PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] V!$t@ Refugee Needs Help With Creative Zen Micro Sync

TuneLovinJacket
September 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I've been running Ubuntu for about 24 hrs now and it almost makes me glad the OS (whose name should not be spoken) killed my computer. I really like what I've seen so far.

I ran Media Monkey for years and REALLY liked the player, but they don't have a Linux version, and all the work arounds seem more complicated than I want. So I am beginning to use Amarok.

I have yet to successfully mount my ipod 5G Video, but I am pursuing that in a different thread.

My trusty Creative Zen Micro 5GB is at this moment successfully mounted and connected. I can see the contents listed under the device tab on the left side and all seems well.

What now?

In Media Monkey, I was able to select which playlists, artists, genre or albums I wanted sync'd and it would move all the music selected to the Zen, if there was music on the Zen not marked to sync it would remove it from the Zen, and it would update the play counts in the MM database to reflect the songs played on the Zen since the last sync.

Does Amarok have a way to sync the Zen?

Thanks in advance for your help as I learn about the New World

HellNoire
September 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Does Amarok have a way to sync the Zen?

Most likely but I don't use Amarok myself, I don't like the 'end all' bit of it, how it can sync your devices and play your music, but that's my two cents. I've got a Creative Vision M Zen, the precursor to the model you've got, and I've got the syncing down with something called Gnomad2. It's in the Distros, it's fast, and while a bit on the ugly side, works better then anything else I've seen. Give it a shot.

That's one thing we learn quick under Linux. There isn't just one way of doing something, there never is. Windows, we're confined, Vista more so then all the others (talking from experience) and the only reason I use it is for my girlfriend, because she's still trying to understand it. ;) Best of luck with you.

TuneLovinJacket
September 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Trying it now.

Gnomad2 then is just a way of moving files between the computer and the Zen. It doesn't update play counts or last played or rating between the Zen and the computer?

bhospadaruk
April 28th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Trying it now.

Gnomad2 then is just a way of moving files between the computer and the Zen. It doesn't update play counts or last played or rating between the Zen and the computer?

That's pretty much it, it's very simple. I'm using the standard Rhythmbox that comes with Ubuntu and it's fairly full featured - I'm happier with it than Gnomad 2. But - I had to load new firmware on my Zen Micro, the firmare provided the "Play for Sure" facility. Works great now!

BDNiner
April 28th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I use Rhythmbox with my creative zen and it syncs ratings and play counts. It will not sync album covers though. I don't know about last played.