PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Repo question

TechDragon
September 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Ubuntu's repos seem to lag behind the current software sometimes by quite a bit. Suse has "Packman" and Fedora has "Livna" does ubuntu have a repo that is more current?

I dont mind living on the edge a little. :)

halitech
September 20th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Ubuntu only has the repos you see currently. If you want something a little more current and "bleeding edge" try one of the distros you mentioned or if you would rather stay within the same family, do an install of Debian testing as it is, from my understanding, more of a rolling update then the scheduled update system like in Ubuntu.

dje
September 20th, 2008, 11:34 PM
you could try System >> Administration >> Software sources and in the Updates tab check both the proposed and unsupported updates

hope it helps
dje

mc4100
September 20th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Ubuntu's repos seem to lag behind the current software sometimes by quite a bit. Suse has "Packman" and Fedora has "Livna" does ubuntu have a repo that is more current?

I dont mind living on the edge a little. :)

If you want to live on the edge, and feel you know what you are doing, you could upgrade to Intrepid (It's not yet beta, and seems to be having problems with Nvidia graphics, but has newer packages), or try a Disto that continuously updates it's repos.

Sorivenul
September 21st, 2008, 12:04 AM
1.) Are there specific packages you are referring to?
In some cases GetDeb (http://www.getdeb.net/) has more up-to-date software for Ubuntu.

2.) If you want to try more "bleeding edge" software, there is Intrepid as mentioned before, sidux, or on the note of distributions that constantly update their repositories (AKA rolling-release), try Arch.