PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Cannot connect to wireless network - can't find answer on forum.

AndyJG
September 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hello everyone.

I have another problem unsolved which I can't solve until the wireless Internet is connected.

I have an Orange Wireless router and a Edimax EW-7318UG which was bought as the Ubuntu site said it was supported by Hardy Heron. Wireless shows up in the Network Manager and I've put in the WEP key and network name etc (I have attached a screengrab showing what I've done). However, Firefox won't connect to the Internet. I've also tried the roaming mode with no luck.

I may have missed something here - on my Windows XP system you select from the wireless networks available and connect to the Internet that way but I can't find anything like this in Ubuntu, unless the Network Manager does this when it finds a network.

I'm getting a popup saying updates are available for my system - does this mean the Internet is connected? How would the system know updates were available otherwise?

I notice in other posts the output from a command in Terminal is asked for so I've done that - hopefully I've run the right code:

andy@bob-the-laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for andy:
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 10
bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 08:00:46:91:8f:60
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=half latency=128 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan1
serial: 00:1f:1f:03:2d:81
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
andy@bob-the-laptop:~$

I'd be grateful if anyone can advise on this.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Kevbert
September 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Rather than setting up wireless as shown in your screenshots try setting wireless to roaming mode. If you look at the top right-hand corner of the desktop you should have an icon consisting of two screens (if wireless is not enabled). Right click on it at make sure that wireless is ticked. If you left click on the icon you should get a list of available networks.

AndyJG
September 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Kevbert.

This is certainly a step forward - I now have my wireless network showing. However, there's an entry next to the network name showing '0%'. What does this mean? I still can't actually connect to the Internet.

Thanks again.

Andy.

superprash2003
September 24th, 2008, 05:27 PM
in your terminal type ifconfig and post output.. try pinging your router and post output

AndyJG
October 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hello everyone.

Sorry for the delay in completing this thread.

I've fixed the problem - I overlooked the 'pairing' button on the Orange Livebox. Doh! It's all up and running now.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Andy.

random turnip
October 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I have a similar problem with a HP built in wireless card but the Wireless Connection option isn't even in Network settings box!