PDA

View Full Version : Do you like rap?

nkri
September 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm starting this thread because Glucklich and I have been talking about this issue in another thread.

I don't like rap very much, as you can probably see from my signature, but I know plenty of people who do, and have their own opinions about it. This is what I wanna talk about. I think all rap/hip-hop sounds the same and talks about exactly the same stuff: how much "cash" the rapper has or what he did to his "shawty in da club" last night; whether you feel differently or not, I'd like to hear your views and opinions:)

Don't be afraid to speak your mind, but don't forget...the forum rules still apply here.

Thanks!
-nkri

markp1989
September 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I cant stand it, but i know a few people who like it

OutOfReach
September 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Not any more, the rap these days are just horrible.
I still listen to rap pre-2000, those days were good. But I'm starting to open up to other forms of music.

gjoellee
September 20th, 2008, 06:38 PM
If I can choose between music from Xzibit and Mozart i would choose Mozart.

I however listen most to rock:
ex:
Weezer
System of a Down
Slipknot
Fall of Troy
From First to Last
Drowning Pool
Arctic Monkeys
Block Party

Kingsley
September 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I don't like people that make up statistics.

Whiffle
September 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'll listen to just about anything, but I shy away from about 95% of the rap. Most of the lyrics just don't suit me, at all.

earthpigg
September 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM
i disapprove of thug culture, and the glorification of scum and criminals.

other than that, im a flamingly liberal dude.

gn2
September 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
There's very little of it that I like, maybe ten tracks tops.

The rest is missing a c.

aysiu
September 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I didn't like rap until I went to college (that's American for university). One of my hallmates introduced me to the Fugees' "Vocab (the Remix)," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PONHqZ5FOYA) and I was hooked.

Some of my favorite rap songs are:
"You Got Me" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBBBhQUl99w) by the Roots
"Separate/Together" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idtS9tm0zco) by A Tribe Called Quest
"Runnin'" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hZKN4AZ63g) by the Pharcyde
"In the Flesh" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQZuPlIFe0) by Jurassic 5
"Rebirth of Slick" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY0c2ZAeMK4) by Digable Planets
"One Mic" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrlZUlcV_Fg) by Nas
"Summer in the City" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbGK7YLSk-U) by Justice System
"What's Next?" by Run DMC
"The Foundation" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRclZRfzI0) by Xzibit

I tend to favor the early 90s, as you might be able to tell.

I've linked to YouTube videos of them (when available), in case some anti-rap folks are feeling particularly open-minded today.

nick09
September 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
No and the first music video I saw of rap was about babes and quite strange with you-know-what words. I'm mostly a 70-80's rocker as most bands do it for the money nowadays. I got songs back to 1968 to 2008 and the majority of my songs are in the 70-80's bracket.

I can't believe girls nowadays(and guys also) just blast the rap music to 100% and you would think they would be having hearing aids today.:???:

Anyways I should check poison at wikipedia and check to see how I like their music. Bother to wonder, anyone who is exploring rock should check out AC/DC, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, and other artists.

RiceMonster
September 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I've tried to get into it, but I can't. I don't hate it though. I can usually find something I like in most genres, but rap hasn't done it for me yet.

I voted "I don't hate it but prefer other music."

mthei
September 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Not really, but I do think that Ten by cLOUDDEAD is one of the top 5 albums from the last thirty years.

nkri
September 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I agree with most of you...I just can't get into it and listen mostly to rock/metal.

But I am amazed so far at how many more people don't like it than like it...most of the people I know like only rap/hip-hop and don't listen to anything else; I guess that's high school for you.

btw, I didn't make up the statistics...I found that signature from someone else on the forums and just went with it:)

Thanks!
-nkri

Glucklich
September 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I don't like rap very much, as you can probably see from my signature, but I know plenty of people who do, and have their own opinions about it. This is what I wanna talk about. I think all rap/hip-hop sounds the same and talks about exactly the same stuff: how much "cash" the rapper has or what he did to his "shawty in da club" last night; whether you feel differently or not, I'd like to hear your views and opinions:)

As I said before, Rap is a very valid and valuable art-form as important as Jazz or any other genre. Because it had a time and a place. And let me enlighten you in this area. Hip Hop is the culture, Rap is the music. Hip Hop involves Graffiti, Breakdance, DJing and Rap. So, as you can see, Rap isn't something isolated... it's part of a movement. And this is where the kicker comes. This movement carries a genuine message about change, respect and equality for everyone. Sometimes they achieve this by sharing live experiences, denunciating injustices in our society, visions of a future (some with the hope of a better one, some with a continuation of a downfall) or simply by spreading the good vibe with a well made rhyme. Ones more angered than others, but it's like everything else... after all, we are all human. But in the end, this message can't be faked or bought. And the commercialization of Rap is where the real problem resides. Mixed with juvenile insecurity and affirmation desire, it becomes the perfect business. You have music labels pressing artists to carry the image and message they think sells the more, the "shawty in the club" thing (before Rap, do you remember Madonna for example?)... and this only proves how really versatile it is. You can do almost everything with it. However, like I said before, if you want the real thing you got to get your hands dirty. aysiu already droped some good suggestions like The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, Jurassic 5. I would also add some more like Soul Position, Cunninlynguists, Souls of Mischief... I don't know, there are so many. But the technique that fascinates me more in Rap is sampling. I think it's such a beautiful poetic thing (and RJD2, DJ Shadow, DJ Premier and many many others do it in such a magnificent way). It's like the recognition and appreciation of others work by creating something new with it. It is a kind of award and privilege much more valuable than any Grammy. It's beautiful.

Closed_Port
September 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I think all rap/hip-hop sounds the same and talks about exactly the same stuff: how much "cash" the rapper has or what he did to his "shawty in da club" last night; whether you feel differently or not, I'd like to hear your views and opinions:)

I think you are simply listening to the wrong kind of rap. This stupid, fake kind of gangsta rap you constantly see on tv.

Take a look at some of the stuff aysiu looked to and be prepared to be surprised. I mean, how can someone who likes music not like the Roots?

Kinetic_lord
September 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I used to listen to rapp... i am now a rock listener but, you know wat's the problem ith you guys, foreign people listen to US Rapp because they understand the insults, but they are in other languages... so, there is no problem, if you would listen to rapp in other language,(try sinik on you tube, it's french) it wouldn't be any problem. You can also try listen romanian rapp :)

nothingspecial
September 20th, 2008, 07:55 PM
No but, Gil Scott Herons album "Pieces Of A Man" includes the storming "The Revolution Will Not Be Telivised", which some peolpe consider to be the first Rap song. This is one of my favourite albums. Have a listen -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCQSk2l8bc

BOBSONATOR
September 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
i listen to all genres :)

LaRoza
September 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM
It is a style of music. I don't dislike the style.

I am a metal head, obviously, and we have a predisposition to disliking rap (mainly because the style isn't at all like metal).

Bachstelze
September 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I like some rap, and I dislike some other, exactly the same way as I like some metal and dislike some other, and same goes for classical, jazz, funk, and everything else. My favourite rap songs are mostly early/mid-90s French things, but I also liked some more recent and/or US stuff.

corney91
September 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I'm into Metal but if I'm with friends who listen to rap, I don't really mind listening to it... (well, it really depends on the song - some rap songs can't really be described as music tbh (Disclaimer: I believe this to be true of any genre but the topic is rap ;)))

toupeiro
September 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I like some rap songs, but not alltogether a fan. I do like more of the blend of Rap and R&B music that most people just call R&B today. R&B today is nothing like traditional R&B so I think its a mislabel. Some examples:

Outkast
Post-gangster DK Quik (Rhythmalism and out)
TQ
US3

Some Rappers I like:

Ice Cube
Bone Thugs n Harmony
Eminem
Dr. Dre
Nate Dogg
Warren G

Again, most of the 90's stuff. Not a fan of a lot of newer rap.

nkri
September 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
As I said before, Rap is a very valid and valuable art-form as important as Jazz or any other genre. Because it had a time and a place. And let me enlighten you in this area. Hip Hop is the culture, Rap is the music. Hip Hop involves Graffiti, Breakdance, DJing and Rap. So, as you can see, Rap isn't something isolated... it's part of a movement. And this is where the kicker comes. This movement carries a genuine message about change, respect and equality for everyone. Sometimes they achieve this by sharing live experiences, denunciating injustices in our society, visions of a future (some with the hope of a better one, some with a continuation of a downfall) or simply by spreading the good vibe with a well made rhyme. Ones more angered than others, but it's like everything else... after all, we are all human. But in the end, this message can't be faked or bought. And the commercialization of Rap is where the real problem resides. Mixed with juvenile insecurity and affirmation desire, it becomes the perfect business. You have music labels pressing artists to carry the image and message they think sells the more, the "shawty in the club" thing (before Rap, do you remember Madonna for example?)... and this only proves how really versatile it is. You can do almost everything with it. However, like I said before, if you want the real thing you got to get your hands dirty. aysiu already droped some good suggestions like The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, Jurassic 5. I would also add some more like Soul Position, Cunninlynguists, Souls of Mischief... I don't know, there are so many. But the technique that fascinates me more in Rap is sampling. I think it's such a beautiful poetic thing (and RJD2, DJ Shadow, DJ Premier and many many others do it in such a magnificent way). It's like the recognition and appreciation of others work by creating something new with it. It is a kind of award and privilege much more valuable than any Grammy. It's beautiful.

