forward I just want to work up the courage to have a go at Arch.

Peter6218
September 21st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Several comps

Primary uses Ubuntu 7.10 and Windows XP

Mostly use Win XP

Others have Feisty and Win 98

One has Feisty and Win XP

Because I'm a Eudora addict Win has to be the real solution. Yeah it sort of worked on Wine but nowhere as nicely as it does on Win.

Ubuntu on the primary gets maybe 20% of the use time, remainder is XP