PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sudo = segmentation fault (core dumped)

rwabel
September 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I've done some bad libc6 upgrades and since then all su or sudo commands terminate with a segmentation fault

I've tried to follow howto : repair your broken ubuntu using livecd (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=422523), bit that also doesn't help as I get ther the same error

ubuntu@ubuntu:/etc$ sudo chroot /mnt/repair su
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
ubuntu@ubuntu:/etc$

Is there a way to still be able to fix my system?

Pumalite
September 20th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Post the entire output of:
sudo --configure -a

rwabel
September 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Post the entire output of:
sudo --configure -a

I can even no longer log into my system

rwabel
September 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
or is there a way to upgrade the system to ibex for example without needed to log into the current system? This would for sure fix the issue

Pumalite
September 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Can you get into Recovery Mode?

rwabel
September 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Can you get into Recovery Mode?

no oit also segment faults after a while

Pumalite
September 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Save your data and do a clean install. Check your drive with TestDisk while you are at it.

rwabel
September 20th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Save your data and do a clean install. Check your drive with TestDisk while you are at it.

the drive is not the problem, the only problem is that I did upgrade wrong libc6 package. I would like to keep the current installation and just fix libc6, but it seems impossible due to that segmentation fault, as not able to boot into the OS, from rescue I also get that segmentation fault.

probably I really need to install my os new. I will then go directyl with ibex and manually put back the important stuff from my old hardy parition

rwabel
September 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Did a new installation and all fine now. At least I have now after several generations of upgrade a new clean installation