I just listened to all the songs aysiu posted, all the way through, and still don't like them much. I think it's the fact that they speak in a monotone voice with a bland beat that really gets me...I'm sorry, but it's really irritating. In rock songs, there is a high range of vocals and instruments and it sounds like music, not someone talking angrily with a drum that only plays three or four notes. I agree with LaRoza, though. As a fan of rock, it is only natural not to like the opposite of it. For you, someone who likes rap, it is only natural not to like rock. There is nothing wrong with this, we just think differently and have different tastes:)

simtaalo
September 20th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I think all rap/hip-hop sounds the same and talks about exactly the same stuff: how much "cash" the rapper has or what he did to his "shawty in da club" last night;

i actually put a list up of "alternative rap/hiphop tracks on a different thread that i can copy into here

EDIT: i just realised someone else put a "listening" list on earlier, the stuff he put is good, but the tracks im putting here are very DIFFERENT, so if you went through that list and didnt like it, and see this one and think its more of the same, its not. its a very wide-spanning genre

please checkout

lateef the truthsayer+lyrics born - the last trumpet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3U2yTZDALA

aesop rock - water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUdhmv1fy6M (not the proper vid)

sage francis - rewrite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-mjuwl93g

el-p - stepfather factory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acgr18qpcPM

talib kweli - lonely people
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5qCQBZjcs

atmosphere - if i was santa claus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5qCQBZjcs

boombip and doseone - the birdcatchers return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A88_E_cJOA

foreign beggars - where did the sun go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d00ai4ANpFQ

mr lif - live from the plantation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwRlS2UVHA8

this is a varied selection of tracks from across the genre, i hope you have a proper listen :KS

RiceMonster
September 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I agree with LaRoza, though. As a fan of rock, it is only natural not to like the opposite of it. For you, someone who likes rap, it is only natural not to like rock.\

I don't think that's a fair statement. I know people who listen to a lot of the more obscure metal and "experimental" rock bands that I listen to and listen to a lot of rap as well. Personally, I can go from Listening to Death Metal, and then Post Rock like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, then Bjork, and then electronic music like Aphex Twin. I think Aphex Twin is just as much the opposite of rock/metal as rap is.

simtaalo
September 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I just listened to all the songs aysiu posted, all the way through, and still don't like them much. I think it's the fact that they speak in a monotone voice with a bland beat that really gets me...I'm sorry, but it's really irritating. In rock songs, there is a high range of vocals and instruments and it sounds like music, not someone talking angrily with a drum that only plays three or four notes. I agree with LaRoza, though. As a fan of rock, it is only natural not to like the opposite of it. For you, someone who likes rap, it is only natural not to like rock. There is nothing wrong with this, we just think differently and have different tastes:)

not all vocals are monotone

and rock isnt the opposite to rap, check the loud rocks album
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loud-Rocks-Various-Artists/dp/B00004XRKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1221942976&sr=8-1

every track is a collaboration between rock+rap acts, not all of the rap or rock acts are my flavour, but this project
definitely shows you where the two genres crossover.

im a massive rock, and a massive hiphop/rap fan, the two are not mutually exclusive, i love music from all genres.

Keyper7
September 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Nowadays, I think the word "rap", alone, means as much as the word "rock" alone.

Point being: you need to be a little more specific before I can answer...

Gangsta rap? Poppy rap like Will Smith? Nu-metal? (depending on the band, nu-metal can be considered as a subgenre of both metal and rap)

nkri
September 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Nowadays, I think the word "rap", alone, means as much as the word "rock" alone.

Point being: you need to be a little more specific before I can answer...

Gangsta rap? Poppy rap like Will Smith? Nu-metal? (depending on the band, nu-metal can be considered as a subgenre of both metal and rap)

gansta rap, I guess, although poppy can be pretty annoying.

RiceMonster
September 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'm curious nkri, what are some bands that you like? I know you said you listen to mostly rock/metal.

Glucklich
September 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
As a fan of rock, it is only natural not to like the opposite of it. For you, someone who likes rap, it is only natural not to like rock.

Opposite? Well, I'm sorry but I don't see where Rap is an opposition to Rock or vice versa. I don't see how any genre is an opposition to any other genre. And there are great records where artists from both genres mixed them with great success. For me there are only two kinds of music, good one and bad one. Even when I listen to something outside the area I'm looking at the moment, I'm able to see if it has potential or plain sucks.
But, Hip Hop means a lot for me. In a way it means the same as Ubuntu, in its root and to all of us. I remember when I was a kid going with friends paint some walls... others showed up and gave tips on how to do it better, other just stayed there and hang out. That warmth... and how a simple beat can bring that memory back, it's just beautiful. Well, I guess it's just a very personal feeling.
I get sad when I see and listen those rappers on television with a bada*s attitude, yeah. But the next instant I'm remembered that their choice deserves to be respected, they are doing what they want to do. So I choose to not listen and keep searching. After all, it's just like any other genre where there are good musicians and bad musicians. But going from there to say it is not music, I don't think that's reasonable.

ghindo
September 20th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I listen to hip-hop music, but I also like to listen to other genres. It's kind of stupid to limit yourself to what kinds of music you can listen to.

That being said, I really dig a lot of the instrumental hip-hop that's being made nowadays. I also enjoy quite a few MCs, and think that there's some really excellent lyrical content out there.

It's incredibly important to recognize our own biases. Just because we don't like a genre doesn't mean it's not "real music," whatever that's supposed to mean. Taste in music is incredibly subjective, and we have to recognize that. You can't dismiss a whole culture or genre just because you have some personal bias.

bigbrovar
September 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Rap for me is sacred.. ever since i was in high school ... then later i started to listen to this weird form of music which turned out to be rock and which i later got to like so right now i love but rap and rock .. i could listen to RedHot Chili Peppers and WuTanClan all night... and i also love System of a Down ,Nas,Staind,BustaRhymes,u2,Talibweli,Nirvana,Tupac ,the old Limpbizkit,the Root,Greenday,Mosdef, i could go on ... while am not a fan of the new thread in rap.. the focus on money an girls i still love some new art like Rick Ross, ... on a whole new form of Music generally has an acquired taste ..to some of my friends the Rock music is all shout and Noise... and my former College roommate use to call coldplay and u2 burier songs .. i love Rock for the fusion of Heavy Instrumentals and deep vocals .. i love rap for how the lyrics goes with the beat to form a poetic rhyme .

mips
September 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Nope for 99% of it.

nkri
September 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I'm curious nkri, what are some bands that you like? I know you said you listen to mostly rock/metal.

I listen to a lot of Tool, Ozzy, Pearl Jam, ZZ Top, Guns n' Roses, Velvet Revolver, System of a Down, Iron Maiden, Black Stone Cherry, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, Van Halen, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Godsmack, Disturbed, Metallica, Skynyrd, Motley Crue, Slayer, Rage Against the Machine (which I guess could be considered a mix between rock/metal and rap) and, yes, some Eminem and Kanye West. There are more bands/artists, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Eminem and Kanye West are literally the only hip-hop artists I have on my iPod because so far I haven't found anything else worth listening to:(

Jordanwb
September 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I'm a country music guy. The only rap song I like is U Can't Touch This by MC Hammer, and its parody by Weird Al.

Swarms
September 20th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I love Lil Wayne, but like others I am a kind of a guy that enjoys every genre. Being electronica to classical.

Except country and jazz.

