PDA

View Full Version : Who uses mouse gestures?

vishzilla
September 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
And for what application. I use it for Firefox using FireGestures.

Thanoulis
September 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Mouse is evil. Use keyboard. For Firefox try vimperator.

daverich
September 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
wow.

to be honest I'm surprised anyone uses mouse gestures.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

handy
September 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I can do a pretty good rabbit.

vishzilla
September 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Mouse is evil. Use keyboard. For Firefox try vimperator.

Why is it? Did it bite you? ;)

Pogeymanz
September 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I use mouse gestures in Firefox and Opera.

I'm usually a keyboard only kind of guy, when I'm doing actual work. But I like only using the mouse when I'm mindlessly web-browsing. And the gestures really become second-nature very quickly.

SunnyRabbiera
September 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I dont use mouse gestures as I am always dropping my mouse

aysiu
September 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I've found mouse gestures useless.

I'm already doing everything I can do avoid having to use a mouse. Keyboard shortcuts all the way!

Kingsley
September 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I use All-in-One Gestures on Firefox.

Lostincyberspace
September 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I use my mouse allot but I like clicking buttons. I will also swirl my mouse around randomly at times (a really weird ocd thing) and it is not fun to jump around on the web randomly.

Dr Small
September 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM
mouse is evil. Use keyboard. For firefox try vimperator.
+1!

corney91
September 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I would usually refrain from using the mouse but when browsing the web in Opera my preference reverses - I hardly use the keyboard and love the forward/back mouse gestures:)

days_of_ruin
September 20th, 2008, 06:09 PM

ditto

fatality_uk
September 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Nope. I have an 9 button mouse and that does a LOT :)

earthpigg
September 20th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I use my mouse allot but I like clicking buttons. I will also swirl my mouse around randomly at times (a really weird ocd thing) and it is not fun to jump around on the web randomly.

same thing here. i cant read text without highlighting random parts of it.

RiceMonster
September 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I find mouse gestures really annoying. I don't want something to happen because I moved my mouse in a certain direction or way or whatever. I don't see any advantage at all to using them either.

I'm already doing everything I can do avoid having to use a mouse. Keyboard shortcuts all the way!

Me too.

Lostincyberspace
September 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
same thing here. i cant read text without highlighting random parts of it.
What really funny is reading this thread just now I found I can use the forward & back buttons on my MX Revolution in Firefox, I didn't think it would work. So I think I might get used to using the buttons.

conehead77
September 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I use it for closing tabs on firefox (ctrl-F4 is so inconvenient; is there another shortcut? can i change them?) and sometimes for switching tabs, but thats it.

cardinals_fan
September 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Opera w/mouse gestures.

handy
September 21st, 2008, 03:06 AM
My 5 button mouse covers forward & back (when I think to use it).

I am happy using the mouse. It has been so many years since I did any coding that I have lost any dislike that I may have had for the GUI.

I use some key combinations, but not a great deal, as I my memory is not what it was, & I find life on the computer just as it is to be perfectly comfortable for me.

Dr Small
September 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM
I use it for closing tabs on firefox (ctrl-F4 is so inconvenient; is there another shortcut? can i change them?) and sometimes for switching tabs, but thats it.
CTRL + W, or install keyconfig.

GrouchoMarx
September 21st, 2008, 06:24 AM
I use Easystroke (http://easystroke.wiki.sourceforge.net/) for general window management (it's a really useful app).

For firefox I use FireGestures (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6366).

Luffield
September 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
I use Mouse Gestures Redox on Firefox and Easystroke for everything else.

Actually I understand those who try not to use the mouse at all. Ideally I wouldn't use the mouse too, but web browsing is much more comfortable with mouse IMO. On top of that, I'm really lazy so I tend to keep my right hand where it is - so if it's on the mouse I'll try to do everything with mouse gestures (or toolbars/menus) and if it's on the keyboard I'll try to do everything with the keys.

I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who installed, uses and loves both Easystroke and Gnome-Do :)

Arathorn
September 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
I use gestures in Firefox with all-in-one gestures. I also have the habit of highlighting text I'm reading, but you have to press the right mouse button to activate the gestures, so I rarely use them when I don't want to. I have the cheapest two-button + wheel mouse possible, so no web browsing buttons on my mouse.

RiceMonster
September 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM

I think you can change it in GNOME, but I know you can change it in tons of others as well like Xfce, Openbox, Fluxbox, pretty much any titling WM, etc.

wolfen69
September 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM

Fire Gestures is the absolute best i've found. can't do without it.

HermanAB
September 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Gee, I think that rodents and pads are annoying enough, without adding more ways for it to screw up. So I'm quite amazed that some people are actually using it. I guess it is in the same small class as a Dvorak keyboard.

Washer
September 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Nope. I have an 9 button mouse and that does a LOT :)
Same. I used to use gestures till i got a decent mouse.

lovinglinux
September 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM
I use FireGestures, but since I discovered easystroke on this thread I'm wondering if I really need FireGestures?

Dr Small
September 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
gee, i think that rodents and pads are annoying enough, without adding more ways for it to screw up. So i'm quite amazed that some people are actually using it. I guess it is in the same small class as a dvorak keyboard.
+1