PDA

View Full Version : Going to put this notice in my window

charleyramm
December 26th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I was just hoping you kind people would either wish me luck, or point out some new ideas or problems i might face. Other than spellchecking, which i will do before i stick it up, but open office takes me so damned long to start! ;-)

Need a FREE equivelant to Windows XP?

Ubuntu linux! Come inside and give it a try. You can request a free cd from www.ubuntulinux.org or download the ISO cd image and make your own.

If you need help using ubuntu linux I am available outside of my college times for £10 per hour. There is also very good free support available via the internet on www.ubuntulinux.org

Also, if you have any spare or unused computers I would very much like to have them. You would be surprised what you can make use of with a copy of linux, and a little ingenuity!

Basic Ubuntu computers to be for sale.

Also on the cards are ubuntu lessons. User, Admin, and MrFixit to be the levels of intensity. Come inside and have a talk if you are interested in this idea, or want to help.

charleyramm(AT)fastmail.fm

machiner
December 27th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I was just hoping you kind people would either wish me luck, or point out some new ideas or problems i might face. Other than spellchecking, which i will do before i stick it up, but open office takes me so damned long to start! ;-)
Good luck with that.

Lovechild
December 27th, 2004, 04:31 PM
free equalivant -> superior alternative

otherwise, good luck.

charleyramm
December 27th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Well thank you all for wishing me luck. The people of Norwich might be pretty strongly attached to their windows XP. Then again, they might not? Who can say until they have tried. I was thinking i could make an order of free cds to try giving away from my window and started wondering about an official poster.

If every order of cd's came with a nice a4 ubuntu poster to stick in your window, people in built up areas could give away any spare disks to passers by. Maybe it could even have one of those, ever so nice, ubuntu calender models on it? [-o<

machiner
December 27th, 2004, 09:31 PM
charleyramm --

I was being kind-of sarcastic. I don't know how that "offering" you wrote will go over where you're from, but in my neck of the woods, you wouldn't have many takers.

You have to realize the level of spinthat msoft purports -- then you will realize that your opening line of:

"need a free alternative to WIndows XP?" will attract noone. Further, you don't really tell them anything, you just say -=- go download Ubuntu.

What's Ubuntu? And what's with the silly name?

If you want to attract the attention of people, make them WANT something.

You should write something like this - no, you cannot use what I wrote, it needs work:
#########################################

Linux has arrived...Until today people the world over had to rely on a buggy, insecure and very expensive operating system: Windows. UNtil today the operating system we all wanted and needed could only be operated by geeks or IT administrators...well Our Day HAs Arrived:

Say hello to Ubuntu, a free, secure, tested, and extremely reliable Desktop Operating System. Yes, you can run it, and yes, you will realize what personal computing was supposed to be: Fast, Secure, FREE, and FUN!

Please visit this site to learn all about Ubuntu. If you need further information or assistance with your introduction to Ubuntu, please -- call me at:
or Visit me:

It's that exciting. Finally, worry-free computing has arrived
###############################

Work that, you'll have takers. Take an ad out in the local paper, and on the local college rag, also, get a paragraph in your local church newsletter. You WILL be plenty busy.

Hey, hope I helped.

charleyramm
December 28th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Thats brilliant machiner. Ill keep on trying.
I can't imagine i would do badly to have a stack of free install / live cds in the window for people to try. You are right i'm sure though, it needs more compelling arguments. I don't think i am typically very good at 'bigging things up'. Its just not my style. But I'll have to put that behind me i guess.

If the mood grasps you, i'd like some more 'positive' talking. Superior alternative, I never looked back, etc.

machiner
December 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Email me and I'll help you any way I can.

I was a sales manager/marketer for some time and I might be able to help you.

my email is in my profile...The thing about people is that :

A) They don't generally trust anyone younger than them (esp. with new ideas they're not familiar with)
B) See A.

Yeah - SOTR -- that's my new favorite song (but I play rock and jazz on my bass). I think that version is just beautiful, happy...all that warm & fuzzy stuff.

ThinkBuntu
May 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Need a FREE equivelant to Windows XP?

Ubuntu linux! Come inside and give it a try. You can request a free cd from www.ubuntulinux.org or download the ISO cd image and make your own.

If you need help using ubuntu linux I am available outside of my college times for £10 per hour. There is also very good free support available via the internet on www.ubuntulinux.org

Also, if you have any spare or unused computers I would very much like to have them. You would be surprised what you can make use of with a copy of linux, and a little ingenuity!

Basic Ubuntu computers to be for sale.

Also on the cards are ubuntu lessons. User, Admin, and MrFixit to be the levels of intensity. Come inside and have a talk if you are interested in this idea, or want to help.

charleyramm(AT)fastmail.fm
Nobody will stop and read that. How about this?

Free yourself
(from Windows)
[ubuntu logo]
Ubuntu Linux: 100% Free

[some positive quote from a non-linux reviewer of Ubuntu]

Ozor Mox
May 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
It was originally posted in 2004. I think the forums are under a spam attack! Take cover!

ThinkBuntu
May 15th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Here's a very quick mockup that I think would get the message across quickly. You deliver a ton of information available at the website already.

http://www.703designs.com/images/Free-yourself.jpg

You can get that at http://www.703designs.com/images/Free-yourself.jpg

%hMa@?b<C
May 15th, 2007, 06:39 PM
dont advertise ubuntu as a free equivelant to windows xp. Users will only be upset and disappointed. Make sure that you say that it is different and will look and act differently from windows.

SZF2001
May 15th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Just throw this picture everywhere.

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/c/cf/UbuntuGates.jpg

They'll eat it up.