L815
September 21st, 2008, 02:04 AM
I can't stand rap or country, but like any of the other genres.

banjobacon
September 21st, 2008, 03:23 AM
Opposite? Well, I'm sorry but I don't see where Rap is an opposition to Rock or vice versa. I don't see how any genre is an opposition to any other genre.

Rock is made by white people, rap is made by black people. White is the opposite of black, thus rock is the opposite of rap.

Duh!

(I'm being facetious.)

EDIT: I don't think anyone has mentioned Blackalicious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-dJ6xbrWHQ

amazingtaters
September 21st, 2008, 04:41 AM
I'm really about 90's rap. Especially Gang Starr and the Wu-Tang Clan.

geogur
September 21st, 2008, 04:53 AM
rap is just the title the image is lots to dislike . the whole hood gang association is the thing that is offensive. the music can be good but the vidio`s are not worth airing .

toupeiro
September 21st, 2008, 05:15 AM

I kinda agree with the monotone voice + hi-hat rap music. Thats actually one of the things that really got me into DJ Quik. He is mostly rap, but there is no drum machines, no looped bass lines from a synth. He plays about 5-6 different instruments and everything is live-recorded. One of the few rappers out there who are musicians. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B_pxUMmJhA) The song here is more of a R&B/Funk, but this is the quality of music he brings out in his albums.

The other ones I mentioned I like almost purely for their vocals and diversity in instruments.

BLTicklemonster
September 21st, 2008, 05:18 AM
I can't stand rap, it sounds like cheerleaders chanting to music using rhymes a 5 year old made up. It really offends me. My kids, bless their hearts, share my sentiment.

toupeiro
September 21st, 2008, 05:23 AM
I can't stand rap, it sounds like cheerleaders chanting to music using rhymes a 5 year old made up. It really offends me. My kids, bless their hearts, share my sentiment.

hehe, you obviously didn't click my link. Thats not 5 year old music. :) Most of what radio plays is crap anyway. I never listen to radio because it drives me nuts, not for Rock or Rap... The best musicians of any genre usually have to be sought out.

epidemiks
September 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
I prefer hip hop...

Twitch6000
September 21st, 2008, 05:42 AM
The rap nowadays is just trash.
I think one of the great rappers ICE-T has said this himself,these new rappers are just in it for the money and nothing else.

I myself like what is now called ''old school rap/hip hop''.

That is when it meant something and was about having fun.
Some examples of this old school rap artists would be-
Coolio
69 boyz
95 south
afroman
Dr.Dre
Snoop Dogg
etc...

I now just Listen to Death Metal,Heavy Metal,Nu-Metal,Goth Rock,And Hard rock though.

If I want some old school rap I know where to look.

Main Point is todays rappers don't know where it all started or what its about...

crimesaucer
September 21st, 2008, 05:49 AM
".....Eminem and Kanye West are literally the only hip-hop artists I have on my iPod because so far I haven't found anything else worth listening to....."

Maybe you haven't actually heard real hip hop? Most of it is very similar to Kanye and Eminem, usually better.

Most hip hop played on the radio or video doesn't really count.

EDIT.... there seems to be a lot of closed minds in this thread....

BLTicklemonster
September 21st, 2008, 06:02 AM
hehe, you obviously didn't click my link. Thats not 5 year old music. :) Most of what radio plays is crap anyway. I never listen to radio because it drives me nuts, not for Rock or Rap... The best musicians of any genre usually have to be sought out.

The words are inconsequential, it's the beat that runs me off.

I'll brave the link, though.

toupeiro
September 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM

Well words shouldn't get in your way with that link :-D

I now just Listen to Death Metal,Heavy Metal,Nu-Metal,Goth Rock,And Hard rock though.

lol, just lol... All I can think of here is just "coke, caffeine free coke, cherry coke, diet coke, diet cherry coke, caffeine free diet cherry coke, or vanilla coke, diet vanilla coke, or coke zero?"

I love rock music, but seriously its probably the snootiest when it comes to wanting to be "unique like everything else". "Ohh, I turned my overdrive up, upped my timing a half a step and growl in the chorus, I created a new genre!"

"Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk, It's still rock and roll to me." -Billy Joel

EdThaSlayer
September 21st, 2008, 06:10 AM
I think rap is the best music genre(I do listen to others though, but not much). I listen to all kinds of rap, and a lot of foreign rap from all over(listening to American rap sometimes gets tedious as they rap about getting the biggest grills, nothing you can really relate to).

banjobacon
September 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM
EDIT.... there seems to be a lot of closed minds in this thread....

I guess it's good that people are being honest, rather than fake an interest in an art form they don't care about.

I really expected "I listen to all genres" to be a more popular choice, and am surprised that it's the least popular one in the poll. I figured more people would consider their musical tastes to be more eclectic than not. But I guess the average Community Cafe poster's musical taste is as eclectic as this guy's (http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/open_minded_music_lover):

Open-Minded Music Lover Likes All Kinds Of Metal

LOGANSPORT, IN—Area music enthusiast Curt Webber, 22, is completely open to enjoying "all kinds" of metal, the self-described eclectic iconoclast said Monday.

"Some people are so narrow-minded and uptight about music, but I'm into a wide variety of bands—everything from Sabbath to Disturbed," Webber said. "Whether it's the old stuff, like vintage Maiden or Priest; new stuff, like Mastodon or the Sword; the virtuosic neoclassicism of DragonForce; the unpolished rawness of, say, Motörhead; a multiplatinum band like the Crüe; an alternative act like Clutch; or just a local outfit like Soldiers of Carnage here in town—power metal, speed metal, glam metal, thrash metal, death metal, nü metal, metal-core, or even Norwegian black metal—it's all music to me, man."

Webber conceded that the one musical style he simply cannot abide is rap metal.

crimesaucer
September 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM
".....listening to American rap sometimes gets tedious as they rap about getting the biggest grills, nothing you can really relate to....."

I've been listening to rap/hip hop since 1983..... and I've managed to not own a single song that brags about "big grills".....

I have had plenty of songs in my music collection that make fun of other rappers that brag about "big grills", "suvs", and "fake hustling", and how they've pretty much destroyed the art form.

crimesaucer
September 21st, 2008, 06:28 AM
".....I really expected "I listen to all genres" to be a more popular choice, and am surprised that it's the least popular one in the poll. I figured more people would consider their musical tastes to be more eclectic than not....."

+1 for "I listen to all genres".

.....plus, it is a Saturday night, so maybe most eclectic music lovers are out enjoying the nightlife.

PryGuy
September 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM
'I don't hate it but prefer other music'
I think the main thing is not in the rap itself but in the poor quality of the 'product' so called musicians and record companies want us to buy or even hear. I stick to rock classics...

Arathorn
September 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
I didn't like rap until I went to college (that's American for university). One of my hallmates introduced me to the Fugees' "Vocab (the Remix)," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PONHqZ5FOYA) and I was hooked.

"Separate/Together" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idtS9tm0zco) by A Tribe Called Quest
"Rebirth of Slick" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY0c2ZAeMK4) by Digable Planets
"Summer in the City" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbGK7YLSk-U) by Justice System

Nice list, and a good introduction to rap for people who hate it because they only know 50 Cent from the radio. I'm a very open-minded music lover, but most of the time I listen to Hip Hop music. The flow often simply suits my mood.

Polygon
September 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM
99.999% of rap sucks (to me).

but there are a few that are good.

aysiu
September 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm just curious: for those who say they don't like most rap, which rap songs do you like?

Tomosaur
September 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I like rap which is saying something, but I don't like 'gangster' rap and all that crap.

My band has a rapper, and most of the time the rap lyrics are political or about social justice and whatnot. Lots of people call us 'rock rap' but we call ourselves 'grip-hop' (grungey hip-hop). Although we also call ourselves punk and just plain rock too, so probably not the best indicator of what we actually sound like!

bp1509
September 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
d

OutOfReach
September 21st, 2008, 05:58 PM
radio rap is the worst crap in the world, but some old school rappers( public enemy, krs-1, etc), rappers in other nations (uganda, palestine, aus, uk, etc.), and underground rappers (immortal technique, felt, sage francis) bring artistry to the genre, and do a bit more than talk about bouncing cars and derogatory words for women.

+1

nkri
September 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM
I kinda agree with the monotone voice + hi-hat rap music. Thats actually one of the things that really got me into DJ Quik. He is mostly rap, but there is no drum machines, no looped bass lines from a synth. He plays about 5-6 different instruments and everything is live-recorded. One of the few rappers out there who are musicians. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B_pxUMmJhA) The song here is more of a R&B/Funk, but this is the quality of music he brings out in his albums.

