PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Ohio LAN Party - anyone interested?

zerhacke
September 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
My wife and I have been talking for some time now and have decided to start a monthly LAN party for Ubuntu users.

We've got tons of space at our house and an extremely fast internet connection. We figure those two things along with my wife's innate ability to host a party very well will make for a fun party.

I'm thinking we'll do some party games, give away some prizes, and have snacks at the ready.

If you guys are interested, I'll post the contact phone number, address, and directions to my house. I am thinking it will be the first Friday of every month starting Oct. 3rd.

Interested?

adcwoef
September 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not living in the US but for interest: What games will you play during the LAN partys?

TheIdiotThatIsMe
September 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
That would most definitely be sweet :KS

zerhacke
September 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
There's plenty of games for Linux, but then again a LAN party doesn't have to be playing games.

Alright TITIM, I take it we can count you in for a session? I looked up Boardman and you're not terribly far from us... about 100 miles I think it was.

zerhacke
September 20th, 2008, 10:00 PM
OK got some statistics for you all.

Where: 319 Wall Ave, Cambridge, OH, 43725

When: First Friday of every month starting at 5PM and going until we've had our fill.

Phone number: 740-255-5191 (I may answer as "Unixwerks". Just ask for Jason)

Cost: Dude, it's a Ubuntu Linux LAN party. It's free just like Ubuntu.

There is a 15Mbps internet connection that can be used for anything non-illegal. We also have B and G wireless available. Wired ethernet is first come first serve and there's not many spots for it. If you can, use the wired ethernet spots just long enough to get wireless working on your box and move off the ethernet.

We'll be providing chips, dips, finger sandwiches, soda, and bottled water. If you want, you may bring alcoholic drink but p[ease keep it to a six pack or equivalent maximum. Please do not bring things to smoke other than tobacco. I *DO* allow people who smoke tobacco products to smoke in my house.

Hope to see you guys there!

TheIdiotThatIsMe
September 22nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Definitely want to go, dont know if I'll make this first one, but sounds like a blast. Dont forget to let me know if you want to use the server for the LAN fun.

zerhacke
September 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Thank you very much, titim. I've obtained transportation for the server. I'll be in the IRC chat later to work out the details with you.

This server will likely be the http server for the LAN party webpage since my ISP allows me to run a server from home.

zerhacke
September 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I've obtained transportation for the server.

OK, strike that. He just had a heart attack. Back to square one on how to get this thing here.

trucker124
October 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM
OK, strike that. He just had a heart attack. Back to square one on how to get this thing here.

Anything I can do to help?

zerhacke
October 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Sorry I was not on here much lately, we had to go to a funeral (not the heart attack grandfather).

I'm working on the server still. I'll have to get ahold of TITIM again.

The LAN party is still on if anyone's interested.

zerhacke
January 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Just revisting this thread in hopes that some of you want to get together for beer, chips, Ubuntu, and 22Mbps LAN fun.

miniweat
January 5th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Party sounds like a hoot but I've been pretty busy lately and need to fix my car. Maybe sometime in the near future I'd be mor than happy to stop by. It'd be a great way to test out my project I am tinkering with. Building myself a frankenmac ubuntu box.

zerhacke
January 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
The response to this idea has been positively underwhelming. You'd think I asked to pull your molars.

miniweat
January 31st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Sorry about that, I would really love to get together but I've been trying to get enough cash together to get my car fixed, driving a loaner from the in laws but I can't exactly use that to go cross state or they would kill me, after tax time I should be all set though.

boof1988
February 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
I'm in Columbus area... And I might be interested. Will have to research what a LAN party is before I commit. And I'll have to ask my gf if I can borrow her laptop since I only have desktops now (gave my lappy to her)... Or maybe lug a desktop along?

lyceum
February 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
I also live in Columbus, that would be a 2 hour drive. I would love to check it out though. How have they been so far? Does it look like there will be one in March?

zerhacke
April 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Just another bump to see if anyone is interested in a LAN/LUG party. I'm still willing if you are!

We have wireless G and spots for desktops.

lyceum
April 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I am in.