PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dell c610 want to install ubuntu

maddmartigan
September 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM
mywife justgot a dell c610 from work for 50 bucks....problem is there is NOTHING on it, it tellsme there are no bootable devices on it.She said that here work dumped it, it had win2x according to the sticker, I have been wanting to try a linux based machine for a while, dso will justdownloading the live cd and putting it in the dvd drive get it up and running? Thanks and sorry for being long winded

northern lights
September 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
The Dell c610 shipped with the following specs:
733MHz to 1GHz Pentium III-M CPU
256MB SDRAM, 512KB L2 cache
ATI Radeon Mobility, 16MB DDR RAM
20GB hdd

Compare those with the system requirements (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements) of the respective Ubuntu family products.

You could most likely get (K)Ubuntu to run on the comp, but for a smooth and enjoyable experience it'd be advisable to choose a more lightweight distribution. Within the Ubuntu family, Xubuntu, using XFCE, would be a more suitable choice.

jivabill
October 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM
I have a Latitude C610 with Ubuntu 7.10 installed. Works fine. The machine came with Win XP Pro on it. So it has plenty of horsepower for Ubuntu.

The only problem I have is controlling the brightness of the display. On Win you do that with the Fn key and the arrow keys. That don't work on Ubuntu. There are several discussions of command line fixes for this. I tried the most promising one and it so far don't work.

I think this problam can be solved, I just have to keep poking around till I find out how.
Good luck, it is an OK laptop. Not like the fancy new ones but it don't cost $2,000 either.
bill

Gannon8
October 2nd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Try a net-based install.

If you cannot do that, you can take the hard drive out of the laptop, put it in a USB enclosure, then install it on another computer.

Only problem is that it wouldn't install packages specific to the computer.

Paqman
October 2nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
Might be worth checking that it actually has a hard drive in it, too. A lot of companies remove the drives and destroy them before selling old computers.

If it doesn't have one, you could use the LiveCD (with a USB stick for persistence (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent)) until you can get one.