The other ones I mentioned I like almost purely for their vocals and diversity in instruments.

Good link...I could stand listening to that for long periods of time:) I like that he incorporated real instruments into it, instead of only digital tracks.

I also listened to some of his other stuff (with lyrics) and it was pretty good:guitar: His voice has a good range, and he actually doesn't sound like he hates everything and wants to kill everyone, like the artists in some of the other links. This, in my opinion, would be worth buying.

steveneddy
September 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Rap sucks!

My opinion.

My youngest daughter (20 yrs old) loves rap.

Long live Rock-n-Roll!

lukjad
September 21st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Rap, ugh!

NWAdawg
September 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
I grew up in the 60's, and was taken to Woodstock as a kid. Got into the hair bands of the 70-80's. Watch that phase called Disco, come and die, Hoping that rap will do the same. I can't stand the boom boom noise, its really bad when i can hear it over the open pipes on my Harley. I'll stick with my folk/rock of the 60'70's, When a songwriters wrote songs that meant something.

bobbob1016
September 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
There's very little of it that I like, maybe ten tracks tops.

The rest is missing a c.

I usually say "I listen to rap, not c-rap." I listen to other music too, but noting that is about rolling on fo-fo's, or about hoes or anything like that. I listen to mainly one guy/group (the rapper + a dj who works with others on the same label) Atmosphere. Although I like The Who, Coldplay, Postal Service/Death Cab For Cutie, and others as well.

lukjad
September 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
That wasn't very polite... :(

Glucklich
September 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Rock is made by white people, rap is made by black people. White is the opposite of black, thus rock is the opposite of rap.

Duh!

Now, that's not a nice thing to be said isn't it? Who is RJD2? Who is DJ Shadow? Who is Kno? Who is Kele Okereke? Just to name some. That is just an ignorant thing to be said, as white people are not the opposite of black people and vice versa. I'm just shocked none of this affirmations is blocked yet. Nor this one, nor the one saying "Rap isn't music". Shouldn't the respect for cultural differences prevail in this forum?

lukjad
September 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM
I think he was being funny...

Glucklich
September 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
I think he was being funny...

It was hilarious, I just couldn't stop laughing my a** off.

bp1509
September 21st, 2008, 08:46 PM
Rap sucks!

My opinion.

My youngest daughter (20 yrs old) loves rap.

Long live Rock-n-Roll!

music isn't a competition between genres, just an FYI. And plenty of rock bands have rappers in them. From Linkin Park to G Love and Special Sauce. Jimmy Page has worked with rappers, David Bowie has. Ozzy has.

bp1509
September 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM
d

toupeiro
September 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM
I dislike generalizations that ALL rap has crappy lyrics, or is only about sex, or thug life, or big grills. Thats just what you are listening to or hearing. I believe a true fan of music won't call a genre bad unless they've really given it the time of day.

I've already shared musically relevant rap. Here's lyrically relevant rap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI1fCMmir1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9UI-m-Qd8s

Far as I am concerned, Rap is a genre, a relevant genre. I'm not its hugest fan, but I will still defend it as a musical form. It has its bad apples like rock.

Good link...I could stand listening to that for long periods of time I like that he incorporated real instruments into it, instead of only digital tracks.

I also listened to some of his other stuff (with lyrics) and it was pretty good His voice has a good range, and he actually doesn't sound like he hates everything and wants to kill everyone, like the artists in some of the other links. This, in my opinion, would be worth buying.

Hey, glad you liked it. :) Yeah, that artist is very talented. To think he really got his start around the same time as Dr. Dre and Ice Cube really kinda tells you how ahead of his time he was then. He was more in the "gangsta rap" category then (mid-late 80's), but his musical quality was still much higher than most. He eventually evolved his lyrics, and became even better.

Sealbhach
September 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
This is the crap we have to put up with in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Y4IVx0rMU

It is not doing anything, anything at all to improve the quality of life for Londoners. Quite the reverse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7138514.stm

bp1509
September 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
d

nkri
September 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM
You know i just think you don't have a clue about what is rap.
I listen to rap , and when i say rap i mean real rap, not the one your are mentioning in the quote.
It's your fault if you think that, what 50cent or Lil Wayne do is rap, cause it's not.
So just don't start a thread like this one if you don't have any clue about rap.
Rap , it's a poetic genre of music. Take the test of real rapper , i mean Common , Most of Nas and Kanye West Song lyrics , then you will realize or (in your case) discover what is rap.
If you spend you time thinking that (in da club of 50cent), of( money maker of Lil Wayne ) is rap , then you are the one being wrong. And don't open a thread to show us, how ignorant you are about Rap.
If you want....
I will do you a favor , listen to these music or read those lyrics, real lyrics about rap singer (Diamond From Sierra Leon, All falls Down , Last Call , Homecoming, Jesus Walk, stronger , Good Morning : Those by Kanye West ) , From Nas (Omg He is a real Poet i can list you a tons of his song real song) , And Talib Kweli.... and Como'n ...... Lauryn Hill .... shiiiiiiiiiiiittttt i can spend all night long give you a list of real Rap singer.

<snip>

And by the way i am open to all kind of Music, with a preference on the Classical one's .

Good Night and good Luck.

Jesus christ, I was just curious to see what other people thought. And if I don't like rap, you have no right telling me that "it'll find me" or that I'll like it eventually (which may happen), especially if I don't. Not everyone likes what you like, and we all have a right to our own opinions. I'm not saying that liking rap is wrong, or that it has no point. I'm simply saying that I don't like what I've heard of it very much. End of story.

I should write a rap about this...
:lolflag:

PS: Kanye West is one of the rap artists I do listen to (as I said in an earlier post), partly because of the lyrics. Also, in my entire life, I have never watched MTV.

AndyCooll
September 22nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
I voted that "Rap is the worst" and as a generalisation I stand by that viewpoint. When I hear most rap music I simply switch off.

However, as with all forms of music there are always exceptions. And even though I might dislike 99% of rap music there's that 1% that I do like listening to.

:cool:

banjobacon
September 22nd, 2008, 12:54 AM
Any Beach Boys fans out there? Check out Brian Wilson's long lost rap gem (http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/11/brian-wilsons-l.html).

use a name
September 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
Rap: almost as bad as jazz...

bp1509
September 22nd, 2008, 01:36 AM
d

nbayiha
September 22nd, 2008, 01:53 AM
Jesus christ, I was just curious to see what other people thought. And if I don't like rap, you have no right telling me that "it'll find me" or that I'll like it eventually (which may happen), especially if I don't. Not everyone likes what you like, and we all have a right to our own opinions. I'm not saying that liking rap is wrong, or that it has no point. I'm simply saying that I don't like what I've heard of it very much. End of story.

I should write a rap about this...
:lolflag:

PS: Kanye West is one of the rap artists I do listen to (as I said in an earlier post), partly because of the lyrics. Also, in my entire life, I have never watched MTV.

I think i was to rush on You, sorry for that. :lolflag: ...

I think he should be joking. Or maybe he has never listen to Jazz.

bp1509
September 22nd, 2008, 02:46 AM
d

bp1509
September 22nd, 2008, 04:17 AM
d

crimesaucer
September 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by banjobacon

".....Rock is made by white people, rap is made by black people. White is the opposite of black, thus rock is the opposite of rap.

Duh!....."

Hopefully this was only sarcastically joking this thread for it's very closed mind.

Now, that's not a nice thing to be said isn't it? Who is RJD2? Who is DJ Shadow? Who is Kno? Who is Kele Okereke? Just to name some. That is just an ignorant thing to be said, as white people are not the opposite of black people and vice versa. I'm just shocked none of this affirmations is blocked yet. Nor this one, nor the one saying "Rap isn't music". Shouldn't the respect for cultural differences prevail in this forum?

..... and who is Fishbone, who are the Bad Brains, who is Jimi Hendrix, who is Prince.....

I feel that people in this thread have some issues.

Stereotyping all hip hop music with the limited knowledge that most of these people have about urban music is comparable to thinking that all punk rock music is skinhead racist white trash..... or death metal racist crap..... (and before you start judging me, I used to go see D.C. and New York Hardcore skin bands back in the late 80's like Murphy's Law and Sick Of It All... none of it was racist.... it was just hardcore like the bad brains, Danzig, or the Rollins band. I also used to listen to Slayer..... one of my favorite early rap songs of the late 1980's was Public Enemy's "She Watch Channel Zero" which sampled Slayer's guitar riff from South of Heaven.)

