PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just started tonight

bootneck
September 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Hi All, I have just put my toe into the open source pond tonight, can anyone help me where I obtain the open source software for Ubuntu, eg registry cleaner, and general cleaning tools.:lolflag:

mc4100
September 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Ubuntu has no registry: no cleaner needed. Also, Software installation (http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/switching/applications-installing.html) is completely different, and Applications are generally much more well behaved: when you remove them, they only leave a hidden folder in your "home" directory, in-case you re-install.

Mornedhel
September 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM
No need for cleaning tools in general.

You'll find two things are very different from Windows :

1. Plenty of applications and tools (and I mean *plenty*) are installed by default.
2. You should not install programs you get from the Internet. Not (only) for security reasons, but because they are available through another method which takes care of downloading, installing and setting up everything for you. Take a look at Synaptic, available from System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. When you need something that's not installed by default, say Quod Libet (a music player), you search for its name, mark it to be installed, and apply. Libraries and everything are managed for you.

mick222
September 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM
there is no registry in linux no need to defrag or use anti virus , although clamav anti virus is in the repositories if you want it .
install ubuntu restricted extras and check out the sticky in the multimedia section to get java flash dvd playback etc these are not include by default for legal reasons . Linux is not windows but it is very good and a bit of learning is needed.

bobnutfield
September 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
There is probably all of the software you could possibly want in the Repos. You question suggests that you will need to change your thinking when using Linux and Ubuntu. Linux does not have a "registry" like Windows. You would to well to study the file structure in Linux. It will help you understand the entire system better. But, in any case, try to wipe your mind of Windows style approach to Linux because they are completely different. If you approach Linux with a Windows mind-set, you may well become frustrated because "it isn't like Windows."

bootneck
September 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks all it seems that I need to retrain my mind, a bit of a struggle for an old gimmer who has only used MS from 98 to Vista, so it may take a little time to get to grips with this, but interesting all the same. By the way how do you find the spell checker this shows what you have mis-spelt but not how to correct the error, I am dyslectic taken me five minuits to find that in the dictionary, as I cannot find that in the toolbar. But once thanks for the help.

Iowan
September 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM
The spell checker will offer up suggestions if you right-click the offending word.

mc4100
September 21st, 2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks all it seems that I need to retrain my mind, a bit of a struggle for an old gimmer who has only used MS from 98 to Vista, so it may take a little time to get to grips with this, but interesting all the same. By the way how do you find the spell checker this shows what you have mis-spelt but not how to correct the error, I am dyslectic taken me five minuits to find that in the dictionary, as I cannot find that in the toolbar. But once thanks for the help.

What application are you using?
The Text Editor, or maybe Firefox Web Browser?

Edit: I, too, couldn't survive without a spell-checker, I'm always writing "Web Broswer"!

bootneck
September 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
:) Thanks everyone for the help you have all been very helpful,:razz: to an old man this is a good and friendly site thanks everyone:lolflag:and I am enjoying the posts.

rudihawk
September 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
Welcome man! Once you get going you'll love it :)

Sealbhach
September 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I started using Linux for the first time in May this year and it's a bit strange at first not using anti-virus software but you get used to it after a while.

It's a friendly forum here so don't be afraid to ask questions.

There's a good page here on the pros and cons of using Linux

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Also a great page of links here with information on Ubuntu:

http://www.stchman.com/

hackerseraph
September 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the new tree house club of Ubuntu/ Linux :D Im most sure you will enjoi it; I most recently just found out I may be somewhat addicted to it lol ^^

clive littlewood
September 21st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hi bootneck

Welcome to our world !!!

You find any answers you need on this fantastic forum so please ask

cl

bootneck
September 21st, 2008, 07:22 PM
:)Thanks for the welcome everyone, I found the spell checker thanks to Iwoan, the most difficult thing I am finding is the new terminology used with Linux had to look up what distros meant, silly things like that.

RequinB4
September 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Welcome to Freedom! :)

In my signature are a few things you may want to sticky and read at your convenience - they aren't exactly for the new user but will become vital if you ever decide to aggressively use ubuntu as in powerusing, high-tech customization, or fixing a problem (that you can post here xD)

As for jargon - I personally think windows jargon and notation is a lot more counter-intuitive. For instance, if you start OpenOffice, you'll find "Page Formatting" is under the *gasp* FORMATTING menu, option PAGE as opposed to word where it's under the "file" menu... Or look at the applications menu - all of the internet applications are in their own menu, etc. Basically, at least we try to make it make sense ;P

MasterNetra
September 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Welcome to our not so little world :) :P Yea as for spell checking its well cover even better then in windows :P

steveneddy
September 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM
check out the links in my sig.

egalvan
September 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks all it seems that I need to retrain my mind, a bit of a struggle for an old gimmer who has only used MS from 98 to Vista, so it may take a little time to get to grips with this, but interesting all the same.

Sorry, but you're a young whipper-snapper...
For instance, I started with computers back in 1969.

and I think (hope) there ere even more mature forum members...

Bucky Ball
September 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Welcome to the new tree house club of Ubuntu/ Linux :D Im most sure you will enjoi it; I most recently just found out I may be somewhat addicted to it lol ^^

Welcome bootneck and as you might notice, I need a drip to get enough Ubuntu!

Crafty Kisses
September 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Don't worry about disk cleaning, you don't have to defrag in Linux, the file system is organized and stored more efficiently than a Windows box. If you really want to then I can suggest you go to something like Google and search "Linux defrag" or something and grab a utility, they do exist, but unnecessary.

MasterNetra
September 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM
check out the links in my sig.

The "How to Install anything in Ubuntu" link is no longer valid. :roll: :grin: Just to let ya know. :grin:

octoberdan
September 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
While just starting out, you may be interested in http://ubuntuclips.org/, a collection of video tutorials for Ubuntu. I have never used it, but it seems fairly helpful. Good luck! :guitar: