PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why won't it work?

Iyov
September 21st, 2008, 05:18 AM
Please Help,
I have been trying for over two days to download the "version8.04 LTS" software and install it on old pc that I have. I am downloading using my laptop, and burning the iso with InfraRecorder. I have set the bios to boot from cd on my older machine. When I install the newly created cd, it always say "DISK BOOT FAILUR, INSERT SYSTEM BOOT DISK AND PRESS ENTER" Any Ideas, I am at the end of my rope!

mcallenSchmee
September 21st, 2008, 06:24 AM
Make sure the cd drive works and make sure the cd works by testing it in another computer. Once you have run the live cd and used the installer on the cd, make sure you set your bios to boot from the hard drive again.

cariboo
September 21st, 2008, 06:25 AM
Are you burning the disk as a data disk or as an iso image. I use ImageBurn in windows, it is a free, open source program that only burns iso images.

Jim

Vivaldi Gloria
September 21st, 2008, 03:18 PM
http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/Infra_Recorder

Iyov
September 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
The drives work, The cd is an ISO Image 694 mb and 7zip verified that it was ok against the "archive". Still wil not boot the other computer. Windows installer still tries to "restore windows" from HDD boot. I don't want windows os anymore on that desktop. Did I miss a step? Was I supposed the reformat the hard drive before I installed the live cd?

Iyov
September 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Well, It seems that I was using infrarecorder incorrectly...note to self, don't "click and drag"!
Thanks everyone, it is working now...