My point is that most of the music that these so called rap haters have mentioned is pretty bad, both the rap bands that they've claimed suck, and the rock bands that they've used as a comparison to what they think is "good"? I mean.... Guns and Roses and Motely Crue????? really?

I can't even think of having Guns and Roses and Motely Crue on the same music device as System of A Down, Tool, and Nirvana.... I used to love the music of Buckethead and I could never understand how he left all of the talented artist's that he worked with to join Guns and Roses.

But this isn't about your bad taste (mixed with some good taste), or my opinion of it..... it's about you generalization of a whole genre of music that I'm sorry to say.... you have no clue about.

Here's an idea for you..... you said you liked Kanye West..... well take the albums of his that you like and then read the artist info about who was a guest lyricist and who did production on what songs and then check out "their" solo material.... and if you like it (which you should if you already liked it on Kayne's albums, then do the same thing with their albums and maybe you might actually learn about a bunch of new groups and musicians that you had never heard of..... even if you didn't already know that you liked them on Kayne's songs. You could also see what groups have had Kayne on their albums or who he's toured with.....

The only problem with the above idea is that you've picked two artist (Kanye and Eminem) that are both on labels that aren't really independent, and both of them do a lot of collaboration with well known artists like Jay Z, Dre, Fifty Cent.....

..... as for this guy:

I also hope he was joking..... but for those of you that aren't, then please go find Tribe Called Quest's "Low End Theory" or Guru's Jazzmatazz albums Vol. 1 and 2..... then go listen to some real Blue Note and Impulse records like Freddy Hubbard, Donald Bryd, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Milt Jackson, Grant Green, Pharoah Sanders....

.....or for something more recent, listen to one of my favorite albums by Antipop Consortium with jazz artist Matthew Shipp: http://www.amazon.com/Antipop-Consortium-vs-Matthew-Shipp/dp/B000089CJE

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/Arch-newb/413WS9Z96NL_SL500_AA240_.jpg

And for the rest of you "Classic Rockers", these are my current favoritres of that genre:

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage and Apostrophe / Over-Nite Sensation
Pink Floyd - Animals
The Beatles - Abbey Road and Let It Be

..... and I'll always love Jimi Hendrix "Electric Lady Land" and Band of Gypsies. And don't even get me started on Funkadelic and Parliament albums.

nbayiha
September 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
My opinion.. if you know nothing about a genre then it "all sounds the same". Take country for example, or classical, or late 60's early 70's hippie rock, take disco, or metal. If you know nothing about it, and care not to.. then "it's all the same" and easily stereotyped, categorized and stored in your brain that way.

There are plenty of rapper out there that take rhyming, poetry, soul, heart, and a social consciousness to the next level. Most of what people hear, is absolute garbage. B/c well... Clear Channel, MTV, and the RIAA for the most part promote the quick buck, empty, soulless, balless crap in every genre. CMT is just as much garbage as MTV and BET. Same goes for radio stations.

Personally I find your signature arrogant. I love lots of talented music, from Pink Floyd to Opeth, from Led Zepplin to Tool, from Miles Davis to Chet Atkins. I have a few guilty pleasures too. But fact of the matter is there's plenty of hip hop artists out there i find incredibly talented. No, they're not guitarists. Some are turntablists that rarely if ever team up with an actual rapper. Others are some hybrid between rappers and poets. Some are just straight up rappers with amazing lyrics and rhyming ability, with an excellent sense of wordplay. I try not to listen to the crap that's violent for no purpose, sexist, homophobic, self indulgent, greedy, arrogant, etc. And sure, that's a great deal of the genre. But lets get it real here. Corporate America promotes that. Violence, sex, and drugs sell. It's that simple. Once the major labels got a grip on what hip hop was and realized all these white kids are buying it by the millions b/c it's the "rebellious" music, the short changed it and reduced it down to it's worst elements.

But really, is that so much different than what the major labels have done to country? Look at what's promoted now as country compared to what country was, today it's just an empty shell/stereotype being played out in front of our eyes with a pop sensibility. Most of the country stars today couldn't write a song any more than britney spears.

First of All , i am Apologizing for one of the post a did (The Post has been send to "Jail"). Therefore i still stand for 90% of the word i used in that post, recognizing that 10% were really disrespectful , for the one who open this thread (Sorry i am sorry @nkri).

Just to Make it short. I totally agree , with @bp1509 . He resumed my mind, with better manner than i did before.

Above, i quote a proper version of what was send to Jail.

I listen to rap , and when i say rap i mean real rap, not the one @nkri mentioned.
Rap , it's a poetic genre of music.
Read lyrics of rapper , for instance Common, Nas, Kanye West(...), then You (@nkri and those in your situation) will discover what rap is.
But if you listen to (in da club of 50cent) or ( money maker of Lil Wayne ...Rick Ross and those fellas doing the same 'money' 'pus**' 'bli* bli**' genre ),and you think it's 'RAP'; then, you have being fooled by those singer.

I will do you and those fellows a favor.
Listen to the music or read lyrics of those rap singer (Diamond From Sierra Leon, All falls Down , Last Call , Homecoming, Jesus Walk, stronger , Good Morning : Those by Kanye West ) , From Nas ( One Mic , I know i can , Nas is like , Hip Hop is Dead ,Made you loke , Rule... He is a real Poet i can list tons of his song) , And what about Talib Kweli.... and Common(The people is my best) ...... Lauryn Hill ... i can spend all night long giving you a list of real Rap singer.

And for those out there, who want to know what is Hip Hop, Please don't stick your nose on mtv expecting to hear real Rap from them... cause you won't.

And by the way i am open to all kind of Music, with a preference on the Classical one's .

Good Night and good Luck.

simtaalo
September 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM

you want musically mature hiphop, then check out the massive list i posted a few pages back.

seems that all the people on this thread that say they dont like hiphop havent even looked at the post i made giving a big list of hiphop that is very different to what you would have heard before.

simtaalo
September 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
When a songwriters wrote songs that meant something.

if you can listen to all of those links i posted with an openmind and then tell me those songs dont mean something then im willing to eat many hats.

i dont mind peoples having different opinions, but do mind a bit when they base their opinions on the commercial side of a genre.

i could watch 80s big hair rock videos and conclude that the whole genre is degrading to women and songs about nothing. but that would be stupid, because we know that is such a tiny part of what rock music is.

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
I don't hate all rap songs. Most of them however I do.

I sometimes enjoy the old rap from the last century.

The new rap songs are worth less and insulting to my IQ.

---

A song I really like is Warren G - Regulate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORjG0u_J-VE) or Luniz - I got 5 on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJzIYv_mE04) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Wnx6mdwHs) one.

73ckn797
September 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
Until rap came along I never thought anything could be worse than disco! I do not consider either to be music. That is how I feel and I am sticking with it!

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Until rap came along I never thought anything could be worse than disco! I do not consider either to be music. That is how I feel and I am sticking with it!

lol

I wonder what you think about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unSiYgfAWkA) music.

Not music either?

bigbrovar
September 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
IN my country many people are of the opinion that rock music is satanic .. these are the views of closed minded people who fear then hate anything they don't understand and dont want to..many people here have the same mind set .. which makes it really sad ..

nbayiha
September 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM

Which Rap song did you listen before ?

As they said before , there is a lot of closed minded in this thread.

simtaalo
September 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
The new rap songs are worth less and insulting to my IQ.

---

tell me this is insulting to your iq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3U2yTZDALA

AndyCooll
September 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
My opinion.. if you know nothing about a genre then it "all sounds the same". Take country for example, or classical, or late 60's early 70's hippie rock, take disco, or metal. If you know nothing about it, and care not to.. then "it's all the same" and easily stereotyped, categorized and stored in your brain that way.

There are plenty of rapper out there that take rhyming, poetry, soul, heart, and a social consciousness to the next level. Most of what people hear, is absolute garbage. B/c well... Clear Channel, MTV, and the RIAA for the most part promote the quick buck, empty, soulless, balless crap in every genre. CMT is just as much garbage as MTV and BET. Same goes for radio stations.

