View Full Version : [other] need help bringing back laptop from death

September 21st, 2008, 01:16 AM

I have a laptop which has come from a friend of a friend of a friend . Every one has tried to fix it , well im next down the line. I know it not really ubuntu related at all however as rule i always manage to solve my computer problems here so thought maby you could help.

Not sure how the laptop top broke , but its a SAMSUNG P28
. The problem is that it turns on fine no funny noises , but the big but is thats the screen does not turn on.

The owner tried a computer repair shop and they put it down to mother board failure , which i don't understand as it starts but im not a computer Einstein. They asked for a ridiculous price to repair it around 600 euros which was about the price of the laptop and unfortunately the warren-tie? has gone past its date.

Many thanks as usual and look forward to your humble opinions :)

September 21st, 2008, 01:29 AM
From the photo's I notice it has a rear VGA port. Have you connected a monitor to that in case it is being polite and outputting video to all connections until the OS starts?

With a monitor hooked up try booting a Live CD and even pressing the correct keys blind to get Ubuntu starting... it might then start using the external VGA port.

It also seems to have an external serial port. You could hook up a serial console link to it and create a boot CD with the kernel command-line including serial console output - just to get some clues.