PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu with Fujitsu MHY2160BH

Jackhowitzer
September 21st, 2008, 01:39 AM
The last time I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, the hard drive killing bug ate up all my load cycles and killed my HDD. This was before I read about the fixes for it. I recently reinstalled with Hardy, and tried to do the fix. My drive was still clicking a lot and it didn't seem like it worked. My drive doesn't display the load cycle count when I do smartctl on it, but I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with the same HDD model and whether or not you can get it fixed with Ubuntu. Thanks.

IntuitiveNipple
September 21st, 2008, 03:09 AM
Possibly not a great help but with Gutsy and Hardy on a Sony Vaio with a FUJITSU MHV2200BT I've never seen any problems.

mugwhy
September 23rd, 2008, 05:23 AM
The last time I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, the hard drive killing bug ate up all my load cycles and killed my HDD. This was before I read about the fixes for it. I recently reinstalled with Hardy, and tried to do the fix. My drive was still clicking a lot and it didn't seem like it worked. My drive doesn't display the load cycle count when I do smartctl on it, but I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with the same HDD model and whether or not you can get it fixed with Ubuntu. Thanks.

I have the an SATA FUJITSU MHV2120AH laptop drive and none of the "hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda" tricks work for my drive. I have been playing with the suggestions on the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerManagement page. I get several long runs, maybe five minutes with no clicking, but now it appears like the drive spins down too. When I fire up any app you can hear the drive spin up. So, clicking is reduced, but the response time of the drive is adversely affected.