Personally I find your signature arrogant. I love lots of talented music, from Pink Floyd to Opeth, from Led Zepplin to Tool, from Miles Davis to Chet Atkins. I have a few guilty pleasures too. But fact of the matter is there's plenty of hip hop artists out there i find incredibly talented. No, they're not guitarists. Some are turntablists that rarely if ever team up with an actual rapper. Others are some hybrid between rappers and poets. Some are just straight up rappers with amazing lyrics and rhyming ability, with an excellent sense of wordplay. I try not to listen to the crap that's violent for no purpose, sexist, homophobic, self indulgent, greedy, arrogant, etc. And sure, that's a great deal of the genre. But lets get it real here. Corporate America promotes that. Violence, sex, and drugs sell. It's that simple. Once the major labels got a grip on what hip hop was and realized all these white kids are buying it by the millions b/c it's the "rebellious" music, the short changed it and reduced it down to it's worst elements.

But really, is that so much different than what the major labels have done to country? Look at what's promoted now as country compared to what country was, today it's just an empty shell/stereotype being played out in front of our eyes with a pop sensibility. Most of the country stars today couldn't write a song any more than britney spears.
Excellent points put across in a constructive manner! Well said!!

I am one of those who doesn't like rap, and I completely agree with your views regarding it "all sounds the same", for to me this is my view of rap as it doesn't interest me. I am not, therefore, well-placed to make constructive or knowledgeable commments on a genre of music I know so little about.

:cool:

regomodo
September 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
#

swoll1980
September 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
all rap/hip-hop sounds the same and talks about exactly the same stuff: how much "cash" the rapper has or what he did to his "shawty in da club" last night; whether you feel differently or not, I'd like to hear your views and opinions:)

Thanks!
-nkri

You can take any genre of music, and the songs within it will be about the same thing.

crimesaucer
September 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
I love loads of rap that was made pre 1997ish. After this all rap is utter drivel.

Actually, no it's not. I love all that Tribe, De la Sol, Pharcyde, Guru, Mobb Deep, Wu, Roots, Slum Villa, Blackstar, Common, Redman, Keith Murray, Eric Sermon, Pete Rock, Q-Bert, Dr. Octagon of the mid/late 90's..... but to pretend that hip hop still isn't putting out music like that, but with newer creative beats and concepts..... is just a false statement.

Is it on the radio? no (well, sometimes on listner supported radio). Is it played in the clubs? not most. Is it on the movie soundtrack? usually not. Is it on the video channel? no, even though there still are some good video artist like Kanye, Slum Villa, De La, the Roots, Pharrell, Common etc..... I personally like most all hip hop (afro-man excluded), I just prefer to listen to what I choose instead of the most popular stuff played on the radio. For example I like Jay Z but I have only had his songs on mix tapes..... which were all good.

Is it on my iRiver? yes. Along with Mars Volta, System of a Down, Sebadoh, Queens of the Stone Age, A Perfect Circle, Sonic Youth, Felix Da Housecat, Joy Division, bad brains, TOOL, Frank Zappa, Art Blakey, Pharaoh Sanders, Prefuse 73, Daedelus, DJSPOOKY, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr, the Pixies, and Funkadelic/Parliament/P-Funk to name a few.

use a name
September 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM

I think he should be joking. Or maybe he has never listen to Jazz.
What? I'm not allowed to have an opinion? Or just not that opinion.

All in all, I think if ANYONE dislikes ANY genre as a whole, probably knows absolutely nothing about it. I don't care if it's jazz, drum n bass, trance, hip hop, death metal, classic rock, blues, swing, neo-soul,

there's something to appreciate about every one out there.
No, one could certainly hate some kinds of music, how talented the artist(s) may be. Just add bagpipes, Lederhosen Musik (there probably is some term for that), Arab music (not really a genre, so yes I'm generalizing very much + I admid, I might have missed a few gems), Country and Polka to your list, just to get a little further from mainstream stuff and you can see there always is something to your disliking. For me, jazz and rap are almost down there.

BTW, bagpipes are great!

cmay
September 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
i vote for option i listen to all genres since i do listen to rap if it is beck hansen or if it is heavy /punk /rap . of course red hot chilli peppers mix rap with funk. so if its rap mixed with country metal punk funk or alternatives i like it very much. not so much the pure rap.

regomodo
September 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
#

crimesaucer
September 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
What? I'm not allowed to have an opinion? Or just not that opinion.

No, one could certainly hate some kinds of music, how talented the artist(s) may be. Just add bagpipes, Lederhosen Musik (there probably is some term for that), Arab music (not really a genre, so yes I'm generalizing very much + I admid, I might have missed a few gems), Country and Polka to your list, just to get a little further from mainstream stuff and you can see there always is something to your disliking. For me, jazz and rap are almost down there.

BTW, bagpipes are great!

I hate most country music... all except for Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. I love the movie the Electric Horsemen with the soundtrack by Willie Nelson..... but as for pop-country music like "achey breaky heart" and all this pop-patriotic post 911 crap..... it makes me want to vomit.

crimesaucer
September 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
OK. I have Common and the Root CD's but these are an exception to modern rap. Personally i think rap peaked at the turn of the 90's. I guess Kanye is ok and wouldn't turn off the radio but i wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it.

BTW, i'm not some old fogey reminiscing of the "good old days"

I never owned a Kanye album, I like what I hear, I like his guest spots on my other albums..... but when I think of Common or the Roots, I think of them as more of the mid 1990's thing..... basically the innovators of the new style that has been picked up and carried on with the newer groups, they still put out really good music and I usually try to get a hold of their latest release if I have the money.....

Anyway, it seems silly of me to get into a bunch of beautiful music that I listen to, especially on this "hater thread" that thinks that ALL of hip hop sounds like the Geto Boys or Coolio with thin pop techno club beats.....

73ckn797
September 22nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Which Rap song did you listen before ?

As they said before , there is a lot of closed minded in this thread.

You are entitled to your opinions and musical likes or dislikes just as I am. Does that mean others are of a lower class than you if they do not feel the same way as you do? Talk about closed minded.

nkri
September 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM

Well said! Frankly, after reading this thread the past couple days and listening to the music people have posted, I really do agree with most of what you said (yeah, I know, I'm a hypocrite). I didn't, and still don't, know anything about the genre, therefore forming stereotypes about it. I still don't like it, but am better understanding what people are saying and why.

@nbayiha-don't worry about the "jail" thread...most of what you said was true anyway, though maybe a little harsh:)

venator260
September 23rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
I turned off Meshuggah to go through some of the things posted in this thread. Some of it is enjoyable to me. I don't see myself adding any to my collection. Some of that is because it's not THAT entertaining to me, and some is because the political views that the people have are 100% different than mine; and with a genre that's all about the lyrics, that's a problem.

It's opened my mind a bit, and I certainly wouldn't call it crap. The folks that I have seen in this thread are both talented lyricists and strongly motivated by a certain viewpoint enough to attempt to spread their message and hopefully change that which is seen as injustice. That is different, but, IMO, more valueable to me than writing good guitar riffs and putting them together well.

Doesn't have much entertainment value to me though, so it's back to Meshuggah.

koji042
September 23rd, 2008, 04:53 AM
I've never really listened to a (full) rap song before so I can't exactly say I hate it, but what I have heard, I don't like it. Maybe it's the singing :P or the beats, I dunno. Sometimes on the train there is someone listening to rap on their MP3 with the volume on max. It's surprisingly loud, not very helpful when you just woke up and your head feels like a brick. xD

grossaffe
September 23rd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Not a Rap fan, more into metal. but even then, its not mainstream music. The only Dragonforce is probably as mainstream as my metal gets but I was listening to them while they were still largely unknown.

RiceMonster
September 23rd, 2008, 05:07 AM
I had pretty much gotten tired of Dragonforce before they were featured on Guitar Hero and everyone suddenly became fans.

pt123
September 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
I still listen to rap pre-2000, those days were good. But I'm starting to open up to other forms of music.

Me too. same boat.

ooobuntooo
September 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
I like Tupac and Eminem. Rap is not my favorite genre of music though.

