PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Monitor Display Options

Keytard
September 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I'm a new Ubuntu user (Hardy Heron 8.04), coming from Vista.

I've got two monitors but I can't get them to do any kind of "extended desktop" like functions. I can get them to display the same thing, but not to be extensions of one desktop.

I've searched the forums and tried a bunch of things (including installing nvidia drivers) but the only result was that desktop effects no longer worked.

Any help would be great, and I'm not super techy so limiting jargon would be appreciated.

howefield
September 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM
have you installed nvidia-settings ?

Makes setting up two monitors a breeze.

In terminal type

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

Once installed, again in terminal type

gksudo nvidia-settings

and configure accordingly. (Extended desktop is twinview)

Keytard
September 20th, 2008, 10:57 PM
That didn't work. It wanted me to do an "x config" so I took a stab at that, but it didn't go well. This is what I ended up with

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/Keytard_photos/Screenshot.png
Where did I go wrong?

Keytard
September 21st, 2008, 01:09 AM
I've done something wrong and completely ****** up.

I tried to install the X-config, and now my computer doesn't know any of my displays. Its treating it like I've got one "unknown" 800x600 display. And when I restart it says something like "graphics not working" and it wants to use "low graphics mode" or something along those lines. Then it asks me what my display is (at this point I don't have any additional monitor hooked up, just my laptop). And so I tell it what my monitor is Acer Aspire 5610 (its listed in the available options) and what my graphics card is (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GMA 950, which seems to be on the list). But it still thinks that I have the 800x600 "unknown" monitor.

It seems that no combination of installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, updating, or restarting my computer has fixed this. I don't know what to do.

overdrank
September 21st, 2008, 01:25 AM
I've done something wrong and completely ****** up.

I tried to install the X-config, and now my computer doesn't know any of my displays. Its treating it like I've got one "unknown" 800x600 display. And when I restart it says something like "graphics not working" and it wants to use "low graphics mode" or something along those lines. Then it asks me what my display is (at this point I don't have any additional monitor hooked up, just my laptop). And so I tell it what my monitor is Acer Aspire 5610 (its listed in the available options) and what my graphics card is (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GMA 950, which seems to be on the list). But it still thinks that I have the 800x600 "unknown" monitor.

It seems that no combination of installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, updating, or restarting my computer has fixed this. I don't know what to do.

Hi and I am a little confused. Why are you installing the nvidia drivers if your graphics card is intel?

Keytard
September 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
Because I have no idea what I'm doing.

rustutzman
September 21st, 2008, 06:07 AM
See if this helps http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174

Russ

Keytard
September 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Success! Thanks for your help!

jimmy the saint
September 22nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
One thing to consider: Are the monitors of equal resolution? If not, you will find yourself with dead space and icons and windows that wind up existing in the ether. One solution for this is to use xubuntu, because Xfce4 does a better job handling dual monitor setups than does Gnome.