PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hello

Nightwind
November 20th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Hi,
I'm a noobie to Linux but not computers so I decided to try it out since I have a few extra computers.
So far so good. I am REALLY impressed so far.
Everyone have a great weekend
T:KS

darkmatter
November 20th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Welcome aboard, Nightwind...

bored2k
November 20th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Hi,
I'm a noobie to Linux but not computers so I decided to try it out since I have a few extra computers.
So far so good. I am REALLY impressed so far.
Everyone have a great weekend
T:KS
So you not being new to computing, tell us, what type are you? the GUI type that wants everything done with a single click even if you learn nothing from it or the CLI type, the type that want to go an extra step and learn what their box is doing underneath the prutty interface :D?

Tip 1: Do not be afraid of the command line terminal. It is your friend and it will be the one helping should your box act funky.

Tip 2: man pages. Don't know how applicationX works? Type man applicationX (change with real application name) from a terminal.

Tip 3: Forums search tool.

Tip 4: Us :D.

Nightwind
December 27th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hi!
Sorry it took so long to reply, I was off on other ventures in the forums.
Well GUI is a useful thing, but as you pointed out you learn nothing, that's why I am here. Hope that I learn here better than I have on my own. CL doesn't scare me. Nothing to loose, everything to gain.
I was an IT admin as well as a computer instructor for the past 2 yrs, self taught. I've been playing with computers since 96, had a 286 box.
Prior to that I was a trucker for 25 yrs. Retired from that full time, make a few trips everynow and then.
I have 8 computers in my little office, different O.S's and types some new some old. A few servers, so lots of toys. My S.O. thinks I am a nut but tollerates it very well. Other than that there is nothing to tell.
Thanks and have a good day!
Trish

Nightwind
December 27th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I promise not to touch the bunny if you don't touch my doggie, Olive. She's my cheering squad.
trish

kenweill
December 27th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the Club.

Nightwind
December 27th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Welcome to the Club.
Thanks Kenweill,

I look at what's inside, out side doesn't matter.
Trish