Polygon
September 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
I had pretty much gotten tired of Dragonforce before they were featured on Guitar Hero and everyone suddenly became fans.

a lot of dragonforce's music is repetitive, and this is coming from a fan who had all three cd's before they got featured on guitar hero.

at work, a bookstore, im forced to listen to XM 30 (satellite radio station), this station is the 'hit list' and im forced to listen to the same 100 or so songs over and over and over and over and over (did i mention over?)

the few rap songs on there are all terrible. There is this one that is like remixed with daft punk, oh my its just so bad >.<

tuxxy
September 24th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Finally we now understand what the hell these rappers are saying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6H0i1RAdHk

lisati
September 24th, 2008, 02:34 AM

I concur. Sometimes I wonder if the letter C should be put in front of it. Some of the nonsense that passes as "music" these days is utter rubbish - some of the newer stuff has the rhythm, but whatever happened to "melody", "harmony" and "original"? Or am I just becoming one of the "boring old farts brigade"?

powerpleb
September 24th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Or am I just becoming one of the "boring old farts brigade"?
No, you're just a part of the 'commerce is killing music' brigade of which I am also a proud member. The problem is that business has latched onto rap/hip-hop as the latest trend and manufactured the all the substance out of it.

There is resistance, even if you sometimes need to go to Australia to find it, Observe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrYc0Lb_XNI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_E7sxsepgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHbXfSJNhXE

ghindo
September 24th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I still listen to rap pre-2000, those days were good. But I'm starting to open up to other forms of music.I really dislike the argument that contemporary music is bad compared to music of days of old. I honestly think that there is and always will be good music out there, you just have to look hard enough.

jrusso2
September 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Its not just music, commercialism and big business has ruined films, and tv also.

73ckn797
September 24th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Or am I just becoming one of the "boring old farts brigade"?

Welcome to the brigade!! GRIN

All genres of music have their real innovators. People who created something new or took it forward in a unique way. After that, when the execs see how liked it is, create cookie cutter varieties that quickly run it all into the ground. This applies to all forms of music, I feel.

powerpleb
September 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Its not just music, commercialism and big business has ruined films, and tv also.

So true, how many 'gritty' cop dramas do we actually need anyway?

ukripper
September 24th, 2008, 04:10 PM
"Baby got back" not sure if it comes under rap genre anymore..

akiratheoni
September 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM

I tend to favor the early 90s, as you might be able to tell.

I've linked to YouTube videos of them (when available), in case some anti-rap folks are feeling particularly open-minded today.

I love you more than ever ;) A Tribe Called Quest rules.

Ah, RJD2 and DJ Shadow make some nice breakbeats (1976 and Organ Donor ftw :P)

I'm a bboy (breakdancer for you non-hip hop people) and we DO listen to rock, funk, jazz, hip-hop, and a LOT of other genres when we dance. I just want to get rid of that stereotype that says that we dance to only rap and music that is played in the club. That's wrong, we don't dance to ANYTHING they play at dances or clubs or anything, which is why I don't like dancing there.

Mad_Dawg
September 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I absolutely detest most rap. Back in the beginning of rap, there were a few interesting songs, if you can call rap a song.

Baby Got Back
Big Butt
Funky Cold Medina
Girls Ain't Nothing but Trouble
Parents don't Understand
Rapper's Delight
Fight for Your Right to Party

bp1509
September 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
d

thescientist213
September 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Del the funkee homosapien (particularly Deltron 3030)
Hieroglyphics
Genelec and Memphis
Opio

That's mainly all I listen to when it comes to rap.

AlphaMack
September 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Mostly listening to 'progressive' EDM these days, but I stick to pre-2003 hip-hop.

Hiero
Souls of Mischief
Dilated Peoples
Lexicon
Defari
Xzibit
Tha Liks
Jurassic 5
Saukrates
Styles of Beyond
The Roots
Slum Village
De La Soul
Fu-Schnickens
Gang Starr

And that's just the short list.

frup
September 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Rap is the only music genre I have come across where the sound does nothing for me. It leaves me void of any feeling towards it.

masterwillems
September 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM
To be more precise what is your definition of rap? is it "gangster rap" or talking fast in a song (which can ryme).

Since like for example there is rap in the band SlipKnot but that is waaay diferent then lets say 50cent.

So i think you mean 50cent like rap....i hate it.

akillah
November 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Come on....:confused: I like underground hip hop, couse mainstream is so lame these days, yes I love rap, actually I do rap, but also I like AC/DC, Pink Floyd, SOAD :guitar: . I mean, I can listen to all talented artists. I stay MUSIC fan, simply like that....[-X

Sand & Mercury
November 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Used to really hate rap with a passion, could see nothing of merit in it.

These days though, I'm still a metal guy but I can really respect rap as an art form. I see now that it does take a lot of talent to be good with it. It's not really my cup of tea, but I respect it. I do dig some of the old-school 80's rap though, like Run DMC and Public Enemy.

_Phineas_
January 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Yes. But I think the rap in the last 10 year's has really changed and not for the better with the exception of Eminem. With the death of Tupac, Biggie Small's, and Eazy-E rap has just gone down the toilet for me.

KiwiNZ
January 15th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I like a wide range of music genre , But Rap yuck yuck yuck

It rhymes with something , now what was that;)

Twitch6000
January 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Yes. But I think the rap in the last 10 year's has really changed and not for the better with the exception of Eminem. With the death of Tupac, Biggie Small's, and Eazy-E rap has just gone down the toilet for me.

Hold up... Eminem has not made a new album for awhile now... and there is atleast two others that are alot better then him that came from when rap started...

Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg come to mind....

I am not saying Rap is still good(hell anything after around 02 sucks),but there are still some good rappers :P.

johnb820
January 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I find the genre, at least the music that typically accompanies rap, to be generally harsh, cold and dull. I have a hard time relating to the lyrics but then I will admit I have hardly scratched the surface but what little I hear (not from radio) gives me little reason to look further. It's just not my type of music the same way most country never will be.

Firestem4
January 15th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I feel exactly how the original poster Nkri does, about rap. It sounds exactly the same, and as far as lyrical content is. It is only about money, sex, and the same bass line.

To give a fair statement. Today's rap is MUCH worse than old-school rap. (And i dont mean the east-cost west coast, thug life crap) Good stuff. The onyl rap song I genuinely like is Moment of Truth by GangStarr.

And other than that the ONLY good rap is P.O.D. (and as a stretch, Linkin Park.) =_)

BGFG
January 15th, 2009, 10:24 PM
not very much since 1999. but the argument that it all sounds the same it true and false at thet same time. yes it has degraded into 'what i have' culture, but if you are not pre-disposed to liking something that no matter what it will all sound the same. i listen to a lot of lternative and rock and have many pesons tell me that it just sounds like repetative noise.
And what about techno ? I love it but i am very choosey otherwise it DOES sound the same. To someone who isn't into classical, same rules apply.

I personally think the majority of content on the mainstream airwaves is low quality, so a lot of my time is spent looking for new artists and sounds off the beaten track...

mamamia88
January 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM
its all relative i can find at least one song i like from every music genre

era86
January 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I think if you can distinguish that "rap" is pretty much a highly commercialized charade based on hip-hop culture, you'd hate it. Rap has no meaning these days. You have to look for true artists who actually have poetic talent (Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli), and not "rappers" (Soulja Boy).

Shpongle
February 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I think if you can distinguish that "rap" is pretty much a highly commercialized charade based on hip-hop culture, you'd hate it. Rap has no meaning these days. You have to look for true artists who actually have poetic talent (Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli), and not "rappers" (Soulja Boy).

yea real hip hop, with MEANINGFUL lyrics, the levels of creativity in hip hop is ridiculous, i mean it changed my life.....

first off for those that think they know "RAP" , well thats the mainstream crap theyre feedin you thru the radio and crappy mtv, telling you about there millions and guns and crap!!!, thats all a manufactured image

so turn off the radio & tv, switched mine off a long time ago, choose what you want to watch and listen too,like you choose your os :D, secondly rap is a form of expression, hip hop is the artform for me i was captured lyrically initially, but then the music took control, then i got into music production and things just got absolutely ridiculous . i was thinkin on level and going in depth to thing i never thought possible.

i got a bit ahead of myself there, ok so i started lisinging to tupac first.........now i know he deals with a lot of "gangsta" topics in his songs and stuff, but there also a lot of deep stuff, in his songs......got me thru some really difficult times in my life!!
if you then study his technique youll see amazing uses of poetic techniques. the difference with pac is he was real, he wasnt makin it up like 99% of them.

as time went on i began getting more and more and more music, and eventually i lost count, but i got into j dilla and let me tell you
the guy was a creative genius, best producer ever in my opinion, he could do any style and sound and sample anything, and still keep the soul in it,

i went off on a bit of a rant there but il just give yous the list or proper artists to check out

J dilla- life changing
the pharcyde - raw hip hop
Q-tip - lyrical genious with a rediculious flow
fugees - old school lauryn hill is fantastic
mf doom - great lyrically and great producer
mos def - great
erykah badu - soulful
talib kweli - great
d'angelo- love makin music
slum village - on dilla beats
lupe fiasco - lyrical genious
nas - earlier stuff is best
a tribe called quest- amazing
2pac- if you can look past the sterotyped image hes portrayed as and hear the real him

common - not his new album tho
nujabes - japanese hip hop producer very relaxed stuff
till bronner - jazz infused hip hop all live instruments

theres loads im just naming a few but check them all out,

but check out dillas beats ............

instrumental hip hop is just as thought provoking if not more than lyrical

and when you get done check out some old soul jazz and classic rock

hip hop has oped my mind and my ear.........its such a powerful force
if ny one wants to know moe feel free to pm me or if you wanna talk artists or samples ......whatever pm me

enjoy and dont brand crap as hip hop

PuddingKnife
February 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hell yes I do.

But Im very picky, and I dont think hip hop is as good as I remember.

Notable artists:

Immortal Technique (Probably the best wordsmith on the planet today, and has a strong message and meaning to his songs)

OutKast (constantly pushing the envelope in terms of what is acceptable in hip hop. Have really done some amazing things with their music)

Big L (Cut down before he got into the spotlight, but his ability with lyrics puts most other rappers to shame)

Talib Kweli/Mos Def/Common/Pharoahe Monch (hip hop artists in the "conscious" style. Positive messages in their music with a battle rapper style and delivery)

deap prez (Revolutionary hip hop with strong message. Like what Public Enemy used to be)

Thats pretty much all the rap/hip hop I listen to .. I cant stand rap in the MTV/radio style.

liamnixon
February 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hip-hop is like any other genre of music. The mainstream stuff sucks, but when you start digging you find the good stuff that's not about "making it rain."

Like, as said, Dead Prez, as well as artists like Shingo2, Nujabes collaborative records are really good albeit not well mastered.

You just gotta look. :)

Danbc
February 13th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Yup, rap is also among the music catagories I like, but strongly prefer the oldschool stuff, it has more flow, and the lyrics isn´t as gangstercrap as it is today :)

icp
February 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Metal-la-la-la-la-la... Metal-la-la-la-la-la... Metal-la-la-la-la-la... Metal!!! La-la-la-la-la... (Nanowar :lolflag: )

-jay-
February 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
80s rap is the only rap i like i do not like todays ring tone crap

Rofko
February 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
A lot of crap being talked on here about hip hop.
While most can agree that the preoccupation with the promotion of a bogus gangster-fabulous lifestyle has been to the detriment of hip hop culture and music, people have always had the same problems with hip hop music. Frankly, people have always had a problem with it 'musically' essentially because they perceived it as music made by poor (read: criminal) black people.
There is loads of great great hip hop around. Some pretty poor stuff is being marketed at the moment, but this is for a number of reasons, which I don't really want to go into here. In any case, to say that all hip hop sounds the same really shows the ignorance of some people regarding a subject matter they feel so strongly about. Given hip hop's use of sampling and the culture that stems from this, it is the most musically diverse genre of all. Content of lyrics is an issue I can understand, but frankly, there is great variation there too. All genres, when marketed, tend to begin to fall into stereotypes in terms of lyrical content.

If you don't like it because of the lyrics, you either aren't listening, or have not heard enough. If you don't like it because your ear doesn't like the same loop of music with lyrics over the top, fair enough, but then you probably don't like blues, a lot of rock, funk, soul or a lot of electronic music either.

Bölvaður
February 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
If you don't like it because of the lyrics, you either aren't listening, or have not heard enough.

Well if you listen to music because of the lyrics you really should stop listening to music and go attend a poem meetings :lolflag:

fleaaccela
June 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
old topic, but i'm bringing it back.

i don't really listen to rap, i mostly listen to hiphop. rap is a number of different things depending on your perspective.

1) rap can be defined as an act of talking over a dj or an instrumental beat, similar to the jamaican tradition of "toasting"

2) rap can be defined as a type of music similar to hiphop, but geared towards selling units as opposed creating an artform

i'm almost 30 now, and i'm tired of trying to tell anyone anything about hiphop and rap (two seperate things). the only point i can make to anyone anymore is this -

first things first - the question of plagarism through sampling is the most common dispute, especially inside the hiphop world. someone like puff daddy who takes 18 seconds of the police's "every breath you take" and loops it without making any changes to the music creates just as much frustration and anger inside the hiphop communuity as it does outside of it. we don't like it, we don't support it and we don't perceive it as being legitimate. there is nothing creative about doing things like that and real hiphop fans acknowledge that.

innovators like dj premier, large professor, prince paul, the dust brothers, dj shadow and pete rock are masters of the artform, creating multiple layers of samples to create an entirely new sound. taking small bits of several songs, rearraging the notes, rearranging the drums and pasting them all together to create an entirely different arragement.

"they don't play instruments and are therefore not musicians" is a major repeated argument of rock music purists. while i understand their rage, i cannot agree. it's like someone who is a fan of paintings saying that sculptures, collages or mixed media art pieces are not art.

as far as hiphop music goes, it is technically music. while musicians play music in a traditional sense with instruments, many hiphop producers utilize already recorded music to create a collage of sound. while some collages may be repetitive and completely uncreative, there more that stand out as being creative as opposed to those that aren't. sampling can be viewed almost as a competitive sport in the hiphop community, just as one who plays the guitar in virtous manner will impress people as opposed to someone who plays the guitar in a simple manner.

the best part about hiphop is the sampling. anyone who truly loves music has to appreciate hiphop for this reason alone -

hiphop strives to bring back to the forefront music that has otherwise been forgotten. older music like jazz, funk and underground rock from the 60's and 70's which have completely vanished off the face of the earth as far as acknowledgement of the genres are concerned live on through hiphop music as if the music was released yesterday. again, this is also something that can be viewed as competitive in the hiphop world. fans of the music don't want to hear the same old james brown beat, they want to hear something rare and new. the producers strive to find records that no one else has and exploit a small section of music that is absolutely brilliant. just that one 2-3 second sound that was recorded can vanish quickly when listening to an entire song and can easily be forgotten. with hiphop, the spirit continues to live on. an artist that may have been forgotten otherwise will continue thrive and receive credit and love from people who would not know they even existed in the first place decades after the fact. it's music history at it's finest.

when a hiphop fan hears a hiphop song that they like, they often do a little research to find out exactly where the music that was sampled came from. more often than not, the song that was sampled becomes a regular part of the listener's diet and leads to the discovery of more music that is similar. if it were not for hiphop, i wouldn't know a damn thing about jazz, and i love jazz almost more than anything else.

all in all, hiphop is more of a celebration and an embracement of the creative music other musicians have blessed us with throughout the last century. it's almost like taking an advanced course in forgotten music. those who are truly into it understand it and have little time for those who discredit it.

while you may see lots of rap on television and on the radio, understand that hiphop heads do not listen to this music. we don't like it, we never have and that type of music being negative is often a subject mentioned in hiphop lyrically.

as far as the lyrical content - that is either hit or miss, as rock music is. i often view the lyrical content of hiphop as being a part of the rhythm structure of the music as opposed to notes that are sung in a melodic way in other forms of music. sometimes i don't even care what the mc is talking about, sometimes i do. sometimes it's negative, sometimes it's positive.

if you want to find out about hiphop music and what it's really about in a mature and intellectual way, i suggest finding a magazine called "wax poetics". it's a bi-monthly magazine, easily found at borders books & music, that focuses on hiphop, jazz, funk and lots of forgotten small-run vinyl releases that are incredible recordings but unfrtunately never made "the mark" on music history.

xyz
September 13th, 2009, 05:06 AM
The thing is RAP is not music

hoppipolla
September 13th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Sometimes it can sound wicked :)

lisati
September 13th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Sometimes it can sound wicked :)
Depending on your perspective, the term "wicked" can either be a good thing or a bad thing.

Shifting the focus slightly, I'm not entirely comfortable with how the meaning of the term "DJ" has shifted in some circles from someone who plays music to an audience by playing records (vinyl)/CDs/whatever to someone who treats the turntable(s) and disk(s) as a musical instrument. If I'd tried that sort of thing on our family's record player when I was little, I'd probably get a severe telling off, possibly accompanied with percussive effects provided with the help of a suitable instrument (e.g. a wooden spoon).